back to article This just in: Brussels shatters CRT cartel

The European Union has squeezed a settlement out of CRT glass manufacturers it accused of operating a cartel back in the days when people used glass screens. Three vendors will cough up a total of €128m (£111m) to settle the investigation. Nippon Electric will pay €43.2m, Schott AG will pay €40.1m and Asahi Glass will pay €45. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Acme Fixer
    Unhappy

Disposal Tax

The crooked colluders here in California charge us an additional tax on any LCD screen bigger than (I forgot) inches "for disposal". I could see this with the leaded glass in CRTs, but why are we getting screwed with lead free LCDs?

1. Dave 13
      WTF?

Tax

When's the last time a tax or 'disposal fee' was actually killed when the reason for imposing it went away? Never. Taxes are forever, remember that.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nothing like quick justice.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Then they would have gone and bought the overpriced stuff anyway because they are haughty snobs and don't "buy cheap".

Bit of a chip on your shoulder eh?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So basically Samsung did it but because the grassed on the others they get away with it = DIRT

5. John A Blackley

Improvements

The practice ended in 2004, Brussels started investigating in 2008 and the case (because it was 'fast tracked') was closed in 2011. Nobody who was damaged by the cartel gets any of their money back and the EU gets to trouser the lot.

Given their past speed and results, this is quite the improvement. Next they'll be announcing that they've reconciled auditors' failure to certify their accounts for 2003.

Or not.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And for their next trick...

There existed a lightbulb cartel, apparently provably so, though it was about keeping hours per bulb at exactly 1000 (instead of 1500 or 2500 or even more), not about fixing the price to anything. Now with lightbulbs having been legislated out of existence in the EU, seems about the right time for anti-competetive EUcrats to step in, no?

1. BristolBachelor Gold badge

I seem to remember being able to buy long-life bulbs, and seeing bulbs rated for 5000 hours (important if changing them requires getting out scafolding, or you don't want them to go out half-way through a show!)

However, most people went and bought the "Tesco Value" bulbs instead, with lifetimes so short they might not even work by the time you got them home!

(yesterday I saw that Philips have finally released a dimmable LED, 35W equivalent GU10 bulb, and for only 45€)

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

Those Philips LED have been out for a few months now

It really surprised me to find that they're pretty good - down to 12% or so.

Shame they don't have an MR16 equivalent yet.

7. ratfox
    Coffee/keyboard

cartel of videotape makers just four years ago

You owe me a new keyboard!

8. Dave 13
    FAIL

The EU is asleep at the wheel..

..and collecting a paycheck. Seriously, folks, they make the US DOJ look like gazelles. And places where they *should* be a roadblock (Oracle buyout of Sun comes to mind) they just putter around and eventually allow it.

9. Acme Fixer
    IT Angle

Cartrel???

If they're so bent on busting cartels, then why does the diamond cartel (deBeers) still get away with controlling and manipulating the price of diamonds?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like