back to article Record numbers of readers flock to The Register

The Register and its sister publications Reg Hardware and Channel Register climbed new heights in November 2011, bagging 46 million page impressions and 6.6 million "uniques" for the month. We now have a certificate to prove it. abc.org.uk/Certificates/17591287.pdf That represents a lot of thought, planning and hard work by a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Resizing MS ad was canned on Jan 10

We forwarded complaints to our ad ops team who killed the resize. Are you saying you are still getting this?

1. Nanki Poo
            Go

a-ha, coincidence!

It stopped resizing the day I moved (10th), I presumed it was a weird (and welcome) glitch because I am temporarily using slow mobile internet.

Naughty ad ops team, good El Reg. :)

nK

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Aw, thanks!

I just started reading El Reg again in November, after a break of a year or two. I'm quite touched that you noticed my triumphant return.

[Although slightly surprised it's had a measurable effect on your 'viewing figures'!]

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Madra, promise me one thing

Never leave

2. fishman

Congrats!

Congrats on the new record. I've been reading the Register as far back when it was an email digest before the web existed.

3. b166er

Re ad-blockers, I don't use them because the internet is powered by ads and I get that. HOWEVER, that recent spate of Microsoft page shifting ads nearly made me do it!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

We killed this ad - and have told ads not to do that again

4. Southern
    Pint

Have a celebratory pint.

5. Dibbles

ABCe?

Out of professional curiosity, why ABCe and not one of the online measurement companies like Nielsen or comScore? Not that they're better, just more commonly used, particularly if you're selling ads outside the UK...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

We have used both Neisen and Quantcast in the past.

Not necessary for UK or Oz markets - and for a small company with a big website like us, not hugely necessary in the US.

6. James Micallef Silver badge
    Boffin

el Reg units?

"de facto standard for measuring website size" no, no, no, this won't do.

I propose a new web traffic measure, the "Reg", equivalent to 6.6 million unique views.

The Register traffic for the month of November 2011 was therefore 1000 milliRegs

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: el Reg units?

I think you are onto something here.

7. geekclick
    Pint

Is there a break down..

where by you see who used what, such as browser types, device OS's such as MS, Android, iOS etc etc

However congrats on the figures, still read el reg off my google flavoured device whilst laying cable each morning, i have been reading for about 7-8 years, so thats alot of cable...! I even read off my PC in the afternoon as well, no other publication can boast this kind of readership from me...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

We do have that info - but don't monitor closely - except when we were trying to figure out when to kill support for IE6.

I'll drum something up in a week or two.

8. JimmyPage Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Well done gentlefolk

I know I was reading El Reg in 1998 .... have no idea when you persuaded me to sign up (I could check my profile I guess, but CBA).

Anyway, congratulations on (in the main) keeping me informed, and entertained, in a uniquely British way.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Possible pessimistic reason?

Of course the surge in hits could be down to more techies on the dole, with nothing to do all day but surf their favourite geek news site... ;-)

10. earl grey
    Happy

And yet.....

I still miss the Moderatrix and hope she's in form control, wherever......

congrats and have a pint!

11. ElReg!comments!Pierre
    Devil

So, for the sake of comparison...

... how well is The Inquirer doing?

About that infamous MS ad: first time I heard of it is here, and now. I do have JS turned off at all time; these days, I don't see any ad but the text ones. I suspect I might be stealing -part of- El Reg's lunch by doing so; serves you well for relying on JS.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: So, for the sake of comparison...

You would have to ask The Inquirer that. Let us know when you get the answer ...

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre

About that ad thing

Sorry I didn't get any answer from The Inquirer. It might or might not be related to the fact that I did not send the request to begin with.

Moving on, about that ad thing; some clever people are trying to find ways to monetize ad-blocking readers without being TOO evil. You guys probably know how to do it; I'm mentionning it in a pblic space because I would actually support it (for text-ads only, obviously). I almost feel guilty, not rewarding you guys for the stuff I read (not guilty enough to allow JS back on my systems; but guilty enough to publicly support "sneaky workarounds" that you guys could implement).

A nice example can be seen on:

http://damnsmalllinux.org/noscript-ads.html

(although John is seemingly having a hard time to sell that niche advertising space; El Reg has a larger audience so in your case it might just work).

12. Trevor_Pott Gold badge
    Pint

6.6 million readers

That's...really impressive. I'd like to put in my loud "hell yes" on the topic. I am glad my favourite technology magazine is doing so well. I maintain that El Reg is the best on the net for current events in IT; I don't think I could do my job without it! (Gotta know what the current and upcoming tech consists of!)

Cheers to El Reg and all of her staff. May the readership continue to grow year on year unto the end of time.

13. FrankAlphaXII
    Thumb Up

Well thats cool

Id rather read El Reg than most other tech sites because of the larger focus here on enterprise and development. Actually its about the only one that doesn't drive me crazy with the exception of Wired's Danger Room, though Spencer Ackerman grates on my nerves alot of the time.

And November was about the time I started being a commentard here. <sarcasm>So Im completely sure its my magnetic, non-abrasive personality driving up the scores</sarcasm>

14. Richard Altmann
    Pint

Bofh hooked me up

at a time when he was still terrorrising the campus.

That´s how i found You,dear El Reg and i never lever left You for a day since.

Setting up internet connections via HF Radio on tea estates in east-africa You where my reference test site.

(New Bofh out yet?). I´m shocked,you are worshipped by only less than 140.000 germans.

I´m gonna work on that.

Keep it up

Have a german Lager

15. Martin Maloney
    Trollface

I hate to break it to you folks...

...however, the readership stats have nothing to do with the quality of the articles on El Reg.

Rather, it is the increasing level of sophistication of the puns in the comments that is attracting your audience.

If you don't understand what I'm talking about, then get thee to a punnery!

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.