back to article Binned PCs were stuffed with MoD and Sun staffers' privates

Security researchers have found personal records of Sun newspaper and MoD staff on the hard drives of discarded or resold computers. The study, The ghosts from the machines: A history of 10 years of carelessly discarded data, found that both businesses and consumers are getting rid of old PCs without wiping them clean. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And this is why...

I pull my hard drives from the machines and using properly mixed iron oxide and aluminum powder, and a long magnesium fuse... 'erase' my hard drives.

Not sure if its as therapeutic as taking a sledge hammer to them, but much easier to clean up. ;-)

2. Paul Powell

Once is enough

Just overwrite the drive once with zeroes using dd and it'll be fine for anything below top secret or the recipe for coca cola.

To get round that would require such a ludicrous amount of effort as to never be worth it - or to put it another way, it'd be a lot simpler and more reliable to stage a break in and steal the disks before you wipe them...

3. BoxedSet

Can't read this, do do do do

Any failed hard drive of mine gets treated to a rendition of MC Hammer out on the patio. MC Lump Hammer that is.....

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.