back to article Apple: Yes there are horrendous accidents, but we CARE

Tim Cook has sent a letter to all Apple employees stressing how much the company cares about industrial accidents in its Chinese factories. It comes a day after a graphic story in the New York Times about an explosion in a Chinese iPad factory and two weeks after Apple released a new Supplier Code of Conduct that goes into …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Anonymous Coward

Any company using slave labor or sweat shops...

...should be ostracized but consumers are dumb. They buy primarily on price and don't know or care about the slaves who produced the products so CEOs could get multi-million dollar annual bonuses. Most people are in serious denial about the FUBAR world we live in and financial greed.

Anonymous Coward

And fortunately so for those "slaves" who would get even worse jobs if people stopped buying eg Chinese products.

What else would they do? Spray DDT on farms by hand? Look at how people lived in China before their "industrial revolution" (try 80s) and how they live now. Not many would want to go back to a small bowl of rice a day.

Anonymous Coward

They'ed stop having kids...

...learn to live within their society or come to the land of entitlement, aka the U.S.

Anonymous Coward

You don't have a clue about other societies do you?

Such societies don't tradionality have things like pensions and retirement, so parents rely on their children to survive. No kids = life worse than death at old age.

They also can't go to the US because 1) their country doesn't let them (to this day most Chinese are still not eligible to have passports) 2) the US wouldn't let them anyway...

Anonymous Coward

For all those who think Chinese slavery is good...

...we'll swap you for a Chinese slave. You get to move to China and live their life for 10 years and they come to the U.K. or go to the U.S. and live your previous life. Then in ten years you can tell us all again how lucky the folks in China are to be slaves so CEOs in the U.S. can reap fortunes annually in salary bonuses.

The stupidity that passes for knowledge is disgraceful.

Anonymous Coward

Foxconn is a Taiwanese company, not US or Chinese either - but that starts getting complicated.

You'll also find many Chinese CEOs quite rich, look at ZTE or Huawei... Here's a list of Chinese billionaires to get you started: http://www.forbes.com/lists/2005/74/Worth_1.html

But more on topic I suggest you take a time machine (hopefully not made in China) and go back in time 15-20 years to China, before outside companies brought industry to China. Oh what joy their lives were back then without the "evil" US investment, what a great life it we working the pest infested rice paddies, no healthcare, no transport, and no salary other than a bowl of rice.

Muppet.

FAIL

Congratulations

You win the Golden Strawman Award for spectacularly arguing against a position that no-one was actually taking i.e. the idea that slavery, Chinese or otherwise, is "good".

I agree with your comment about stupidity passing for knowledge, though.

Alert

They need to boycott all phones and tablets if they are true to there convictions

I hope people will realize that if you want to boycott because of working condition in China, you need to simply not buy phones or tablets at all because they are all made there. Foxconn is in fact one of the best of those factories where workers line up in hope to get a job.

If you're going to buy a Samsung phone instead you are shooting yourself in the foot twice, you're hurting a US company over a Corean one and you're not helping conditions in China at all...

Americans are completely disconnect from the dynamic of the situation in China. The factories may not be paradise, but the alternative is even worst. Its up to the Chine governement and the people of China to come up with solutions.

Anonymous Coward

Why just phones and tablets?

The problem is widespread across all industries. The electronics industry is actually not as bad as others, thtat's why they get so many applications for jobs whenever there's vacancies.

So if you want to start boycotting, boycott everything from China. Good luck with that.

You may want to start by throwing away your computer, broadband router, energy saving lightbulbs, car, man food items these days, clothes... All made in factories with worse conditions that phones...

Bronze badge
Stop

@Herba

"They need to boycott all phones and tablets if they are true to there convictions"

No. "They" don't need to do anything, if you mean consumers.

Apple, as well as the rest of Silicon Valley need to stop with the happy talk in the bubble. Slavery is a systemic result of Capitalism. This has never been addressed, only reinvented (going on 5.000 years now). There is no other end game to the Business Model - manufacturing industries get there eventually. Left all to themselves, Silicon Valley reinvented slavery in Asia and indentured servitude in the valley itself (lawsuit about "poaching employees"). Again - all by themselves!

Where is Sir Arthur Conan Doyle when we need him ?

The crime of the Congo (soon to not be a Hollywood Movie, out of Copyright)

http://www.archive.org/details/crimeofcongo00doyliala

Anonymous Coward

Gee no volunteers from the UK or US

I'm shocked we don't have any volunteers from the UK or US that want to exchange places with those lucky bastard slaves in China that have it so good because scumbag CEOs feel the need to have goods produced in slavery in China. I would think UK and US citizens would be lined up to swap jobs with those lucky slaves in China.

Where are you folks... the ones that believe the slaves are so lucky thanks to big companies that export jobs for personal financial gain?

Anonymous Coward

Are you a real moron or just talking out of your ass? Do you know what slavery is?

These employees joined these companies by their own choice and are free to leave their current jobs for other companies, plus they get paid - a lot more than the national average salary.

Maybe you should learn the true meaning of slaves by taking a work vacation in North Korea. I hear they do work for the west as well...

Mushroom

who cares

I hate Apple the entire idea of it from proprietary to slick to ego boo. Yet I see no resaon to give a darn if factory workers in ANY factory suffer. I did...when I got tired of it, on one occaission I organized a union, and on another, I got fired for trying to do so. This may be the one aspect of Apple that is dcecent and honest...straight up exploitation, much more pleasant than left loony baloney.

Anonymous Coward

The sign up list is here

Those willing to swap their current job in the UK or US with a slave laborer in China helping CEOs to receive many million dollar annual bonuses for supporting slavery please sign up below so we can make arrangements for your trip to China for the next 10 years... Remember it's an honor to be a slave to a wealthy US CEO.

Correction from BSR

It's probably worth mentioning that the corporate responsibility consultant firm BSR, corrected some of the accusations made in the New York Times article, the main being that Apple knew and could act tougher against worker rights abuses but had purportedly chosen not to. Although the main thrust of the article isn't questioned, some of the more incendiary accusations are.

Yawn...

Listening to Apple's empty words of concern on this issue is starting to grow seriously tiring.

They can quote audit's and inspections all they want, because like every type of audit, a complete fraud of best behaviour will be put on for show. I know it, you know it, they know it.

Apple can tell us they care until the world ends, they obviously don't, or else they wouldn't be doing business with these factories in the first place. How about Apple pull back the manufacturing to the west, and make only say $350 profit per handset instead of $400. With a $100bn in the bank, I imagine they could afford to.

(those figures were from a recent news item suggesting a $650 iphone 4s costs $196 to make)

Anonymous Coward

Nokia

Ehm, Mr Tim Cook is quite far from telling the truth when he says that Nokia is doing the same. Actually Nokia has over 10 own factories, in all parts of the world, including few still in Europe, and alhough for sure they also use chinese subcontractors for some tasks, they made the phones by themselves. Apple doesn't have any own factories as far as I know? So, sorry, but it's quite different and cannot be put into same basket.

"Most people are in serious denial about the FUBAR world we live in and financial greed."

Blissfully unaware, more like, given the sort of newspapers they read, and which rely heavily on advertising for the products of said FUBAR world.

As has already been noted, how many, faced with Fairtrade bananas at £1.20/kg or unfair-trade ones at £1 choose the former?

"Costs of $196 on a $649 device make for profits of nearly 70 per cent."

Only a salesman would come up with that sort of maths. I make it 231%

There's an open opportunity for Cook/Apple to show sympathy - make sure the casualties are cared for...

Unhappy

A tale of two quotes

Apple CEO Tim Cook : «We care about every worker in our worldwide supply chain».

Hon Hai (owner of subsidiary Foxconn) chairman Guo Taiming (aka Terry Gou) : «Hon Hai has a workforce of over one million worldwide and as human beings are also animals, to manage one million animals gives me a headache».

The difference between the caring Mr Cook, on the one hand, and the rather less caring Mr Guo, on the other ? What the latter really thinks gets by his PR consultants to a higher degree than in the former case....

Henri

Mushroom

China ?

"An explosion at the Ri-Teng (a subsidiary of Pegatron) factory in Shanghai injured 59"

If my memory serves, isn't Pegatron the manufacturer of HP's laptop motherboards for their I7 chips? The motherboards that had the overheating and BSOD problems because they packed the hot motherboard components too closely?

When are we gonna learn that China makes CRAP. Lead painted children's toys - poisonous dog food - drywall impregnated with volitile chemicals that made houses rebuilt after hurricane Katrina unfit for human habitation. All built in factories that use humans as replaceable parts. Injured workers that can no longer work can still serve the State - as fertilizer on China's state run farms. Even in death, China's subjects still serve the State. STOP BUYING FROM CHINA - make it yourselves at a decent wage. Their cheap labor is not worth the price Apple just paid.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums