Feeds

back to article Doctor Who girl Amy Pond axed in 'heartbreaking' exit

Doctor Who is in the market for a brand new sidekick, as current companions Amy and Rory Pond will leave the show during the next series in a "heartbreaking" fashion. Alex Kingston, Arthur Darvill, Matt Smith and Karen Gillan. Pic: BBC Alex Kingston, Arthur Darvill, Matt Smith and Karen Gillan. Credit: BBC The show's head …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Pretty much the same time really

2 and a bit seasons each.

Quite happy about this. Can they get rid of Gwen from Torchwood at the same time?

I reckon the Doctor would have a really intelligent female companion, I know they like to portray it as he likes a bit of fluff to distract from the endless Time-And-Relative-Dimension-wandering he has to put up with, but really, let's have some crafty chicks.

Anonymous Coward

Don't knock Gwen

She's a good character, but she was very poorly scripted in the last series.

Unhappy

GAAAAH

Could you PLEASE not put huge spoilers like that in the headlines. I avoid all the Dr Who news I can for a reason, but having it in large print at the top of one of my regular websites makes that very difficult.

Silver badge

Apologies - but it's not like we said she will die, is it? Oh er, oops.

noooooooooooooooooo :)

I need my weekly dose of Amy Pond! Leave Amy Pond alone!!!! :)

Trollface

"that story is going to come to a heartbreaking end"

Enough with all the wangst! I remember the good old days when most companions used to simply wander off content when their stint was done.

Oh Well...

In one way she never lived up to the promise of the police uniform in her first episode...

I thought there'd be that girl from the forest that was in the half season finale that would be a contender for upgrade.

Or maybe River Song?

Or maybe Moffats just giving us something to cry about because this christmas special is even more crappy than the last one (Hint, when they include a flying shark, thats a very good clue that they are about to jump the shark)

Bronze badge

Oh God, you made me remember

the flying shark.

I'm glad...

...the show has become too much about Amy Pond and Rory. Personally I'd like to see them get back to a bit more of Doctor Who and a bit less drama-and-romance-around-a-sidekick.

MJI
Silver badge

As long as no Doctor fawning

That really got on my nerves in previous series. Rose got irritating.

I also like the little gang rather than 2 people.

Just leave them somewhere together, don't kill them (again in Rorys case).

Silver badge

Well, they can kill him (again)

as long as it's in the MIDDLE of the episode and he has recovered (again) by the end.

Silver badge
Alien

Any chance of an alien companion?

And maybe some stories that don't revolve around humanity?

If you had the ability to travel any place and time in the universe, would you keep coming back to the same place?

Silver badge
Alien

Madame Vastra...

...and her maid/sidekick/lover would be a good addition, although the "gay agenda" spotters would have a field day.

Silver badge

"would you keep coming back to the same place?"

If the filming was cheap...

about bl**din time

Am I te only one who found la pond a wee bit tiresome

Devil

One of the few

I thought she was rather purty, at least in the copper uniform.

Bronze badge
Trollface

Reading all the posts on this, I think you are!

Silver badge
FAIL

Too all those people who gave me a thumbs down...

... I forgot to mention the appalling hammy acting from all concerned. Karen Gillan couldn't act her way out of a paper bag and the guy who plays Rory sounds like he's cribbing from a script off camera the whole time. As for Matt Smith with his irritating freeze frame style posturing and overdone facial expressions which I presume are supposed to make up for the fact that he couldn't deliver proper emotion if his life depending on it... gah!

Bronze badge
Thumb Up

It's OK you're still 12 upvotes clear from your post on the 8th.

Alien

rumour central

In a bid to get decent backing for the show the new companion will be whoever wins "Strictly".

Just as they arrive a Tardis malfunction will result in all of its occupants turning a strange shade of orange.

Anonymous Coward

I for one...

...Would like to bring back his daughter. Two reasons - it would make for a good character development path. We might actually learn about the Dr. first life back on the home world. Second, it would allow for another spin off after the Dr reaches the end of this 12th regeneration. Let face it, he can't regenerate forever and the show should technically end with the next actor. This would keep the show running for another generation.

Anonymous Coward

And thirdly ...

she's top totty.

We need a Terry Thomas "Ding-dong!" icon.

hmmmm, I think that getting all of Mel's remaining regenerations might come into play when it comes time for DW the 14th

Silver badge

I agree about the icon.

Devil

its probaby about time as others have said...

the last series have been more like the 'Amy Pond show, featuring Doctor Who'.

Presumably theyve just run out of storylines that revolve around the Ponds instead of the doctor at last.

maybe he could have a friendly dalek companion instead ;-)))

Silver badge

How about the 'sexy' human-form tardis as a companion for a bit?

Well, I mean, you know - she was kinda cool - smart, sassy, and frankly pretty awesome.

Thumb Up

I don't get it?

How will the Amy Pond soap opera continue without the lead character? Or will they go back to that old fashioned thing of having Doctor Who be about that boring male character?

This post has been deleted by its author

I second that...

... we most definitely need some ding-dong!!!

They should also bring back Madame de Pompadour - maybe even to be the next incarnation of the Doctor.

Happy

Comments are awesome

Anytime I see a Dr. Who story I immediately head for the comments, the Dr. Who debates are always the best! Thanks to you all!

Silver badge

It is something we can actually care about - Apple vs Microsoft is frankly worn out.

I have to agree about the Earth-centric stories, I got fed up of those around the second series. About the same time I got completely sick of the story of the week format, the old stories had a lot more depth. You could actually appreciate them a lot more I found, not as rushed and more plot and character development.

As to companions I'm not sure I care much about them at all since the return. There were some good moments with Rose and Harkness in the first series back but Rose's chavviness did grate, and Donna Noble was just insufferable. I've seen interviews with Billy Piper though and she doesn't seem at all chavvy which surprised me, I think she could have done a lot better if they hadn't insisted on overdoing the cockney thing.

While there have been romantic entanglements in the past I think people were trying to point out that they were almost entirely sexless, maybe a product of it being partially aimed at children and the social norms of the time but at least there wasn't all the fawning and flirting there is in the recent series. I'll make an exception for John Barrowman because he was just hilarious, he somehow managed to deliver it completely straight (so to speak...) while still making you laugh yourself silly.

Dear me...

...isn't the point (apart from practical production and budget reasons) that the Doctor has a primary responsibility to protect the Earth and it's quirky inhabitants?

That's what you get for getting plastered, wandering about a hotel starkers, AND getting in the 'papers.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2008482/Doctor-Who-star-Karen-Gillan-naked-riotous-New-York-party.html

Now, will the doctor get gay and bed Rory ?

Bronze badge

Classic letter in Viz magazine

I wish I had written this, but hats off to whoever did:

"If I was Dr Who, I'd have that Billie Piper bent over the Tardis console and given what for before you could say Jack Robinson. Then I'd use my time-twiddling powers to constantly repeat the time I was in the vinegar strokes, keeping me in a delicious state of eternally-looped space-time ecstasy. Do any other readers waste their valuable time dreaming up frankly unlikely sexual scenarios involving timelords and their beaver-faced sidekicks?"

The US version WAS the Amy Pond show

As well as being edited to make room for lots of commercials the American broadcasts on BBC America also had to make room for a weekly introduction by Amy Pond explaining that she had an imaginary friend who took her on journeys.

Anonymous Coward

oh god, this.

even my lovely fiance who tolerates almost anything sappy, was unhappy with adding the Pond voiceover to the show's intro.

She's never been the "leave the classics alone" type before that.

At some point, some modicum of tradition has to be respected! :)

Silver badge

Bah!

Just as long as Rose Tyler's mum doesn't put in another appearance.

Wait; why are we watching this kid's show again?

Paris Hilton

I for one

shall not pass judgement until I have seen the length of the new assistants skirt.

Silver badge

Anything

longer than the fanny-pelmets Karen Gillan wore will be a fail in my book! ;)

Teehee - FANNY !

I take it you come from the non-Doctor-Who producing part of the English speaking world :)

Fanny :D

Glad they're getting rid of Amy, but not Rory too. NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Anonymous Coward

timelords..

When I were a lad, (and I'm not that old folks), - in the days of Tom Baker - he'd talk about such things as "machine code"...yes, I kid you not, he actually did say that in the context of programming his computer in the tardis.. Muppets like Davies would never script in such techy talk today.

And a couple of years later..I did actually learn machine code...and that has (partly) lead me on to where I am today...a techy that's flat broke, don't get me started on that one!..

Anonymous Coward

@AC

"Karen Gillan is the best thing about DW. How many lads have devoted hours to debating the collar/cuffs question ?"

You are a perv mate, I bet ye hangs out at Torture Garden every now and again.

Personally, I just can't see Karen Gillan in that way...can't decide if it's the red hair, the stupid voice or the crap acting.

Why can't we get a nice slim model for a companion, possibly from another planet so they can use that as an excuse to dress them up in some delicious latex.

Then I can stop doing the naughties with the internet sites and use the television instead to make me go blind....

Well if they were to look through some older episodes I can think of three previous guest stars that would make good potential companions. Michelle Ryan (Lady Christina De Souza), Carey Mulligan (Sally Sparrow) or Georgia Moffett (Jenny).

Anonymous Coward

An excelent idea...Goorgia Moffett as Jenny

I was expecting a whole spin off series after that episode, she is a sort of clone of the Dr after all.

Bronze badge

But why? Who doesn't have a history of previous characters being brought back as assistants, why start now?

Yes I know that many of the companions previously appeared in Who, but not usually as the assistant character. Sometimes this was even referenced in the script presumably just in case people noticed. They never bothered to do this with Karen Gillan though, presumably because the costume and makeup she wore before didn't make her that easilly recognisable when she returned.

Mushroom

While we're at it...

...could we get rid of that dweeb who currently plays the doctor too?

Bronze badge
Paris Hilton

more nekkid wimmin

thank you

This topic is closed for new posts.