back to article Jobs' 'nuclear war' is not doing Apple any good - analyst

Apple's patent wars will start to hurt shareholders if Apple continues to pursue its lawsuits against Samsung, HTC and Motorola, an analyst has said. Kevin Rivette, a managing partner at 3LP Advisors LLC, told Bloomberg that even if Apple won its patent battles, it was playing a losing game. Legal fees aside, the " …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. boatman

reap what you sow...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I don't recall Jobs saying that he wanted to "stamp out" competition, just that he wanted them to compete using their own ideas without copying Apple's.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Except that Apple's ideas are generally someone else's with "but, like, really glossy and twice the price" written in biro at the end.

2. Gio Ciampa

A tale of two quotes...

Steve Jobs - January 2010:

"I will spend my last dying breath if I need to, and I will spend every penny of Apple's $40bn in the bank, to right this wrong. I'm going to destroy Android, because it's a stolen product. I'm willing to go thermonuclear war on this."

Steve Jobs - 1996

"We have always been shameless about stealing great ideas."

Can't have it both ways...

3. beast666
    Thumb Down

Re: Optional

Like Samsung supplying them with lcd panels, flash n stuff. Well Apple best watch out, Samsung have a huge grip on lcd supply now after getting Sony's side of the biz, I wonder if Apple might find a little increase in the prices they pay to cover Samsung against Apples attempted patent borging of everyone else?

4. admiraljkb

The premise of the analyst's theory is sound.

It is only logical that the longer Apple spends on legal battles, the more unfocused they'll get. After all, Microsoft lost a LOT of ground fighting the Justice Dept instead of focusing on business at hand.

The big thing as I see it is the pseudo patents Apple is trying (and indeed obligated) to try and enforce. Rounded corners and other distinctive design elements of the phone aren't (or at least shouldn't be) patentable to begin with. I would think that is already be covered under Trademark law. By not suing under the correct laws though, the statute of limitations will be over prior to realization of the mistake, and we'll have a repeat of their Look and Feel GUI case failure from the late 80's. :)

1. Dave 15

registered design

At one time we had registered designs in the UK to stop shameless copying of what something looked like - not that it happened very much. I wish people were more inventive to be honest. I have nothing against the iPhones look - I don't really like it but it will suit some people, what I object to is all the other manufacturers thinking they must also look the same. I want a flip phone myself - one where theres a bit of plastic that covers and protects the screen when the phone is in my pocket, when the flip opens the phone call is answered, when closed its hung up, I don't need to 'lock' the device to prevent unintentional dialing or over use of the precious battery etc. etc. The old Sony Z5 was lovely, but sadly you seem to be able to get chocolate bar or touch screen devices and nothing else. My phones live in my pocket and come up against loose change and keys... and no I don't want some bulky ugly case wrapped round them (they aren't a canoe....)

5. Andy 70
    Trollface

whenever i see stories in the comments section...

TLDR.

6. DragonKin37
    Stop

What a passionate discussion

Reminds me of the Microsoft v Lunix v Netware shouting matches of the late 90's...History tends to repeat itself in some shape or form.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What does the future hold

I wonder if patents become so consolidated in a few hands that anti-trust law will then unravel it all.

8. dssf

Some links...

For Apple:

http://www.gizmag.com/apple-fuel-cell-system-patent-application/20958/

-------

Maybe not for Apple:

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Water-powered-fuel-cell-by-DoCoMo_id1414

https://www.pcworld.com/article/121816/mobile_phone_fuel_cells_coming_in_2007.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8321911.stm

--------

In this one, Nokia bowed out...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4318925.stm

9. maccy
    Thumb Down

Fuel cell ??

A fuel cell, in a phone? I am sure it's passed the obviousness test, because most people would consider it obviously stupid, but really, when did just sticking two things together become a patentable invention?

Oh, wait ...,

10. vincent himpe

publicity

Cheaper to file a lawsuit and pay some lawyers than to run world-wide media campaigns.

Media will gobble it up .

Workarounds cost extra money and meanwhile other businesses that might want to enter the playing field will delay their product launch to see the outcome of the lawsuit..

so its a win-win-win situation : free pub , force competiton to extra cost and delay ...

11. candtalan
    Pint

All of the Apple law suit fuss

alerted me to the Samsung Galaxy Tab10.1

So, I looked at it, then liked it, and then, bought one! Talk about unintended consequences.

LOL

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Doesn't a fuel cell need er fuel?

So the fruity one expects the glitterati to fill up their jebus phones with unleaded every now and then? Yeah thats going to happen...Not!

13. Roger Stenning
    Joke

Mind you (on fuel cells)...

I can see one of the ElReg headlines if crApple(tm)(r) do stick a fuel cell on a phone...

"Snap, crApple and pop! - Smalltown laid waste by faulty iCell!"

...remember the problem caApple (sorry, I think it's a bloody excellent name for them at the moment) had with idiotPhone batteries (and still do, allegedly)?

Flames, because the fanbois are sure to want to string me up from a lamp post somewhere for this one ;-)

14. General Pance

Apple is the new Pokemon

Gotta collect 'em all, right fanbois?

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Google stole it. Just like they steal your privacy and sell it on. Doesn't mean Google is all bad. Apple got burned by Microsoft over PC's. Apple's business model of leading the customer to new stuff requires protected space to operate. Including open web standards not controlled by a competitor. (not IE6, not Flash) So long as Apple can maintain that space, no cartel of megacorps will carve up IT as in the Microsoft era.

The patents are just a sideshow (unless someone gets lucky), where Google has some explaining to do. Apple may yet get a benefit. Microsoft already earn revenues from Android because Google used patent IP without license. But the real battle is over search; with mobile, Google can lose their search monopoly. It's a serious fight. Google or Apple is going to get hurt.

16. Local Group
    Childcatcher

@Bullseyed 12/28 21:01 gmt

"No one ... considers the number of up or down votes as a measure of a post's validity."

OTOH, readers scrolling through the comments, might stop at a post with a decent number of votes, either up or down.

Then you get a chance to make another sale. :-)

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like