back to article Apple iPhone 4S grabs back ground lost to Android

Apple's decision to launch a tweaked iPhone 4 - the 4S - rather than a brand new iPhone 5 may have flabbergasted some pundits, but punters have taken to the phone and narrowed the gap between iOS and Android. According to US market watcher Nielsen, during the three months of October, November and December 2011, Android's share …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Ivan Headache
    Happy

simple things

Just to add to some of the comments above about consistency and ase of use.

The lovely Ivana, in a fit of rebellion, has just taken delivery of a Samsung Galaxy Mini (free from T-Mobile) because her sister had got one!

After getting it set up so that she could actually call people I kept getting asked why everything was so quiet when people called her. On checking I found that the volume was only just above minimum each time - then I noticed why. Unlike the iPhone where the on/off switch it on the top, Samsung have put their's on the right hand edge - just where the thumb falls for a righthanded user. In order to press the button to activate the phone you have to apply pressure to the left hand side of the phone - and guess what is there, immediately under the finger that'sproviding the resistance - yep, the volume down button. So to turn on the phone, she automatically turns down the volume. To turn the phone off - she automatically turns down the volume. At least its conssistent. But it's the same if you try to use the left hand, this ti,e the thumb is on the volume down button.

The other thing that is happening (the rough edges that someone mentioned) is that I keep getting calls on my phone (and so do a lot of her friends) that are unintentional - not trouser incidents, but made while she is actually trying to do something. Today I had one, "Sorry Ivan, I'm trying to find out who called me and everytime I look for missed calls I end up calling someone I didn't mean to." Sometimes it happens sveral times in 2 or 3 minutes.

She's beginning to regret listening to her sister now and not her ever-loving!

1. MerlynUK
      Joke

With respect to the side power button on the SGS2 and the accidental pressing of the volume down button, might i suggest that the phone is being held wrongly!(Joke!) Seriously I had the same misgivings abouth the SGS2 which is why I went for a different Android handset after having an iPhone 3GS for 2 years. With regards to the iPhone 3GS one of the biggest issues i had was the mute switch on the side - a great idea but very badly designed, it was far, far to easy to accidentally switch the phone onto mute when in your pocket, I missed countless calls because of this 'feature'. Now, the iPhone 4 and later have a redesigned mute switch so I assume that this problem has been rectified somewhat but it just goes to show that Apple don't always get their design right everytime! And as for accidently calling people, I found that happening on the iPhone ALL the time, thats the penalty for having a responsive touchscreen and not manually locking the phone after every call, so its not just an Android issue!

For the last 6 months of my contract I couldn't wait to get rid of my iPhone and get an Android so that I could set the phone up the way I wanted and not the way Apple wanted, I found iOS very limiting and frustrating. Time will tell if Android does what I want it to do better, but so far the novelty factor of playing with a new, flexible, customisable OS has not worn off and so far so good, and Ice Cream Sandwich is due for release for my handset in a few weeks...

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like