Feeds

back to article Eleven - if you will - rocktastic music movies

11 November 2011 - 11/11/11 - is Nigel Tufnel Day, a day to celebrate pushing the envelope as far as it can possibly be pushed - and then pushing it one step beyond that. As Spinal Tap's lead guitarist would say: "An 'undred years ago, a great war - the greatest since the Romans - came to an end. It was all quiet on the Y …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Well, it wasn't...

... rock, so that's probably enough to have kept it out. But that doesn't stop me mentioning The Committments - so I will :-).

What about us youngsters?

No Bill & Ted? or Wayne's World? Both would surely appear higher in the list than Tenacious D.

Thumb Up

Anything is better than Tenacious D, and Wayne's World is actually good so it's far better than Tenacious D.

Thumb Up

Both of the Biopics could be replaced

By a single movie:

Sid and Nancy

I don't see how you could overlook that one.

In addition to the excellent nominations of Blues Brothers, I would also suggest Crossroads (Steve Vai's performance as Lucifer is to be seen).

APA

Not to be confused with "Crossroads" staring Britney Spears.

I've heard about that Steve Vai film but have never found copy to watch, with the BS version polluting all of my searches. There's also a link here, didn't Steve do that Wyld Stallyon "Excellent!" sting (plus a few others) in Bill and Ted?

Let's not forget Ry Cooder, who played Ralph Macchio's licks.

Happy

One I was surprised not to see...

The Ramones - Rock n Roll High School... classic!!!

Thumb Down

A few missing

Gimme Shelter - Stones

Live at Pompei - Pink Floyd

Help! - Beatles

Don't Look Back - Bob Dylan

No Direction Home - Bob Dylan

Monterey Pop

Woodstock (How could you miss Woodstock?)

Still, I can't argue with Spinal Tap at 11, they are still one better than anyone else.

Silver badge

Yellow Submarine

If only for the superb "Nowhere Man"

(Written by Reg staff)

Re: Yellow Submarine

You're right we should have had Yellow Submarine in there.

Good call, sir.

Not forgetting...

Eddie & The Cruisers

Take It Or Leave It

Head

Control

Everything's better with zombies

I would humbly nominate, from the annals of movies-so-amazingly-dire-they're-genius, Hard Rock Zombies, one of the worst/best b-movie rock flicks ever made :)

I'm dazed, and also confused

*nobody* has seen fit to mention "The Song Remains The Same"?

Pint

An underrated gem

"Get Crazy"

Thumb Up

Beatles humbug.

Anvil and Bill & Ted would be my "obvious omisions".

But what's a top list without a few obvious omissions?

PS: couldn't make a 'emissions' pun actually funny. Shame.

Paris Hilton

Did it for you

Paris, a source of obvious emissions.

Hint: nearly any double entendre works with Paris as we all dirty minded gits here....

Silver badge

jack black

wtf?

I mean srsly wtf is this fuckwit doing in this list with sooooo many excellent movies missing?

You may as well have included byker grove cos ant & fecking dec were in that!

on the whole tho 9/11 (oooh conspiracy theorists go mental)

Maybe not quite worthy of the list but I think Airheads is a worthwhile honorary mention

It does feature a small cameo by Lemmy

Bronze badge

it's astounding ..

that you left off Rocky Horror!

Surely ... It's Astounding ....

Rocky Horror Picture Show is a rock'n'roll movie, not a movie about rock'n'roll ;)

For those die hards there's also Runaways, however you do need to be a fan of the band or of Joan Jett to get most out of it else it's a bit of a drag.

FAIL

Where in the name of rock and roll is Dig?

The Brian Jonestown Massacre - like spinal tap meets the f-f-freak brothers, but for real.

I'm serious, and so is Anton.

Go

Great list but Crowe's earlier movie around the 90's Seattle scene, Singles, would have accompanied Almost Famous quite nicely. Ok it is technically a love story but does feature Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam and Soundgarden amongst others.

Thumb Up

Cracked Actor, anyone?

Yentob's feature on Bowie's uprooting to the USA, his change of musical direction and the increasingly apparent drug use makes a superb documentary.

Another vote for Anvil, too.

FAIL

With the utmost due deference...

..Comic Strip's .Bad News Tour preceded Spinal Tap ergo Spinal Tap == Bad News Tour. And Bad News Tour was an order of magnitude better.

Bronze badge

Maybe not "rock' but "Stop Making Sense" is a mesmerising film and how could you overlook "Weld"? - which makes me wonder why no one's directed a Sonic Youth film?

Paris Hilton

What about...

I'd like to introduce you to the hardest-workin' band in the world. On bass, Derek "Meatman" Scully. On piano, Steven "Soul Surgeon" Clifford. Dean "Mr Nipple" Fay on sax. Joey "The Lips" Fagan on trumpet. Our gorgeous chanteuses are Bernie, Imelda, and Natalie. Deco "Deep Throat" Cuffe on vocals. On lead guitar, Outspan "Fender bender" Foster. Finally, on drums, Mickah "Don't Fuck With Me" Wallace. Ladies and gentlemen, The Commitments.

"Fuck me! I've just seen Imelda Quirke's arse coming over that wall!"

Joey teaching Dean to play Soul on the Sax:-

Joey: Are you doing what I said? Are you thinking of that reed as a woman's nipple?

Dean Fay: I am. But, I'm a little embarrassed, she's still in school.

Joey: Maybe you should set your sights a little higher? My trumpet was always Gina Lollobrigida.

Dean Fay: [thinking] How about Kim Basinger?

Joey: [holds his hand up to his chest as though cupping a breast] Is she?

Dean Fay: Oh, yeah!

Joey: Right. Pick a nipple and try again.

Paris...... is she????? (see how its done Whitter?)

Passable list, although I would have included Still Crazy.

However, your descriptions of both 24 Party People and Control suggest you're note recalling either film too well. The first starts in the late 1970s, not the late 1980s, and Factory Records started as a record label - hence the name. The club (Hacienda) and bar (Dry) came later. In Control, Ian is clearly shown abusing prescription drugs, and while it's not acknowledged in the film, Bernard Sumner has spoken on at least one occasion of the band members regularly taking speed.

MrT
Bronze badge
Thumb Up

Still Crazy...

... can't beat a bit of The Fruits

"History teaches us that men behave wisely . . . once they've exhausted all other alternatives. For most rock bands, the pursuit of wisdom's a low priority compared to fame, fortune and fornication. Such a band was Strange Fruit."

Coat

Talking Heads

Two pages of commments and no-one has mentioned "Stop Making Sense" yet?

Heavy Metal...

... does that count?

"The Fate of these two will be decided at the Breastry Area in Nippopolis!" - Major boobage ;)

Thumb Up

The first ever film released on DVD

That little factoid seemed a little surprising. Some further research actually suggests that "Twister" was in fact the first ever film to be released on DVD. What was your source? Genuinely interested.

Trollface

Prince

Purple Rain has to be worth at least a mention

Unhappy

Another ommission

Still no mention of the Leningrad Cowboys?

Coat

What?! Spinal Tap are American actors??

I'm not f**king having that! I'm getting me coat!

Pint

What about The Doors ?

Or "It's all Gone Pete Tong" ?

Bronze badge
FAIL

Pitiful list

Leningrad Cowboys Go America is missing, why?

I demand an answer!

Hey, you forgot....

Young Einstein - starring the brilliant Yahoo Serious, the film covers the little know Australian years of Albert Einstein, from his youth in rural Tasmania to his invention of Rock'n'Roll. He also saves kittens along the way, and gives the best explanations of both the music theory of rock'n'roll and relativity you will ever see.

and...

Starstruck - a time capsule for Sydney's once vibrant pub rock scene, circa 1982. Brilliant music written by Tim Finn and performed by the absolutely delicious Jo Kennedy.

icon? none. none more icon.

Megaphone

Others

The Filth and the Fury and Oliver Stone's movie "The Doors" would be on my list.

Bronze badge

unbelievable...

no-one's mentioned Bandslam or The Rocker or Breaking Glass... come on now...

Anonymous Coward

I'd add Hedwig and the Angry Inch.

Silver badge
WTF?

Sorry, you lost me at...

"Funnyman Jack Black"

Bronze badge

School of Rock? Please, no!

I'm usually a fan of Black's work but that was truly cringe worthy.

Rockers??? What about the mods???

No Tommy or Quadrophenia, you greasy haired rockers are all the same

Once

If Walk the Line can get in then Once should have strolled into the list. The leads play their roles convincingly and poignantly, apparently they fell in love whilst filming - it shows! Great film, if a bit 'chick-flick'.

Also not yet mentioned, there was Great Balls of Fire, Bird and Ray, though only the latter two are probably worthy of consideration. Bird may be decidedly not rock but it's rock'n'roll IYKWIM.

Pint

How about

The Buddy Holly Story? Gary Busey was fantastic here, before he slid off the deep end.

La Bamba? I always had a soft spot for this movie, for r some reason.

The Blues Brothers? If you're going to include Walk the Line (an excellent movie), then blues should be included as well. With Aretha Franklin, John Lee Hooker, Cab Calloway, Ray Charles, etc etc etc, and classic catchphrases, it's definitely top 10. ("I hate nazis ...")

Mo Better Blues. Again, if you're including country, ...

Roadie. Okay, I'm kidding, this one was HORRIBLE, so bad that Jack Black and Chris Farley could have been in it.

Hail Hail Rock N Roll. I've always been a fan of Chuck Berry, to the point where I told my kids that they have to learn Chuck Berry riffs or I wasn't teaching them guitar.

Adventures in Babysitting. Yeah, I know, but there is that scene with Albert Collins saying "Nobody leaves this place without singing the blues."

Anonymous Coward

This Is Spinal Tap

Is so Eleveny that even the IMDB star rating goes to 11.. did you spot that? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088258/

Pint

Jesus H. Tap Dancing Christ.

I have seen the light. Putting the band back together was a mission from God and yet you forgot the Blues Brothers!

They had a band powerful enough to turn goat piss into gasoline.

Head

No inclusion of The Monkees’ movie masterpiece? Seriously?

Written by Jack Nicholson and Bob Rafelson (who also directed), the film has a storming soundtrack – Peter Tork’s ‘Long Title: Do I Have to Do This All Over Again?’ and a live rendition of Nesmith’s ‘Circle Sky’ are two highlights.

The story is completely off the wall, satirising the film and music industries, as well as the band themselves:

"You say we're manufactured.

To that we all agree.

So make your choice and we'll rejoice

in never being free!

Hey, hey, we are The Monkees

We've said it all before

The money's in, we're made of tin

We're here to give you more!"

The opening sequence alone would justify the cost of admission.

Wot no Street's of Fire?

Am I the only on ewith the above on DVD?

Pint

Live Music Here

What about "Little Voice"? A great film about the other end of the music business.

This topic is closed for new posts.