back to article Ofcom boss warns of low interest in 'superfast' broadband

Ofcom chief Ed Richards has warned that cash-strapped UK consumers lack enough incentive from ISPs in the country to upgrade to "superfast" broadband packages. Richards said that the virtual form of Local Loop Unbundling, dubbed VULA, needed to meet a variety of "key requirements" in order to "open up as much of the network, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Video is the king here. surely?

For those that don't do downloading (legal or otherwise), video is the thing that eats bandwidth, surely, especially higher resolutions?

I always assumed the Holy Grail of content providers (e.g. Sky, they bought Easynet for a reason?) was to get DRM'd pay TV-on-demand down the Internet to as many homes as possible, and charge accordingly = profit. All you need is a TV (with suitable electronics within), no need for computers etc.

This would of course require as many homes as possible to have Internet connections capable of carrying multiple streams of HD video.......oh.

Note to OfCom - stop trying to run before we can walk and try upping the FTTC rollout so that the vast majority can at least get to single-figure megabits, please, instead of this silly willy waving contest for 2 people who'll never use the 100MB/s as they don't own a HDTV.

(back to my 896k connection and wait my turn on Youtube, then go make a brew till it's buffered enough to be worth watching without interruption, thanks. Yes I do live in a village, but it's a pretty darn big one these days for the exchange to only be in the next town!)

2. John A Blackley

I have a barrier

My barrier to "taking up superfast broadband" is my experience of carriers' lying in every word they've spoken until now.

3. This Side Up
    FAIL

Where's my 8Megs?

I'm signed up for "up to 8 Mbps". Since being upgraded to 21CN I'm getting around 2Mbps at quiet times, and not enough for YouTube or iPlayer in the evening. The ISP should use it's new technology to give me what I'm paying for, then if it's not fast enough I might think about paying for a bit more.

4. KroSha

I get my broadband from Be / O2. I get a solid 9Mb down and 1.3Mb up, which is pretty good. I live about 3/4 of a mile from the exchange and BT tell me that I can get 5.5Mb from their ADSL. They keep on pestering me to upgrade to Infinity, but I honestly don't see the point. I currently get a free static IP and absolutely no caps or shaping, which BT and VM both do. I'm happy paying for what I get until a faster, *better* service comes along. And I'm fairly confidant that when it does it won't be from BT either!

5. btrower

There is never enough bandwidth

Of course there is little consumer demand for bandwidth as such. If the people running the telecommunications industry don't understand bandwidth, what is the likelihood that consumers do? They no more have a demand for 'bandwidth' than they have a demand for 'ICs', 'DSPs', 'SOI', transistors or silicon for that matter. What they *do* have is a demand to keep their time (nobody wants to wait for the network), use their communications (TV, Radio, Phone, Email, Internet access, etc), keep their money, keep their privacy and ensure their safety. Bandwidth affects all of those things. Many reading this won't be able to figure out how those things apply even after being told 'what' things apply. That means, to me, that they don't really understand 'bandwidth' enough to make an informed decision on bandwidth as such.

The only thing that currently separates and differentiates the broadcast television, cable television, mobile telephone, landline telephone, Internet and satellite networks is legislation whose major effect is to support rent-seeking on the part of incumbents who control them.

A converged network using a universal protocol such as TCP/IP is inevitable. Once it is in place, you will find demand for bandwidth grows to exceed what we can supply. There is a trade-off between CPU cycles, Storage and bandwidth that means that as long as there is a demand for any of them, there will be some demand for all of them. You can substitute, for instance, bandwidth for storage. We do now. We do not all carry our own personal copy of the Internet. We fetch what we need. Were storage less expensive, some of that material would shift closer to us. In fact, portions of what you *do* fetch from the Internet have already been brought closer to you and are substituting storage that is closer to you for bandwidth on the wider network. Similarly, CPU can be substituted for storage by re-calculating things rather than storing the answers and devoting greater resources to more exotic compression techniques.

We could easily saturate orders of magnitude more bandwidth than we have now.

Most in the first world have phone, television, radio and Internet. The aggregate bandwidth of those exceeds the bandwidth under discussion. They belong on a converged network and that network would of necessity have greater bandwidth requirements than current broadband connections.

The people asking customers about this should know better and I think they do. These are rationale for a decision already taken to protect their no longer viable business model.

6. Patrick 14
    WTF?

I'm on fibre to cab. As I'm at the end of my local exhange. My line via ADSL was ruuning at 2.5mbps.

only problem is BT is Dragging its feet as it took 3 months to switch my line over to the new box just 5 metres if that from their box.

Now the Digital Region box is around 350metres from my home and I have a download around 30mbps stable ( 40mbps service ) and a upload speed of 7.5mbps.

its only £25 a month where as my adsl was aol and was £15 with a 40gb limit and around 445kbps upload

i have two kids that love youtube videos and a wife on facebook all the time and I use steam game and onlive game streaming service . when we are all online you cannot even tell. but when we had the ADSL, you could tell even simple things like updating the Os on our pc's took forever

I still have my phone with BT as the ISP I use does not do voice calls. and VOIP is rubbish even at faster speeds ( the ISP I use has a VOIP for their home based staff ).

Until you use it and make use of it you do not really know you do need that kind of speed.

I also have a Sony 32" Tv with internet tv and we do use it for BBC iplayer and it needs 3.5mbps for better a stream thats not even classed as hd

7. peachy001

I went from 10 meg to 20 meg with Virgin due to gaming issues. The service has been flawless, for everything except gaming. Gaming still has its moments of major lag. I don't download much, so why would I need the extra bandwidth? Especially as I resent paying more than £22 for internet per month. If I wanna download, then I can do it overnight. Never fallen foul of their day time shaping. My needs may change as the kids get older though. I would love iplayer etc upstairs, just don't have the kit that will run it.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like