back to article Mozilla promises more speed with Firefox 9 beta

Mozilla has released the first beta of Firefox 9, just days after the release of the eighth build of the popular open source browser. The Firefox 9 beta, available for Windows, Mac, and Linux, promises to be faster than previous builds thanks to type inference technology now built into Mozilla’s SpiderMonkey JavaScript engine …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. bazza Silver badge
    FAIL

Firefox needs to be careful...

...especially over plugins. Sooner or later they're going to break Flash (probably by mistake). As soon as they do that most people will defect immediately.

Also, they don't seem to realise that most people out there don't give a stuff for the technical advancements, etc. etc. All that most people want is a browser that just works OK in the same old way. People who use software get used to how it works and don't want it to change. Hasn't Mozilla seen the fuss over, for example, Microsoft's ribbon interface? Developers are practically the last people on earth who should be allowed to make UI design changes.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Speed?

Who cares about gaining few percents on javascript execution, when the whole software takes forever to start and regularly freezes for a few seconds?

3. Mike Judge
    FAIL

More broken promises?

Don't Mozilla promise this every release, yet Firefox gets slower and more bloated...

4. Bruce Ordway

I went back to 3.6, probably permanently

>I went back to 3.6, probably permanently

Me too

5. FrankAlphaXII

Fx still wins because you're not sending data back to Google or Apple unless you use their services. That in and of itsself is the reason I use it. So go cry all you want over version numbers, but Im not getting my data harvested by anyone but my ISP.

6. Gordan

Now if only...

... they can actually also shrink it's memory footprint by another 40% on top of what they achieved in FF7 to make it broadly comparable to Chrome, and it might actually become a browser worth using again.

7. xox101

Stop your whining...

So FF release cycle will stop business using it? I work for Seagate, guess which browser Seagate recommends for work? Of course the version used in work is not the latest, has to be tested first which is the same for all software but if Seagate are happy with FF then there is no reason for other business's not to be the same.

I'm on the beta channel on my home machine, now on FF9 and apart from the very occasional few seconds freeze I'm a very happy user. Three groups of tabs with the biggest group having around fifteen tabs open at any one time. All my add ons work with add on compatibility unchecked.

I also run the latest FF in Linux Mint within a VM on the same box. Absolutely no problems whatsoever.

And I agree with the earlier comment about Chrome being bundled with virtually every piece of software nowadays. That verges on spyware in my opinion. If FF did the same all you whiners would be complaining about that as well!

8. Dan 55 Silver badge

Live on the edge, man...

My copy of Aurora updates daily and I somehow manage to get through the day unscathed, although with the aid of Add-on Compatibility Reporter disabling add-on version checks.

However Mozilla are really going to have start to do something about this because it's annoying to the average user, perhaps by making a API version number starting at the current browser version number then making extensions check API version numbers, so the browser version can march ever onwards and upwards while the API version goes up more slowly as the API is added to/changed.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like