back to article French get unlimited mobile for €20

Disruptive French broadband provider Free Mobile has announced pricing for its new mobile venture, and it's cheap, really cheap, thanks to lots of Wi-Fi and femtocell offloading. For €20 a month the customer gets unlimited calls within France and to 39 other countries including the USA – and unlimited data too, with the price …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Femtocell

A tiny personal cellular base station that links back to the phone network via an internet connection. It's the next size down from a picocell...

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I pay £25.00 / month

This gives me a 2000 minutes, 5000 texts but the best part is I get *unlimited* data (yes, I mean unlimited unlimited - no caps or FUP's)

This means, I can use an app on my Jesus Phone called 3g Unrestrictor and use ANY app I want and it fools it to think Im using WiFi.

If I have used all my calls up, I then use Viber to call free of charge to other Jesus Phone users I know (most of my friends now - I was the last to convert kicking and screaming to the church of Jobs... Glad I did though!)

I have a SIP client installed to call landlines and international numbers so save a fortune.

Oh, and all this can be yours as well, just join the UK network that is simply a number (Not a colour or load of water bubbles)

1. Putonghua73

Not a colour or a load of water bubbles

@AC,

How is 3's coverage and call reception these days? When when they first appeared, my T-Mobile contract expired, and after a conversation with a customer service rep in a handset store deviating the pros and cons of being an early adopter, I signed up to 3 ( around 5 and a half years ago or so).

Poor coverage (London), dropped calls and 90 minutes spent speaking to 6 customer reps before I coud cancel the contract! Went back to T-Mobile with my tail between my legs.

My current contract expires this Autumn. Presuming, I do not decide to ditch blighty and return to China to live for a while (c700m Chinese women - vs stupidly long-ass commute via tube trains and Heathrow Connect), I need to decide whether to switch operators.

My experience with 3 is quite dated so would be good to solicit the experience of other more recent subscribers.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Now the French can act as obnoxious as U.S. zombies

Now the French people can act as ignorant as U.S. zombies who spend their life on their cellphone.

3. nonscience

Mobile habits

While Free offer is very attractive, it won't fit all french users.

For a decade now, we've been used to this routine. You get a locked contract with a provider for 12 or 24 months in exchange for a cell phone at reduced cost (some customers made it a habit to get every new iPhone each year for under 100 bucks...Extra cost being paid in part on your monthly fee and part the provider itself).

I work on a customer helpdesk for the competition. Last week was a landslide of calls, roughly sixty percent asking for details about how to break their current contract, asking how to unlock their phone to use other SIM cards and such.

This week is another story. I had that specific case today of a woman that threatened for a lawsuit last week if she couldn't get rid of her contract and got it (stupid threat since it's her absolute legal right to break it any time). Today she called to cancel after reading the fine prints on Free offer. Most customers are now waiting for their regular providers to announce their commercial offers in response.

I love it, people "fought" to get cheaper cell phones in early 2000's and got it with standard contracts. Now they applaud a rollback then get angry to discover what it implies for them in the end.

I laugh, I don't care, I don't own a cell at all ^^

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like