back to article Nokia's Brave New World is (almost) Finn-free

What a difference a year makes. The only Finnish presence on stage during the 90-minute opening session of Nokia World this year was a dead architect. None of the five speakers was a Finn, and they said some very un-Nokian things. It’s a sign of how much Nokia is changing under Stephen Elop. Although Nokia still speaks its own …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Steve Evans

eh?

What's the deal with these numeric numbering schemes? They've only got two phones and it's already meaningless!

Old Nokia did attempt some kind of logic to its naming scheme, although hid it well, but 710 and 800, what on earth do these relate to?

if you're going to use numbers, at least make them refer to something... BMW, Merc and Ferrari manage it. A phone doesn't have cylinders, but it does have cores and RAM.

1. Ralph B
      Devil

> if you're going to use numbers, at least make them refer to something...

I think they refer to the number they expect to sell.

2. gaz 7
    FAIL

It's another closed system like iOS -

you need PC desktop software to transfer media and files - FAIL

There is only limited multitasking - lot of apps freeze when backgrounded - FAIL

no proper microSD support, although academic here - FAIL

1. Sean Baggaley 1
      Go

Except...

... iOS devices are selling like hot cakes, so clearly that "closed system" issue isn't, er, an issue.

... unless you're aware of some magical non-standard, yet somehow ubiquitous wireless media and file transfer protocol, you're going to need some form of connection between your media and your pocketable devices. And Windows Phone 7 is supported on both Windows AND Mac OS X, so that's both the major desktop platforms sorted. (For Linux, there's Android. Poor buggers.)

... multitasking is overrated. Most people task *switch*. Even so, it is possible to run some tasks in the background on WinPho7 (and recent versions of iOS, and even WebOS), but the more "true" multitasking you allow, the shorter your battery life will be. This is a tradeoff most users are unwilling to accept, hence the focus on limited multitasking features.

... SD Card support is idiotic on a smartphone when they already have built-in 3G / 4G and bloody WiFi! There's a bloody good reason why iOS devices sell so well: Apple don't expect you to "manage your cache" or manually decide which particular abstract bit-bucket to install that application and data into. The computer's job is to do all that boring techie shit _FOR_ you, not burden you with micromanagement features that are of interest to precisely two people, neither of whom have a girlfriend.

1. Giles Jones Gold badge

Even if you don't have a girlfriend you still may have better things to do than manage your phone. Creating software that works fairly autonomously is quite difficult, hence why Android doesn't bother and has lots of buttons for clearing caches and data.

I'm actually tempted to get one of these phones. I was tempted by the Palm Pre but the cut price phones never materialised. At least we know WP7 isn't going to vanish quickly, sure the Kin phone died a death but that was because Microsoft did the hardware as well.

2. Paul Crawford Silver badge
        WTF?

@Sean Baggaley 1

"unless you're aware of some magical non-standard, yet somehow ubiquitous wireless media and file transfer protocol,"

Er, its called "USB storage device" and it allows you with nothing more than a USB cable to copy to/from the device on any OS without a pile-o-shite like ITunes/Zune.

"SD Card support is idiotic on a smartphone when they already have built-in 3G / 4G and bloody WiFi"

Er, no its not. I can change my phone's 2GB storage to 32GB+ for a FRACTION of the cost some suppliers would charge. Also I can swap cards to remove personal data at repair time (how do you wipe/factory reset a dead phone's internal storage?) and/or to swap in any apps that need a lot of data easily, like a detailed map of Europe, etc.

3. Mark 176
    FAIL

competitively priced?

I just don't see where people say it is competitively priced to the iPhone and High end Android phones when the hardware is nowhere near as good. It is on par with a mid level android phone or iPhone 3gs which cost nothing compared to these.

4. Jay 2
    Meh

Kevin Shields tool, Lumia fail and potential Asha win

Saw that clip on BBC News last night, thought he came over as a bit of a tool. Somewhat unstrangely I was reminded of *that* Balmer clip.

I can't really see Nokia making too much headway churning out identikit WP7 handsets. They might be able to shift some in Africa and the bits of Asia where Nokia still has some brand loyalty left, but elsewhere they'll be up against all the other manufacturers' WP7 phones before you even mention Android or iOS. So I think their long term future lies in how much of the Asha line they can shift.

5. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

"Back when the seismic strategy shift was revealed in February, many doubted this was possible.."

Considering that the only Nokia contribution was Navigation application (ported from other platform, and taking into account that it had .net variant, not much work also...) I am not very impressed. Even manufacturing was outsourced...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The same version of Drive and Maps

is on the MeeGo based N9 - obviously just a port of the work done there.

The Nokia Music app on the N9 is also quite decent, but fortunately doesn't have the stupid automated "playlist" feature present on the Microsoft devices. Sorry, Nokia WP7 devices.

6. Manu T
    FAIL

Nokia World 2011, what a joke.

The only thing that really happened was a few non-Fin employees padding each other on the back.

Like that weird Indian woman talking about Carla and Vivien... WTF!!! And that shrieking monkey with his ESPN-app. That's gonna be available to any Samsung and HTC winphone device within minutes. Not to mention mr. beardman with his crap about social websites in one place?!?!? Nokia phones already have that! It's called Social and it ain't new. It's made by former-symbian employees and just ported to WinPhone.

In fact it's insulting to all the poeple whom worked for years on Symbian, OVI-maps, Social-app, the small-footprint webbrowser, the magnificent calender and contacts integration with OVI-maps and many other things that current Symbian owners take for granted, that these guys claim that he navigation app on the 800 is unique.

Apart from it's design there's nothing to differentiate Nokia's Lumia 800 (winphone crap) from other Windows phones. Pronouncing that this Lumia 800 is the first true 'Windows Phone 7-'phone is pure bollocks. There's nothing special about it. An off-the-shelf half backed feature-less OS embeded into the last-years design o/t N9 (which isn't even available this year unlike what Elop insinuate!). It's even WORSE, gone is that beautiful slide-UI, gone is that gorgeous swipe to homepage, gone are ALL the smart things that made the N9 a real unique phone. The N9 was the first true iPhone opponent from Nokia. What we get now is something that looks like an N9 and behaves like ANY cheap LG/Samsung winphone. The only thing that might grab some attention is that Carl Zeiss logo on the back.

Also it's insulting to current customers that these assholes openly tell us that WE aren't important enough for them. They only care about the 'emerging markets' because "hey, we wanna get another billion people connected". It's thanks to the Western World that these retarded assholes can play ball. We provided them with the big money and now we're "redundant"?

I really don't like this. And the weird thing is that NOBODY in that audience even stood up and called against this! They even applauded this insulting 'sing and dance contest'!

Oh... and why try these 'suits on stage' to impersonate Steve Jobs? It's just laughable. with their wrinkled shirts out of their pants trying to look 'cool'. It's not working, Dude!

I just couldn't bear myself to watch this thing through to the end. It's a joke! An insult to ALL the things Nokia has done in the past. They invented GSM for god's sake! They invented smartphones AGAINST Microsoft and now this charade!

AFAIC. Nokia! Go fuck yourself in 'the emerging markets'!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Exactly.

Deeply integrated social networking and IP communication has been in Nokia devices for several years, it was very well done on the Maemo based N900 and even better on the N9/N950.

The only thing Nokia lacked was *focus* to bring this all together and to do it well.

The company needed to rationalise it's R&D spend, that's beyond doubt, but it certainly did not need to dump it's own software and it's own independent future just so that it can help Microsoft crush everyone else. It was already moving in the right direction, the announcement on Feb11 was premature.

7. airbrush
    Meh

Telegraph Awards 3.5 stars

The telegraph seemed to think its good but not as good as higher end android + apple phones. At least meego kept software development in Europe + engadget thought the n9 was on a par with mango.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Love it...

..."Sonic Terrorists" not heard it before but will now refer to my little boy as that on a regular basis.

9. cgunner
    Coat

Bootnote

I *think* you'll find that the vomit-inducing volumes myth is attributed to Swans, not My Bloody Valentine. And in any case, is completely unconfirmed.

Mine's the one with the no-wave vinyl records in the pocket...

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like