Mornington Crescent

Following my own suggestion Here's the thread for Mornington Crescent ... Monument

This topic was created by JimmyPage .

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

No other move will do

It's got to be Stebson's Gripper - how could I play anything else?

So I'll spin back off the loop, to:

Theydon Bois

If anyone's caught lisping, touching or groping at this point then they'll have Samantha to answer to! As well as being in Spoon, and possibly in chokey.

3. Mike Smith

Essex is not the only way

A brave move, Mr !Spartacus. I can either lose a pilot engine and reverse in the loop, or continue knowing that you'll overtake at the next junction. Should have spotted that before... thinks, thinks...

Ah, of course. This is a risky move, and far be it from me to risk the wrath of the lovely Samantha at this stage in the game, but I appear to have no other option. Time to play the Ecologist's Conversion:

Turnham Green.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

4. jake Silver badge

Turnham Green? Hmmmm ...

Shirley Kew Gardens?

Might be another Tulip Rule violation there ... And I think this round is on you, if I read the rules correctly. On the bright side, from your perspective, I'm just a Yank, so I've probably lost something in translation. Wouldn't be the first time, nor will it be the last.

During the meanwhile, I'll side-step the issue ... Gunnersbury

5. Mike Smith

But we too are allowed arms for defence

Or so the Bill of Rights says.

So a reversed wrong-road at South Kensington (allowed under the Museum Amendments 1976, ratified by the Stovald Committee's Fourth Article on 26th August 1977) even though the Tulip Rules originally mandated go-around at Heathrow takes me straight to:

Arsenal.

6. jake Silver badge

Oh, arse.

Clearly, Sir, you are a better man than I.

But I must riposte. The fine print of the third Fizzbin clause in the Original Handbook suggests that getting to Hyde Park Corner, then taking a cab to St. James Park is a valid move at this point.[1]

Obviously, from there: Temple.

Ha!

[1] Sorry, I've had entirely too much email. I had to give my fellow Yanks a hint. That probably puts me in Nidd permanently ... On the other hand, I'm kinda surprised TheMods@ElReg haven't closed this thread in the obvious manor ;-)

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: Oh, arse.

This game will continue until Samantha blows my horn, or I lose the will to live. Whichever comes first.

But please get on with it. I've got a gig in Hull in 2013.

1. jake Silver badge

Hull? Your face is familiar ...

Pass me the last of the summer wine, Cato ... Things might get ugly.

This sub-thread could get daft ... And I warn you, I won't get fooled again!

Turnham Green.

7. Mike Smith

Oh, they all look like that in Hull

Gentlemen, the lovely Samantha has been known to reanimate the dead with the flicker of an eyelash. It's no good losing the will to live; you don't escape from the Northern line that easily.

I'm unsure whether Jake's move to Turnham Green is a compliment, a threat or just an attempt to make me envious.

So I'll redouble on escalators, take a PlusBus and go where I can see for miles:

High Barnet.

8. jake Silver badge

In reverse order:

I have no ego in this forum. I never threaten. Must be a compunment ... SWMBO has convinced[0] me that The Lovely Samantha no longer has any affect on jake (note the lower case "j" ... it's an ego thing[1]).

Hansom Cab to Hackney, and on to Abbey Road.

[0] Side one, track two ... and THAT is no joke ;-)

[1] amanfromMars will probably now spontaneously combust ...

9. jake Silver badge

After a week+, obviously there is only one option.

Mornington Crescent.

Onwards & upwards ...

10. Magnus_Pym

Correct me if I'm wrong...

...I only have the twelve volume 'Shorter M-C reference' (I'm saving up for Thriblow's 'Combined Intrinsic), but doesn't the extended delay allow a call of Fotheringay's Myopia Recompense? In this case I think that would lead to Old Street wouldn't it?

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Correct me if I'm wrong...

I believe that's a short-sighted opinion (see the John Peel Collection), leading to something soft & cuddly.

Paddington.

1. Magnus_Pym

Re: Correct me if I'm wrong...

or, if Derbyshire's recycling provision has not been redacted.

Wimbledon

1. jake Silver badge

That'll cost you a pint of mild, mate.

Recycling's all very well and good ... as long as it's yeast. But Man does not live by beer alone, bread is important. You can take that to the ...

Bank

1. TeeCee Gold badge

Re: That'll cost you a pint of mild, mate.

Bank? In the rush hour? On a Tuesday? That's just asking for a quick trip down the Yuppies' Train Set to:

Royal Victoria

11. jake Silver badge

Damn! I forgot it was Tuesday on that side of the pond ... Mea culpa.

But seriously, Royal Victoria? At this time of year? Not in these shoes ...

Rayners Lane

1. TeeCee Gold badge

Re: Damn! I forgot it was Tuesday on that side of the pond ... Mea culpa.

Rayners Lane......Claire Rayner.......Agony Aunt......Agony......Torture Chamber........Chamber of Horrors.......

Baker Street!

Of course, that leaves me with the Harrow Dilemma: Whether to alight at Harrow-on-the-Hill and chance the faster Watford train turning up soon enough to save a few minutes, or just stick with the stopping service out of Uxbridge........

1. jake Silver badge

Ouch!

Sounds like a trip to Harley Street may be in order.

Regent's Park

12. Roger Greenwood

The DLR has been largely ignored . . .

. . but a Tactical Order of Battle move, at Shadwell, would be a STOB.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: The DLR has been largely ignored . . .

Nice move!

But I think you'll find (reading the Dr. Dobbs variations) that most are veritytually unanimous in this scenario. Which, of course, leads us to 'er next door, in all 'er glory.

Wapping.

13. JimmyPage Silver badge
    Megaphone

We'll have to restart the game I'm afraid ...

Since Brompton Road has come back online.

14. Caleb Cox (Written by Reg staff)

Complete discombobulation for a young'un like me. People who confuse me can go to hell.

I'm sure you're All Saints, though.

15. jake Silver badge

Me? A Saint? Pfaugh.

Blackfriars ... & I'm sure The Lovely Patricia Holm agrees with me.

Take that, youngster!

16. BoldMan

after a bit of a lay off...

I would like to include the siderial depleneration option and plump for

Norton Folgate

Ha, that got ya!

17. Blofeld's Cat

Shame...

Had we been playing the original Edwardian Rules then I could have called Seymour Street at this point.

Oh well - Archway.

18. jake Silver badge

The wife points out ...

When playing Archway at the current phase of the moon, the infamous February 29th rules of 1964 (that we never talk about in public) probably apply ... And to my way of thinking, she's correct. Thus, obviously, North Greenwich.

19. Blofeld's Cat

Moon phase...

Best keeping away from the 29/2/64 controversy I find. Especially now that some newer players claim that the Jubilee Gambit overrides the arguments of both parties.

Got to be Westminster at this point, although I feel I've missed something obvious.

20. jake Silver badge

Good call, Señor/ita Cat.

I forgot about the Jubilee Gambit! Brain-fart on my part, and a good move on your part.

Regardless, what you missed is my obvious response: Waterloo. (See the Penzance section of the Major-General's "pirate rules" for clarification.)

21. Blofeld's Cat

Pirate rules...

Ah yes, of course. I'd completely overlooked Mansion House being huffed. Nice move.

How to respond? Well I suppose I could go for a Rushton's retrograde and call Angel, but I'm not sure that's advisable without the orange rule being declared first. I'd better go for safety.

Regents Park.

22. jake Silver badge

It's the weekend.

Safe and comfy with a beer at home is always a good thing :-)

Might not send up fireworks in everybody's mind, but: Swiss Cottage.

23. Roger Greenwood

Tricky

As we have already used Swiss Cottage once, I believe my only move is an Elsworthy Reversal:-

Chalk Farm

24. jake Silver badge

'twas late on a weekend evening. Comfy is good :-)

In penance for my lazyness, Liverpool Street.

25. Sean Timarco Baggaley

Liverpool Street?

Okay, it's taken me two weeks to think of my next move.

My wife suggested Tottenham Court Road, but then my brother reminded me that I'm not married and I must have forgotten to take my pills again. So scratch that.

I do believe I still have an "Obscure Media Reference" card to play, so, I'll need my passport to get to...

Pimlico.

26. This post has been deleted by its author

27. jake Silver badge

I have spotters at Old Hilltop most spring weekends ...

It's not quite June here in California ... the Wife & I had a totally home-grown Insalata Caprese as a starter for chow tonight ... Tomatoes, onions, basil & mozzarella were harvested/made here at the ranch, today. Nice to have a working garden and dairy.

Unfortunately, given the above & reading the "Martha Stewart incarceration pamphlet", my only true option is Kew Gardens. Can anyone get me out of this 'orrible fix?

28. TeeCee Gold badge

Kew Gardens eh?

Curse the rampant foliage at this time of year! It's a jungle out there[1] and that said from my vantage point in the Palm House too.

Overground moves only I'm afraid as I neglected to pack a machete. Willesden Junction.

[1] Although a very well kept and neatly manicured jungle, it has to be said.

29. jake Silver badge

About halfway into the Transit of Venus here in Sonoma ...

I rigged up a camera obscura in the kitchen, so we could watch it as we prepped supper. Pinhole in a bit of over exposed film, taped over a hole in a piece of cardboard. 112 inches away, a sheet of white cardboard. Provides an image about an inch in diameter ... The wife is fascinated. She's never seen this kind of thing.

Unfortunately, I think that the Lick Solar Rules means that her ignorance puts her firmly in Nidd until December, 2117. So it sucks to be me ... On the otherhand, I think the same rules say I have to go to Greenwich, which I think I've already used in this round, so I have to join her in Nidd :-)

30. Roger Greenwood

Anniversary

Bit of an Enigma there, being before 23rd June. Without a crib, and possibly not hatted, I can't be sure of the Baltic Traffic, so will play a Twinn inversion (thanks to the Kendrick insight) :-

Canary Wharf

31. spungo

Solstice

As it is Solstice, am I allowed to invoke McClusky's Gambit? I'll try anyway:

Kennington

32. Roger Greenwood

Cracking!

You nearly had be Steckered there, lucky I saw the Flowers exit.

Although we are nowhere near Foss Day, I believe I can take 2133 steps back to school :-

Grange Hill

33. This post has been deleted by its author

34. Sean Timarco Baggaley

Right, I'm back! I'd give it a few minutes if I were you.

And I'd definitely give the fish course a miss.

Where were we? Ah yes: Grange Hill. Nice place, but I wouldn't want to live there. (Mr. Bronson. Mrs. McCluskey. Pills. Not a good combination. I'm still having therapy.)

I think I'll make use of the Travaglia Manoeuvre, which should get me to...

>> CLICKETY! <<

Oh him? He's my boss. Bit the worse for wear, I'm afraid. I don't what he was drinking.

Great Scott! I appear to have accidentally violently torn off my boss' glasses and hurled them onto that nice, shiny, rail over there. Yes, that one there, sitting on top of the shiny white ceramic mountings.

Give me a moment while I push him off help him down to track level while nobody's looking...

>> BZZZEEEEERT! <<

Why no, officer! I have absolutely no idea what he was thinking!

The CCTV cameras were conveniently on the blink, were they? Gosh! How unfortunate!

No, no, no, officer! I swear, he stumbled, dropped his glasses and, before I could say anything, the poor fellow had leapt down from the platform to fetch them!

Where was I? Ah yes:

East Finchley!

35. jake Silver badge

A ripping of the cosmic fabric[1] ...

... somehow managed to shift the Wife & I out of Nidd over a century early. Landing us in ... East Finchley? WTF? The wife & I need a swift pint & a bite to eat ... Brixton.

[1]http://cosmicdiary.org/fmarchis/2012/09/10/another-fireball-on-jupiter/

36. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Quick exit

Hmmm. Smack-head dodging in the morning. Pull a half-pike to pimlico. Brisk walk to google, meander through green park for the crisp autumn air. Off to canary wharf chaps.

1. dogged

Re: Quick exit

Shit. Somebody went there.

Dollis Hill.

Sorry.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Quick exit

Cricklewood, Shirley?

37. dogged

Well played.

Swiss Cottage.

38. jake Silver badge

I think that puts you in Nidd ...

... Swiss Cottage having been played previously.

On the bright side, it's a short walk from Knaresborough to The Mile Post for a pint ... and they have an actual fireplace for you to dry out in front of.

So, obviously, York.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know ... but I like steam trains :-)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon