back to article GiffGaff boots freetards off mobile network

People-powered mobile phone network GiffGaff is debating how best to curb excessive data use, while kicking off a few customers considered to be really taking the biscuit. GiffGaff has always offered unlimited data with its "goody-bag" tariffs, which start at a tenner a month, and unlike competing networks it has never imposed …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
    1. Craigness

Abide

How do you know they're not abiding with the T&Cs? I've looked at GG before, but didn't join at the time. If they treat honest users like criminals then I'll never join. Can you show in their T&C what the limit is?

1. nichomach

There isn't a limit;

there are restrictions on how the service may be used, not how much. I posted the relevant section above. I don't think we'll miss you.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"There isn't a limit; there are restrictions on how the service may be used, not how much. I posted the relevant section above. I don't think we'll miss you.

"

and so there is a limit there then.

Defintion 2 from http://www.thefreedictionary.com/restriction of restriction (from the american history of langauge)

"2. Something that restricts; a regulation or limitation."

Not the word LIMITation?

You CANNOT say there isn't a limit but there is restrictions, as the restrictions limit (see what i did there) what you can do.

1. nichomach
            FAIL

Logic fail

It is perfectly possible to say that there is no limit on how much of a product or service is consumed, thus making *consumption* unlimited, but that there are restrictions on the means by which it is consumed. You can post as much irrelevant American bullshit as you like, you'll still be wrong.

1. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart
              FAIL

Proof nichomach, or shut the fuck up

Do you have proof that the 1% *ARE* actually breaching the T&C of their contracts of are you falling for GiffGaff's bullshit about people using the product GiffGaff sold to them? Never make assumptions based on your own prejudices, wherein lies the path to ruin, for example, I have a 50GB cap on the internet connection that I pay for, are you suggesting that I am somehow stealing from the other customers of my ISP if I use that limit? Glad to see you used the fail icon... all yours
              1. nichomach
                FAIL

Krakenfart

...you're an idiot. If you have paid for 50GB your position is no different to that of a GG Gigabag customer who has bought and uses a 1GB Gigabag. HOW yous use that quota is entirely up to you; phone, laptop, PC, steam-powered difference engione, who cares? It is NOT analogous to that of someone who buys a service that is unlimited by quantity but IS clearly and explicitly limited by class of device. Someone who breaches that restriction is AB-using the product that GiffGaff sold them. Clear now?
                  Mushroom

@nichomach

Once again you are making the assumption that if somebody uses an unlimited connection as an unlimited connection that they are doing something wrong. Do you have proof that this what the 1% are doing. You've got you head so far up your own arse you are in danger dissapearing altogether.
                  1. nichomach
                    FAIL

@Krakenfart - Unless you have evidence

that GiffGaff are lying, then I would take their assertion as being the requisite evidence. The problem (which you appear resolutely determined to fail to grasp) has nothing to do with the connection being unlimited in terms of consumption, and everything to do with, and try to grasp this, less than 1% of users breaching the terms of service and AS A CONSEQUENCE occasioning much higher usage than those who abide by those terms. The service is unlimited in quantity, but restricted as to means of access and purpose of use.
                    1. Craigness
                      FAIL

That's not how truth works

I was told that by a visitor from the planet Sdraytem just last week. If you can't prove I'm lying, it must be true, nomatter how unlikely. Do you really believe all of the 1% breached the tethering restriction and were found to be in breach? And it's not unlimited if heavy data users can be disconnected just for using data! I'd love a customer like you :-)
                      1. nichomach
                        FAIL

@Craigness

You are asserting dishonesty or other wrongdoing. It is down to you to adduce evidence of that. That's how truth works. I would further note that the Ts & Cs do not solely restrict users from tethering but provide other grounds for asserting a breach of terms.
                        1. Craigness
                          WTF?

That's not how truth works either

Like I said, I'd love a customer like you.
                        2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart
                          Boffin

@nichomach

"You are asserting dishonesty or other wrongdoing. It is down to you to adduce evidence of that." Eh No! I think that the law of the land is quite explit in this instance, innocent until proven guilty.
                          1. nichomach
                            Facepalm

@Krakenfart

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeees, you are asserting that GG are guilty of dishonesty or other wrongdoing. They are innocent until you adduce evidence or testimony in support of their being guilty. Innocent until proven guilty. See how that works?
                              Headmaster "you are asserting that GG are guilty of dishonesty or other wrongdoing" I never said any such thing, now you are misrepresenting what I said, however _you_ did assert that the 1% were doing something wrong but you consistently fail to produce any evidence except some heresy from GiffGaff, See how that works.
                              1. nichomach
                                WTF?

I think the point at which

...you start indulging in word-salad ("heresy"? I wasn't aware that articles of faith and canon law applied to telecoms providers!) is the point at which I just hand you some more carpet to chew and leave you to it.
                                1. Keep Refrigerated
                                  Megaphone

@Nichomach

The problem with using an arbitrary percentage to determine who are infringing on others rights, is that the underlying number constantly shifts. That's aside from it being an interestering percentage point for GiffGaff to pick (perhaps an attempt to create some loose connections in people's imagination to... oh... I don't know).

Rally against the "less than 1%" of GiffGaff users if you must, kick them off the network... keep doing it and before long, you will find yourself crossing over into the "less than 1%". What will you say then? But I only use it for email synching, web browsing, social networking, occasional youtube use... "That's too much!" - the mob will scream! Far better to have some actual usage statistics so you can hold your service provider to account and ensure they're not just downsizing.

Of course, I expect the next rally cry to be against the 1% of people in rural locations being subsidised by the 99% for the letters and parcels they get to send at the same rate as everyone else - it's completely unfair!

2. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart
                                  Headmaster

heresy

I have quite a low opinion of your intelligence nichomach, however I think it is quite clear from the context that that is a typo for "hearsay". Just so you don't get any more confused that you presently are, here's the definition: "Unverified information heard or received from another; gossip; rumour".

1. nichomach
                                    FAIL

Well

that'll keep me awake at nights, Krakenfool. Here's a thought; next time you abuse the English language, correct it, don't blame other people for your error. A typo? Really? In which you manage to lose the 'a' from 'hear', insert an 'e' to transform it into 'here', and then omit the 'a' from 'say'. That's one heck of a 'typo' you've managed there, sport. Not that I'm implying that you simply used the wrong word due to ignorance and a tendency to pomposity, no, sir, not I...

2. James 139

Exactly

the ACCUSED, in this case the 1%, is innocent until the ACCUSER, in this case GiffGaff, proves they are guilty. It doesnt work the other way around, since the accuser isnt being accused of anything. The assumption that GiffGaff are accusing people of tethering, or in some way improperly, using their phones hasnt been demonstrated, let alone proven, and until it is, it is utterly irrelevant to the issue. However you want to view it though, the 1% are probably in violation of Term 11c, in that it might "adversely affect other users".
                                1. nichomach
                                  Stop

@ James 139

Actually it has been demonstrated, since they've stated as much on the forum thread linked to from the article. On the basis of their testimony, and absent any evidence to suggest that they are lying, that 1% contains a significant number of people who are breaching the terms and conditions of service. Krakenfart asserts that GiffGaff's statement is "bullshit"; that is an assertion of dishonesty or wrongdoing, but one for which he adduces no evidence or testimony to support it. Craigness asserts that they are lying as well, yet offers no evidence to support that assertion. If GiffGaff state that there is abuse of their network, that is something of which they can have direct knowledge (not hearsay, despite what Krakenfart states); that is evidence. A bald assertion that they are lying from someone with no direct knowledge of whether they are or not, and without any physical evidence or testimony from someone who has such direct knowledge is, well, nothing. It's just noise. You see?

2. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart
                      Trollface "Unless you have evidence that GiffGaff are lying, then I would take their assertion as being the requisite evidence". Oh Boy, not only are you on the slippery slope, you’ve fallen right off the edge and into the abyss.... How many wars and atrocities have occurred in past history because somebody’s "assertion" was accepted as being the "evidence"? How long ago did you have your frontal lobotomy? I'm not the only person to ask you this, HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT THE 1% HAVE BREACHED THEIR T&C'S. I'll answer it for you, YOU DON'T, all as you know is that the 1% are using their connection as it was advertised i.e. as an unlimited connection. Not unless you are actually an employee of GiffGaff (other than in PR) and you know something that the GiffGaff users don't, It wouldn’t be the first time a company has put spyware on the phones it sell to joe public????? This has gone on long enough, you're one troll I'm not going to feed any more (I extend my middle finger in your general direction).
                      1. nichomach

@Krakenfart

Given that you appear willing to assert that GG are dishonest on the basis of, so far as may be ascertained, not so much as the merest whiff of evidence, whereas I am basing my presumption on the statement made by representatives of the party with direct access to the data in question, I'm sticking with the position that absent evidence to the contrary GG are telling the truth. Frankly, however many shrieky caps you use, your position appears to boil down to "THEY'RE LYING! BECAUSE I SAY SO!". Frankly, you'd have struggled to get Dreyfus convicted on that. Hat-tip to the marginal intellectual honesty of labelling your troll post accurately...
        2. Craigness
          FAIL

Limited intellect

You didn't answer my question "How do you know they're not abiding with the T&Cs?" It's impossible to say that people were booted off for violating terms rather than exceeding the unpublished limited if you don't know that they were actually violating the terms. Using an unlimited amount of data is not a violation of the terms you posted above, yet the people removed from the service were identified as the top 1% of users, not the top 1% of terms violators. If they published a limit then it would be reasonable to end the contracts of people who exceed it.

1. nichomach
            FAIL

I take it that your title

is a strking example of an honest self-assessment? You asked a compound question; I answered the final part of it. Had you bothered to investigate, you would have discovered that GiffGaff have already determined that the problem users are breaching the terms and conditions of service, and have said as much on their forums. They are understandably cagey about the technical means that they use to determine that, and they are not instantly kicking people off - they are warning them and offering them transition to tariffs or service which more appropriately meet their actual usage.
            1. Craigness
              WTF?

that title refers only to you

I know the difference between knowing something and believing what I'm told. Do you think that tethering is only done by the top 1% and that all the top 1% tether? Q. How do you know they're not abiding with the T&Cs? A. You don't, but you don't care.
    2. Paul Shirley

@nichomach

What makes you think the down voters aren't gg users? I am a giffgaff user, have been since they started. I wish I could down vote you more than once. The giffgaff community is a hive mind that ruthlessly stamps on any deviation from its rose tinted opinions. I can see how you might have mistaken that for universal support for giffgaff's shambolic management, manipulative community management and business practices rapidly matching every other provider for sleight of hand and general 'screw the customer' attitude. A company that openly states it does not need to comply with EU law and had most of you supporting them!
      1. nichomach

@Paul Shirley

Then I'm afraid that your experience is significantly different to mine. I have never had a problem dealing with GG or the community. I bought and buy my goodybags specifically for their advertised use; *mobile* calls, texts and internet access. I use mine for email synching, web browsing, social networking, occasional youtube use and have never had a problem. My support for their position isn't based on what the community thinks, but rather on my own experience of and appreciation for their service. Your mileage has obviously varied, but that's *your* experience (and I note that you studiously avoid stating what your problem with them was).
    3. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

Very late to reply

but they advertise truly unlimited no fair use policy so how can any one be selfish, spoil it or abuse it by using their phone as a phone. If they want to watch HD vid 24/7 that is included, otherwise it is false advertising.

1. Magnus_Pym
    FAIL

1st law of supply and demand

If the supply is unlimited and free the demand will be infinite.

It's all fine postulating how these people use so much data and guessing that they are breaching the T&C's but when a resource is free you will find people are ingenious in their over use of it. When Cable first went in in our area cable-to-cable calls were free and unlimited. Some people used them as baby monitors while spending an evening with friends down the street. I new someone who had an un-metered water supply who used to leave a tap running 24/7 into his 50 m2 Koi pond to 'keep the water fresh'.

I wonder how much data a permanent skype/facetime call would use? What about sufferers of tweetarrhea with pics/video. What about Mr 'Oh I just leave News24 on all day just in case'? somebody somewhere is downloading whole movies, watching the first 5 minutes, getting bored and downloading another one.

1. jonathanb Silver badge

The maximum demand would be the speed of the connection x the number of seconds in the month. That is not infinite.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Boffin

maximum demand

max demand can be infinite, it is max *supply* that is subject to physical limits.
  2. Dazed and Confused

Sod the telly

You don't need to connect a phone to a telly to pull down gobs of data, I regularly see the kids pull over 2.5Mb/s for long periods watching videos on WiFi and iPlayer onto my SII will often pull 3.5Mb/s.

You don't need to be feeding some external higher res device.

At home the O2 signal isn't good enough for them to trouble GiffGaff by watching videos over the phone link.

1. nichomach
      Go

Yes

...and GiffGaff won't have a problem with that.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yes they will

"in December it changed its terms and conditions to allow disconnection of heavy data users, and has now started applying those new rules"

But their advertising still says their "Mobile Internet" is "truly unlimited".

You didn't read the article, or the T&C!

"in December it changed its terms and conditions to allow" No, in December GiffGaff changed the product it sold, its a bit like buying a car and having the manufacturer come back to you later and saying "sorry you're using too much petrol, we're putting a smaller engine in the car"
          1. nichomach
            FAIL

You do realise that...

...Goodybags are not an open-ended contract, right? That you buy them month by month, they're not even a 30-day rolling contract? To borrow your metaphor "Last month, the base model of this car had a 1.6ltr engine. This month, we have added a 1.4ltr engine as the base model. You can buy that, buy a different spec or buy a different manufacturer's car.". I presume you would not ban a car manufacturer from adding a model or variant to its range or removing one? Same thing. It most certainly does NOT involve taking something away that you have already paid for.
          2. SirMuttley
            WTF?

Except it's not like that.

Giff Gaff is not a contract tariff. You buy a new goodybag every month, in other words you buy a new product every month. Therefore each month you are to abide by the T&Cs that exist at that time bought it. Your anology would make sense if you bought a year's worth of usage in advance, but you can't do that with giff gaff.
        2. Craigness
          Stop

One thumb down

for telling the truth. I wonder who that was!
        3. nichomach

@ AC 11:45

The article is wrong; the Ts & Cs do not mention "heavy data usage". So yes, a thumbs-down. Read S 5.13 and point to the words "heavy data use" or anything that even resembles them.
  3. Jimbo 6
    Joke

So...

99% of the people are subsidising the greedy 1% ?

Where have i heard that before ?

Occupy GiffGaff !

4. Reaps
    WTF?

Are you all too dumb to understand "unlimited", read a dictionary

Main issue is stupid advertising regulator can't read a F**king dictionary and allowed everyone to get away with fraudulent advertising.

Unlimited should mean "UNLIMITED", no stupid hidden Sh*tty fair use clauses.

If there is any sort of limit, then it is NOT UNLIMITED, full stop, no weaseling, no argument, no fraud.

5. BarryMc
    Paris Hilton

Statistically....

There will always be a top 1%.

At what point do you accept that the top 1% are ok, and don't need to be kicked off?

Paris, because she's like totally in like the top 1% or like whatever.

6. Vince
    Coffee/keyboard

or how about it not being tethering...

So this nonsense about headphones being a tethering scenario.... what nonsense.

Headphones do not process the data received over 3G, the phone has a DAC, it converts this and the headphones receive the audio signal from that.

Your TV does not process the data, but the result of the data...

Your laptop receives the IP Packets sent on 3G. That is tethering.

Now about this limited unlimited... for the 'n' amount of revenue received how much data is feasible while still giving margin, when calculated in a sane way. Then take some away, to give margin. Problem solved. Now publish *that* amount.

If network has capacity and you have used the guaranteed allowance you can..

A) Offer customers "best efforts" option of low priority data when capacity allows. Send them a text so they know they are at that point ... and maybe warn them beforehand too.

B) Offer a paid option of more data with the paid priority again.

For example, my phone downloads podcasts daily. It does it at 3am. Network has capacity spare, no major cost to provider for me using it, so i should be able to get good speeds and even if I do not, i don't mind since it is downloading for later.

If i needed data NOW I would be able to live with what is available on best efforts, or pay to get it PDQ.

The sooner we get away from the nonsense of unlimited with limits the better.

7. Bodhi
    WTF?

"I LOVE all the downvotes from people who aren't GG customers, who this in no way affects, but who are very eager to see a service that I use and pay for ****ed up by people not abiding by the conditions of the service...."

No, I think you are being downvoted as you are struggling to tell your posterior from your elbow. Connecting a phone to a TV and watching iPlayer on it is NOT against the T's & C's of GG, as it is not connected to another device which can use its data connection, all the TV is doing is displaying what is on the screen. Pretty much the same way as using the data connection to download maps for the satnav whilst the phone is connected to a BT headset - the TV/BT Headset/Headphones are completely immaterial.

By your reckoning GG customers would have to turn off their data connection when their phone is on charge, as it is connected to another device (the charger), and god help them if they use USB charging......

Plainly anyone can see this is a load of nonsense.

1. Richard Wharram

Bodhi ?

Long-term Sony fan by any chance? :)
      1. Uncle Slacky Silver badge
        Boffin

Probably a Bodhi Linux user...

http://bodhilinux.com/
        1. Richard Wharram

I'm aware of Bodhi Linux...

...but I also have experience of the name from elsewhere (that pre-dates the distro) so I thought I'd ask :)
        2. Frank Butcher
          Terminator

lala land

comment so very true

If they stopped using the word unlimited.. then shock horror .. they'd be just like every other ISP. Their ISP USP would be SOL. Is 3gb OTT? YMMV. What would a reasonable allowance be?

*I dont even own a mobi so no dog in this race

2. nichomach
      FAIL

Bullshit

Since a charger not only does not consume data but does not even have the content of that data output to it.
This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like