back to article Bit-part actress slings sueball at IMDb over age gripe

An actress who claims work dried up after her age was revealed on movie compendium website IMDb is suing the Amazon-owned company. The identity of the minor TV star had remained anonymous until a lawsuit was filed last Friday revealing Huong Hoang from Texas was slinging a sueball at the site. The actress, whose stage name is …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Laurel Kornfeld

IMDB is a racket

Many films are never listed on IMDB at all. To list anything, an actor or director has to pay for IMDBPro. That means directors of low budget movies are less likely to bother because they are already struggling financially. The whole thing is just a money-making racket.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@Laurel

"Many films are never listed on IMDB at all".

Yes, I have worked on several big budget Bollywood films that are never listed. The IMDB is skewed enormously in favor of US film and TV. There are many multi million dollar foreign productions that are routinely ignored, even though these films may have worldwide audiences in the millions.

"To list anything, an actor or director has to pay for IMDBPro".

Only one person has to be registered to list the entire cast and crew, so it's not as bad as you make out.

"That means directors of low budget movies are less likely to bother because they are already struggling financially."

Yes, but we are only talking about around $100 a year. Even on a low budget movie it is unlikely to break the bank. And as stated, only one person need register to cover the whole project, and all future projects. The biggest difficulty with getting an indie film listed is the burden of proof that it is an actual project and not just a youtube project - quite hard until the film is released.

"The whole thing is just a money-making racket."

Unfortunately yes.

1. JMcL

They do have an IMDBPro site as well.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Ru

She tried it the other way

Both attempts to remain anonymous failed. So not only has Amazon apparently caused all her work to magically disappear, but they're basically forcing her to out herself on the internet too. maybe she should ask for more cash if she wins.

Fun times.

2. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart

Junie Hoang

Who?

Never heard of her.

The 40 year old actress can't get work playing 25 year old people, she should get a role on "Sex in the City" then, that would guarantee her at least another 10 years work.

Paris, lack of talent never held her back

3. Fuh Quit
    Pint

She looks pretty good for 40

I wonder if she'd fancy a 42-year-old toyboy ;-)

1. Josco

Wait your turn

Back of the queue young man.

4. Robin Szemeti
    Thumb Down

Who's conning who?

So she's complaining that she needs paying out because someone revealed how old she is? That rather implies she was not telling people ... which is possibly fraudulent. What woudl be more interesting is if we can find some place where she claimed to be younger and bring about a class action from all the people who bough the movie thinking they were watching a 25yrs old, and it turns out she's older than that,

In reallity, it doesn't matter, but the craziness of someone suing for publishing a true fact ... well, it could only happen in America,

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Religion

What about if your religion was posted wherever your CV appeared?

Just because something is a true fact doesn't mean it should be published to the world. Like it or not, people have bias and that effects work.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Hob

It's also not the done thing to actually include your age in a CV these days either, for exactly these reasons - people get discriminated against.

5. david 63

One way to make sure...

...everyone + dog knows your age...

SUE!!!

6. fishman
    FAIL

Career chilling effect

I would think that getting a reputation for suing a company because they released her correct age would have a greater chilling effect on her career than would her being "too old".

7. Simon Jones [MSDL]

Acting Age

It is usual for Actors to provide casting directors with an "age range" they think they can portray rather than their actual age - which gives them more chance of finding appropriate work. They might at least get a casting call so the can be seen in the flesh rather than just as a name and a photograph.

8. Simon Neill

Shirley Henderson

Shirley Henderson plays "Moaning Myrtle" in the Harry Potter films. For those who make their abode directly beneath a large deposit of granite in the middle of the rainforest Moaning Myrtle in the films is the ghost of a teenager and thus in most ways IS a teenager.

Shirley Henderson is 47 in November. Seems to imply that people knowing your real age doesn't seem to make a difference.

1. Ralph B
      Terminator

Paedoghost

I always find the bath scene with the 60 year old ghost (of a 14 year old girl) perving up to Harry Potter rather disturbing. Now I know she's played by a 40-ish actress I feel ... erm, not a lot better.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

the point...

You have adults playing children in animated series. That particular character may as well have been CGI'd in, since the detail level of her ghost wasn't that great. A lot of 'teen' movies have actors in their twenties (some in their thirties) playing minors. If it's not makeup, it's the shot or cgi masking the age. The only film I can think of where acting was a factor is "Peggy Sue got married' with K. Turner.

3. Tom 13

Special effects cover a lot of ground these days,

and what they don't cover elective surgery might. That being said, the Potter films were of the sort where the director was more likely to look outside the normal boundaries for cast who could portray the role than your run-of-the-mill flick, which seems to be where Hoang was getting her work. Those sorts of films are exactly the ones where I WOULD expect an agent to apply an age filter from the nets in selection criteria.

9. James Smith 3
    Stop

Ageism?

Well Famke Janssen was born in 1964 and she isn't exactly short of work!

10. peter 45

HHmmmmmmmm

So the ONLY thing stopping you getting more work is your real age is it?

Nothing to do with tour looks or acting ability then?

Cry me a river

1. jonathanb Silver badge

Judging by the photos available elsewhere, looks is certainly not a problem. Though if the director was looking to cast an ugly old woman, she wouldn't get the role.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Casting an ugly old woman

In fact, if a book has an ugly old woman in it, when Hollywood turns it into a film they'll hire a beautiful young woman for the part and apply make-up. I don't know why, but that's what they do.

1. james4765

There's a reason for it.

At least on the slimier side of things, it's because of lechers / pervs. Not as common as it used to be, though.

11. Inachu
    IT Angle

WOW JUST WOW!

She the ones type of asian woman I would love to marry!

So what if she is 40. If she looks that good at 40 then she has awsome genes!

XOXOX!

12. Doug Glass
    Go

Optional

She and Demi Moore should get together and make a video. Both careers would soar.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I could imagine her having a grievance if they had published the WRONG date of birth / age (and not corrected it) - but can you really be 'sued' for telling the truth? Oh the US legal system...

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

John / Jane Doe not allowed to sue anyone?

So if that happens to be your real name you're screwed????

Used to know a drug addict called John Smith and most of the pharmnacies wouldn't fill his methadone prescription because it was "obviously a forgery". We may have been the only pharmacy that called the prescribing clinic to check, rather than the police.

15. Ross 7

Nice reporting

"According to the Associated Press, Vietnam-born Hoang, 40..."

Classic El Reg :)

1. TheRealRoland
      Thumb Down

No -- classic El Reg

would have posted a link to a story posted previously on The Register, with better background details. Rather than just rehashing a post from Reuters / AP / Fox / CNN, etc.

The Register search is not helping; but previously the story was that IMDB / Amazon used the lady's credit card details to append her IMDB Pro account information.

Which is of course not right.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Holmes

What is it about life in the USA that causes 'glamorous' women, from whatever racial or genetic background, to eventually all start looking the same?

1. Local Group
      Happy

"What is it about life in the USA

Same as everywhere else. GRAVITY.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Reality sucks

Get a life.

18. h 2

To sue using a False name !

She was quite happy to sue using a False name 'Jane Doe' there must be a law about that !

19. Pete the not so great
    Meh

She's paid to pretend / lie

That's why they're called actors.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tom Cruise is 50...

Pierce Brosnan is 58

Brad Pitt is 48

Proving that good-looking men in Hollywood can continue to have a career well past 40.

Old women - not so much.

Life's a bitch in entertainment-land. Deal with it.

21. Brezhnev's Shadow

Huong Hoang Viet Vet Ding-Dong!

I say!

(best Leslie Phillips accent ;))

22. Andy Fletcher

Is it just me...

...or are lawsuit stories getting old?

23. Jeff 11

Is the amount she's suing for realistic given the history of her acting career? Hmm.

Can she provide documented evidence that the number of casting calls she's had has decreased *significantly* since then? Probably not.

She may have some form of a case, but even if she does, I imagine it'll be settled out of court and for significantly less than a million dollar sum. It's unclear that anyone has done anything even slightly unlawful.

24. arrbee
    Holmes

thespian photographs

The 'general use' photos you see of actors/actresses are rarely current - in most cases there is no downside to using the same photo for years.

25. danny_0x98

Of course, back when she arrived in Hollywood and hit her mid 20s, she displaced the actresses who had moved into their late 30s. That's the business. I could be struck by lightning, be imbued with thespian graces beyond measure and still not get cast as Hamlet, because I'm in my 50s.

I would not cast aspersions, but I would ask where was her law suit and complaints when she first appeared on imdb and producers could look her up, nod approvingly and put her 8 x 10 among the dozens that would be allowed to audition and not among the hundreds who would not.

26. Trollslayer
    Thumb Down

Hollywood

It is simple. Hollywood doesn't let women get old.

Just like lack of a degree will get you dropped by the HR filters, her age will get her dropped before anything else is looked at.

27. 1 Million Dollars
    Megaphone

I can understand her concern. That as a 30+ american of asian descent. There aren't going to be that many roles. Much as we'd like to think the world is post-racial and post-sexist it isnt. How many t.v and film roles have women in their post 30s. Most of the roles will just disappear to Helen Mirrian who is a bankable star. If your female and over 30, you're no longer hottie material and will invariable end up playing; a lawyer, a judge, a CSI agent, or single working mom. Its made worse if you're ethnic. Name the number of films with an asian female lead outside of some historical drama. We can all go round shouting don't blame the player, blame the game. But if you're only ever on the subs benched because of a casting agents pre-conception then all credit to her.

28. wheel

Some sad facts about being an actress

I don't know if this lady has a case in law, but:

(1) Your actual age DOES count in casting directors' assessment of you, and actresses in particular are rightly paranoid about hiding their actual ages. I know of an actress in her mid-thirties who looks like she is at most in her mid-twenties. She doesn't tell anyone her real age, not even her close friends. Why? She lost out on a part at the start of her career because she was 23, which the casting director deemed 'too old' to play 18. Needless to say, she wouldn't have been cast as a 23 year old because she looked far too young...

(2) There are very, very few parts in TV or film for non-name actresses over 40. As a result, many people in the industry seem to regard any actress over 40 as 'past it'; there is definitely a psychological barrier at that age. It seems entirely reasonable to assume that allowing casting directors to know an actress is over 40 would be detrimental to that actress's career, especially if her playing age was considerably younger, as she would not be seen for parts which she could realistically play.

(3) With regard to how many parts this lady has listed on IMDB each year reflecting the success of her career: films take time to make, so any credits in 2011 could reflect audition successes in 2010 or earlier; for each role she was cast in, she will have auditioned for dozens more; and if she is claiming that the revelation of her age has already damaged her career, she would know at least a year before it becomes obvious on IMDB. For instance, the number of auditions she gets called to may have drastically reduced. (Actors get called to auditions after the casting directors have seen their 'resumés', and compared them, almost inevitably, with IMDB.)

Some people have commented that $1 million is too much, but if her career has been cut short by, say, five years, that would be $200,000 a year. Quite a lot, but not impossible if she could have got a regular part in a TV series. If she looks 25 now, as some here have opined, then she could argue that her career has been cut short by 10 years, at which point $1 million looks quite reasonable.

If you are an actress, your real age is commercially sensitive information. As an industry resource IMDB should know this, even if some people who have commented on this story don't.

FYI: I work in the industry, albeit mainly in theatre rather than film, and hence understand something of the dark arts of casting. The casting director's job is demanding as bad casting can destroy a film / show. Perhaps this is why they are rather conservative about playing ages; not stating their real age is the only defence an actor has. The consequence is that all actors, male and female, are likely to lie about their age at some time or another, and up to now that has worked out fine. But, for instance, if IMDB had published her age, Gillian Anderson would probably not have been cast as Dana Sculley; she was 24 at the time, but she pretended to be older so she could be considered for the part. (Obviously, Sculley was older than 24, as she had gained a medical degree and a PhD before studying at Quantico.)

1. Synja

@wheel

Good points, except that the "damages" under US law would require her to have actually lost that money. The burden of proof lies on her to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that she would have actually made 200k each year. That is not going to happen. Punitive damages are possible, but would be at the whim of not only a jury, but the various appeals courts that the case would invariably be sent to. Since actors/actresses are not salaried and are not considered employees (some are exceptions, she is not.) it's difficult to prove that the damages were real. Even if this affected her future earnings, there is no way for her to have ensured that she would have continued to have the same or greater earnings.

Lawyers in the US have a comple set of algorithms and statistics that are used to give a relative value to every person in every situation, and a value of damages. It's grim and somewhat disgusting, but it's how the US system works. Now, if something happened to me (as a systems engineer with a specific salary and work history) that caused me to lose work, I could very easily sue and be awarded some damages, although not punitive unless it was negligence or malpractice.

The other concern is the location of the trial (if any), Many areas in the US do not award punitive damages for "minor" things. It's a jury of your peers, and sometimes your peers don't like making other people rich. You'll notice that civil litigation is more active in some areas than others.

2. Laurel Kornfeld

Being an actress isn't "sad"

It's actually an amazing life. First, no casting director is legally permitted to ask an actor's age. If they do, most actors give a range, and a wide one at that. Second, Junie should look into comedy and character roles. Not only are those the most fun, they also are the least constrained by age. I love doing drama but the industry sees me as comedic, and now, I'm always playing offbeat, quirky types--in other words, versions of myself. Character roles are about finding and creating a unique niche for yourself. And I don't mind running from zombies or playing zombies. Whatever role an actor plays becomes part of their repertoire, part of the story that makes him or her unique.

Some of us also have good genes. My mother and aunt look about 15-20 years younger than they really are. I avoid the sun like the plague, and so far, it's working, no visible lines or wrinkles.

29. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Let her file i has Jane Doe and make the cheque out to the same... doh.

30. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Guess they should not post her height or sex or anything incase that goes against her - god forbid someone was looking for someone tall or male or ??

Some might argue that NOT posting her previous movies would be a good start.

Perhaps she just needs a better agent or new career rather than blaming Amazon / IMDB.

1. Slabfondler
      Paris Hilton

This has to hurt...

"Her scene in _Big Momma's House 2 (2006)_ and Tropic Thunder (2008) was deleted." Paris "'cause *my* scenes never get deleted"

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like