Feeds

back to article Apple admits iPhone battery suckage, promises fix

Apple has admitted to battery-sucking bugs in its recently released iOS 5, has promised that a fix will be forthcoming, and has seeded a beta of iOS 5.0.1 to developers. Apple's admission comes to us via AllThingsD. Before The Reg told you about the battery suckage and a few suggested fixes, we asked Apple for confirmation and/ …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Anonymous Coward

@John

I tend to agree completely.

Except - of course - the C64 was in fact better. :p

Big Brother

iOS5 is Apple's mobile device Vista

Certainly in my experience on my 4th gen Touch. Noticeably slower operation, repeatable freezes, takes an age to unlock, several crashes.

Downvote me, I don't care, I only speak the truth.

at least they are working on the fix which will be available soon to all iOS users. doesn't affect me much though.

iPad 1 here

lag on virtual keypad (and sometimes system wide) and random app crashes (utterly random, works for days then crash), both Apple (particularly Safari) and others, even those updated for ios5.

Not so annoying I've bothered restoring to new and reinstalling everything, but seriously considering it.

Thumb Up

hmmmmm, had this problem a while ago

I had the battery problem, coupled with a 'you have used your data allowance' message from O2? My iphone 4 battery would go from 100% to off overnight! Suddenly stopped without me doing anything? OS update has not brought it back! Strange........................

Meh

Out of interest

Where exactly are all these 'Apple fanbois in denial that a problem even exists'?

I can't say I've read anyone saying such things, all I see are people with a bit of common sense trying to put things in perspective. Anyone?

WTF?

I wonder if this will fix the 4s feedback and distortion when using hands free?

Seems to be pretty common. When on a call hands free I start getting loads of distortion on the call. Looking at the Apple forums, it seems that the microphone in the handset is sometimes turning on even though I'm handsfree. In the short term, I can get around it by turning speakerphone on and off but as an everyday phone its already getting on my tits!

Oh, and Siri's about as much use as a chocolate fireguard!

Thumb Up

This fixed it for me...

I rested my iPhone 4 onto my 4S and was ready to demand a refund when the battery would fully discharge whilst I slept every night (and I don't sleep that long!).

I was serious upset and not happy to turn everything off to try and make it work, as what would be the point of upgrading.

Anyway, I tried lots of the solutions and as with a previous upgrade (may have been the 3 to the 3S) a lot of the problems seem to come from restoring settings made for the previous model onto the new one.

I found that if I did a 'reset all settings' (you don't lose any data/contacts/media) that after a further power cycle of my phone I'm suddenly getting good battery life (well similar to my iPhone 4) without turning off all the nice new features.

I can now easily go a full day again with my normal usage without worrying and lose about 1% an hour overnight (the phone checks email every 15 minutes), which I'm happy with.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.