Feeds

back to article Harry Potter director takes on Doctor Who movie

Boy wizard director David Yates is planning to take Doctor Who onto the big screen in conjunction with the BBC. Yates, who directed the last four Harry Potter films, has told Variety that he's about to start developing a Doctor Who movie with Jane Tranter, the head of LA-based BBC Worldwide Productions. Tranter was the BBC's …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Providing they avoided the mid-Atlantic bollocks, they could give Paul McGann another go. He's been doing the audio dramas for long enough.

@cynic

We haven't seen the Time War, so bringing McGann back isn't all bollocks for an idea. Unfortunately, that would be 2 or 3 movies worth of material. Err wait, Harry Potter director? NVM :)

Silver badge
Thumb Up

My thought exactly.

Ripe for a film telling that story as long as it is done properly.

I actually think this show has enough of a following in the USA that the American fans would also expect it to stay true to the "British sensibilities" and hopefully this includes a Brit Actor.

The more I think about Hugh Laurie though the better that sounds: not Hugh "House" Laurie but Hugh "Blackadder and similar" Laurie.

But he'd probably want too much money :)

JDX
Gold badge

Johnny Depp

An interesting thought. He's great at playing eccentric weirdos... both serious and silly. There is a certain similarity between Matt Smith's Dr. Who, and Depp's Captain Sparrow.

Anonymous Coward

be controversial

Get a female Doctor in..

Anonymous Coward

nah

just cast Prince Phillip :-)

Anonymous Coward

Indeed, go the Starbuck reboot route and make the Doctor a woman.

Black Helicopters

They don't even have a script yet...

No need to panic yet people, nothing is certain at this point. As for the lead role, Either Mr Depp or Hugh Laurie. I'd love a bit of blackadder style in a who movie.

IT Angle

Well, in my view stepping out of established continuity is very disappointing. Even the nineties movie didn't need to do that.

The Doctor has been alive 900 years plus, surely somewhere in there there's enough uncovered ground for a movie to be written within the existing timeline?

The movie i'd love to see is the one about the Time Wars, that happens somewhere between the nineties movie, and Christopher Ecclestone's takeup of the role in 2005.

They won't do that though. They'll muck it up completely. Just you wait. :-)

Devil

Rant time :)

Anyone remember Judge Dredd?? ............ no?

My point exactly.

You can guarantee that as the money will come from the US that the choice for the Dr. will be out of Auntie's hands. Thereby ensuring the Dr. Who movie will be forced kicking and squeeling into the mire of Fan hatred and disapointment.

A movie studio execs idea of "the lead" will always be a trillion miles away from what the rest of the know universe wants.

Rant over :) I do like the suggested Richard E Grant and a Steam Punk TARDIS. Especially if it follws the story arc from the beginning of the Doctor.

Vic
Silver badge

You utter bastard.

> Anyone remember Judge Dredd?

I've been trying not to. Now I've got to wipe that steaming pile of shite from my memory once more...

Vic.

Yeah, really sorry about that Vic. Ive already been and washed my brain out with bleach!

Fingers crossed

The new one will be better - when's El Reg going to tell something about it?

Happy

Heres one for the commentards consideration... Patrick Stewart

Could be interesting having a bald Doctor. Set it during the time war for a great brooding performance.

Trollface

Yes!

I loved him in Dirty Dancing and Ghost.

Silver badge

Have you considered opening a Dr Who desk?

This seems to be your third Who story in a week or so. Kudos.

Like many above, Hugh Laurie would be my default choice, especially as I think there was pretty serious talk of House ending at the end of this year, making him available. Otherwise, maybe Ben Whishaw? He seems to be pretty good at just about everything. If they could get Eccleston back, even to play the character in a completely different way, I'd be very happy indeed.

I can't think of any Americans that are suitable for the part, though I think that may just be that modern American film writing doesn't allow for a hero that's also the smartest person in the room. That'd be too elitist, right?

Anonymous Coward

But is it canon?

Is this new film going to be canon?

Given that I'll believe it when I actually see it in a cinema, I'll assume by default that it's not.

But if it does happen, it'll be a modern-day repeat of the Peter Cushing films. An internationally known star (Hugh Grant or Bill Nighy) playing *a* Doctor, but merely picking whichever bits of the TV show canon that suit the producers, and making up any contradictory stuff to fill the gaps.

Cumberbatch may be good for the TV series (though I'd prefer him as a recurring Master), but I'm not sure he's world famous enough for a film version. Same goes for the David Tennant comeback theory.

I wouldn't be surprised if it features the Timelords and no Timewar, in which case what about some CGI footage of a high council meeting featuring the faces of Oliver Reed, Laurence Olivier, Patrick McGoohan, Danny Dyer, Johns Guielgud and Mills, and any other iconic British actors from the past?

I suspect it'll be a good film, but utterly hated by fans of the show. Even more than the established fact that he's half human is actually called "Doctor Who" and votes Tory.

Vic
Silver badge

I always thought Tim Curry would make a good Doctor

... But he's probably a bit old for the audience they're trying to attract.

Vic.

Silver badge

I always thought Tim Curry would make a good actor. Still waiting.

Worrisome

"He praised Davies' and Moffat's concepts, but said: "[W]e have to put that aside and start from scratch"."

Can't agree with that. The new series has been brilliant and drawn a lot of new fans to the show. Seems to me he just wants to have his own way rather than produce what's worked so far.

Joke

What about....

Lemmy?

He never takes prisoners....

/coat

Anonymous Coward

Give it to Arnie!

We need a big hitter to be taken seriously by the american audience. I reckon Arnold Swartzenegger has the neccessary gravitas for the role. And he has experience of all that time travel and stuff.

Silver badge

Have you seen Arnie lately?

It ain't the 1980s anymore mate, unfortunately. All those steroids have kinda taken a toll over the intervening years...

Tempus fugit and all that, you know.

Silver badge

Left field opinion

Get Andy Serkis in, do it all with motion capture and overlay constantly fluxing CGI versions of Hartnell, Troughton, Pertwee, Tom Baker, Davison, Colin Baker, McCoy, Eccleston, Tennant and Smith.

Fuck McGann tho, he can go spin.

Please God!

Please God, not an American playing Doctor Who!

Bronze badge

A Yank perspective

While I don't know who would be best for the role I, speaking AS an American, agree totally with "NOT an American playing the Doctor" sentiment.

What I DO recommend is Wayne Pygram (channelling Scorpius) to play The Master.

I am deeply concerned that this will be such an extreme departure from what we all know as the Who universe as to be unrecognizable crap that irreparably damages the "brand."

MrT
Bronze badge

Wayne Pygram...

+5 for that suggestion.

Aeryn Sun as well, please.

Pint

Brits with American accents

Andrew Lincoln

Idris Elba

Christian Bale

Chiwetel Ejiofor

Clive Owen

Lennie James

Anonymous Coward

Why not...

Since Terrance Dicks, Philip Hinchcliffe and Paddy Russel are all still alive, putting together a team who know what they are doing.

Paul McGann

Minus the atrocious wig this time of course. Or failing that..Hugh Laurie because he should all be housed out by that time

Coat

If it's a "reboot", as is so trendy these days...

... and if it is to remain within the canon, then they should really start with an old actor (a la Hartnell), allowing them to progressively recast with younger actors over the years that I am sure they anticipate the new movie series to run.

In that age bracket I'd toss in Lee or McKellen as ideal choices.

Other perhaps less likely options to include: Charles Dance or even (to complete mind-f*ck the fans) Tom Baker as a new FIRST Doctor (a title that he already holds imho, despite his sequential designation as 4th).

Sonic screwdriver in the pocket.

Pint

Right -

Here are your choices then:

Gary Oldman,

John Cleese,

Richard Hammond (with Jeremy Clarkson as his companion - killed off in the first scene),

Morgan Freeman,

Bob Hoskins,

Christopher Walken, or

Sean Connery

That should cover it.

Thanks.

Boffin

Wrong!

If you want your next Doctor to come from Top Gear, James May is the obvious choice!

Silver badge
Coat

Only one choice

Sir Ian McKellen

http://files.funshare.me/2011-09-17/ian-mckellen/gandalf-and-magneto.jpg

Mine's the stonewall one...

WTF?

PLEASE PLEASE LISTEN TO ME!

What ever you do please Keep the doctor with the accent.

Do not kill the doctors voice like that did with that latest James Bond character who to me looks more like a Russian than anything bred inside europe.

So....

A. Keep him with a european accent!

B. Keep him true to the past functions as that of the past doctors.

C. Do not call him THE DOCTOR if you are going to hire a 7 foot monster(or 4 feet)

D. I would like to see the doctor exploring more rooms of the tardis! Would be nice to have a full VRML or CAD file of the tardis and export it to a shooting game.

E. Make sure when the movie is complete it opens everywhere at the same time on planet earth and not some lame 6 month or 1 year waiting period before it shows in other countries.

F. There is no F.

Anonymous Coward

Regarding point E.

Bittorrent will take care of that issue, methinks.

Trollface

...reimagining

Ok, so the Doctor has regenerated as an american teen, but can't remember who he is. He comes to terms with the strange, fragmented memories he starts to get by singing in their glee club.

and it should have sexy vampires.

Happy

Do you have a newsletter to which I might subscribe?

Pint

Warwick Davies as the doctor...

...with Martin Freeman & Kate Beckinsale as assistants.

Villans:

Captain Cyborg as Davros (Saves on prosthetics),

Alan Rickman as the Master,

Billy Connoly as the voices of the Cybermen.

Silver badge

Bah!

Before belittling the "American Threat" to the purity of the vision, one should check out the two existing Dr Who films and see what (mis)casting Van Helsing aka Grand Moff Tarkin as The Doctor did to the franchise before most of you were born.

Also - Bernard Cribbins. Heads should have rolled.

Bronze badge

they are Dalek films, the Doctor is incidental

The poster of the film has the words "Dr Who and" about half the area of the letter D in "Daleks"

And produced by a pair of Yanks - Rosenberg and Subotsky.

Megaphone

Paul Darrow FTW

Oh, sorry, I was daydreaming there.

I thought they might want someone good. Carry on.

actually..... JULIAN CLARY!

SORTED.

Meh

Bill Nighy or Bob Hoskins

If you're going to get me interested in watching any Who produced this century, my first demand is to see another oldish, crotchety Doctor.

Bovverd - not

So a big screen production of a classic TV show? any actor with two brain cells to rub together will know what Hollywood's track record is and also the expression 'bad career move' which leaves Steve Martin who is really very good at burying classic TV and Movies without a trace the perfect murder!

Funny thought though the Dr has always been idiosyncratic a little odd or off the wall crazy ...and I understand Mr Charlie Sheen is available

Childcatcher

As soon as I saw the article it made me remember this web comic. And I even saw Jason Statham mentioned in the comments :)

http://www.cad-comic.com/cad/20100702

Silver badge
FAIL

"In Development"

Means nothing. No money, no script, no crew, etc. Countless Doctor Who movies have been in development, some of which even got as far as having scripts attached to them as well as directors (one early 90's effort even claimed to have Leonard Nimoy attached to direct). Still didn't get made.

It's a long and hard journey (thankfully) to the silver screen. Presumably all this so called "announcement" means is that someone is trying to drum up some money to develop the idea further. Even that alone will take years.

Basically believe it when they start shooting.

Robert Carlyle...

...would not take any shit from Daleks.

Or do it as an animation and get Seth MacFarlane to do the voice.

Childcatcher

Jude Law

No? How about Russell Grant?

JDX
Gold badge

If you want yank-friendly brits...

What about Eddie Izzard? He's also a loon.

This topic is closed for new posts.