back to article Sony HMZ-T1 3D head mounted display

Watching a movie with Sony’s strap-on Personal 3D Head Mounted Display is one of the more extraordinary cinematic experiences you can have. Imagine the intensity of large screen IMAX somehow ciphered through display panels more befitting a digital camera. It’s like watching TV in a sensory deprivation tank: weird, uncomfortable …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. elmerfudd
    Thumb Up

Decent

Anybody else want to play that old game "Decent" with these things on? Even way back when, then manual actually had a line "Remember to blink". PS: Anybody with vertigo should NEVER play this game :)

Fuddy

1. Anonymous Coward
      Devil

Hang on... if you had vertigo, wouldn't it just mean you couldn't tell the difference? Should be an advantage!

1. Charles 9

No, because now you're sick.

Vertigo is a sign of "simulation sickness", a condition in which your senses get confused and the brain gets all twisted as a result. Think of it as motion sickness only coming from the other direction. Your eyes are told there is motion. There is stereoscopic differential, motion, and a bunch of other cues that makes the brain think, "Okay, I'm moving". Only thing is, the vestbular system in your ear (which help the brain determine 3D orientation--think natural gyroscopes) say you're standing still. The brain takes a look at these conflicting reports and gets the following result: "I'm perceiving movement when I'm not moving (I'm trusting the vestibular system on this--it isn't as easy to fool). Therefore, the eyes are hallucinating. MUST'VE BEEN SOMETHING I ATE." THEN the nausea begins as the body tries to get rid of the possible cause of the hallucination.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Boffin

Optional

Yes, I'm aware of the essential elements of motion sickness. First, my post was half joking (see: devil icon). Second, 'advantage' was in this case a relative term; more accurately of would be describes as an evening of the playing field: Normal person plays, has reduced vestibular function due to game, does badly. Person with no vestibular function plays, can't tell the difference because that's the way it is all the time, does badly - but perhaps, if he's learned techniques to compensate, even has a slight advantage.

But I don't know enough about vestibular issues to comment on that with any authority. It would be interesting to see some research.

By the way, I part-own a company which designs and manufactures motion simulators; our systems, and the cuing software I wrote, have been or are being used by racing schools, flight schools (with FAA approval of cuing, though the test seemed really subjective), the military, and, interestingly enough, a doctor who treats vestibular problems!

Granted, some of my understanding is seat-of-the-pants, but I don't think it extends further inward toward pulling it out of my ass. ;)

One note to add to your observations - we've found that -delay- is absolutely crucial to avoiding barfosis. Or rather, lack of it. In addition, the presence of high frequencies in the cuing has a big effectm We can get away with running relatively small screens in broad daylight because we have high frequency response and low delay. And for some people, display -type- is an issue; my dad had a really hard time even seeing where he was going with a triple-LCD setup, but a single 720p (on a 55" 1080p panel) 3D display worked vastly better despite the huge loss in pixel count and spatial resolution.

When dealing with motion sickness for simulation, it's clear there are a great many contextual factors which are usually not taken into account at all, eg. real screen fov vs. simulated fov within that frame, eyepoint and gaze direction in real life vs. simulator, and with 3d, the convergence and separation required for the correct depth perception.

It's all quite interesting, really - particularly 3d since nobody knows the slightest fuck what they're doing, yet. Except moi, naturally. :)

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like