back to article Amazon revamps E Ink Kindle line

It's official: the Amazon Kindle Fire will debut at $199 (£130), sport a 7in colour screen and run a customised version of Android with its own UI. It'll be accompanied by a touch-sensitive Kindle, the Touch, and cheaper alternative with no touchscreen. Both have E Ink displays. The Fire - codenamed 'Otter', by the way - …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. swisstoni
    Devil

Amazon site has just updated. At the moment it looks like we're only getting the $79 Kindle for..... wait for it......

£89

Rip off Britain strikes again. Now where my Daily Mail..........

2. Nights_are_Long

Prices just got confirmed starting £89

3. Reticulate

Pounds for dollars.

The one you get for £89 is non-touch: you navigate an on-screen keyboard image using the 5-way controller. Pre VAT that's £74. The equivalent non-touch version is $79 in the USA. Takes me back to the good old days of Cisco pricing.

4. Whitter
    Flame

UK costing rears its ugly head yet again

Does anyone in large-brand marketing deparments understand the anger that UK price inflation causes? Anger that will be detremental to the task of luring people away from other tablet devices (this not being an e-ink device).

5. swisstoni

Special Offers

I think the difference comes from there not being a 'with special offers' advertising supported option. The $99 Kindle touch is $139 without it, and the one we're being offered here is $109 without.

So $109 in £ is £72.66 + 20% vat = £87.20. So all in all, fair doos really.

6. CaptainObvious
    Thumb Up

The UK one doesn't have adverts, quit ya whining!

Compare that to the US price for the one without adverts and it's not too bad.

Where is the Kindle Touch for UK however?

7. simon 43
    Thumb Up

"Special Offer" Sponsored pricing

Almost everyone is reading the headline pricing...

The US (standard, keyboardless) 'new' Kindle 3 is only $79 when sold with 'special offers' (read adverts) instead of normal screensavers. The non-advert version is being sold at $109!

$109 at 1.5$:£ gets you to around £72, by the time you add VAT (because you have to) the pricing is £87 and a bit.

What will be interesting is the pricing of the touch screen models if they ever make it to this side of the pond..

8. andysw9
    WTF?

Except we won't be getting the $79 version as that has 'special offers'.. the non ad-serving version is $109, so at 1.5 is £72.66 + 20% ie £87.19 - hardly a 'rip-off' difference.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

At least this explains the recent rash of Kindles being offered as prizes

I even managed to blag one (sadly wifi only but I'm not ungrateful) for listening to a lot of marketing speak for a few hours.

I need to try harder for the iPad however

10. PaulM 1
    Linux

Can the Fire run standard apps such as a PDF reader?

The Kindle Fire has a customised old version of Android. This leads me to ask whether it can run standard Android apps such as a PDF document reader, a Word document reader and an Excel spreadsheet reader.

My reason for asking this question is that existing Kindles can not read PDF files without first mailing them to Amazon. I do not want Amazon to read work related PDF files and this had stopped me from buying earlier versions of the Kindle ebook reader.

The fact that the Fire has a customised version of Android also leads me to ask whether the Fire obeys the copyleft restrictions on the Linux kernal. Richard Stallman would not be happy if the Kindle Fire is a closed source software product.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

Paul

I have a Kindle Graphite WiFi & Kindle DX. Both stuffed with PDFs. Have never emailed files to Amazon for conversion.

Announcement material lists the supported files.

Have pre-ordered new entry model at £89 (a steal) with ETA of 13th Oct.

No music files or headphone jack on new basic Kindle.

Mike Campbell - UK

11. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Let the price wars commence

Looks like Apple have been going after the wrong people - Ipad mini for USD 199? They'll probably sell like hot cakes and then Amazon will have them.

12. Neil Barnes Silver badge

and the question no-one has asked...

How does it deal with the huge pile of non-amazon supplied books I already have (most in epub format with no DRM). Is it necessary to use Calibre (I assume that will provide a host as it does for the existing Kindles) to manage a library?

I like the idea of the device. I don't like the idea of being tied to a particular vendor one little bit, and have no great interest in purchasing books, particularly if they're tied to DRM in any way. I do have an awful lot of my own books, y'know, folded paper things, which are slowly being scanned, proofread, and stored away.

1. Edwin
      Megaphone

There is an answer!

Buy a Sony (or Nook, or some other brand of ereader)

Amazon is not the only game in town...

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

I already have a Sony PRS 300

but it's getting a bit battered and bent after a couple of years, and the interface bugs are starting to annoy me... so I'm looking at alternatives. This looks as if it has possibilities, but I have read reports about really long delays when used with many books... cheap enough to play with though.

13. HP Cynic

I've now seen the prices: that "£50" for the most basic model has warped into £89.

VAT would have made it £60 so the other £29 is just a gouge.

Still cheap but but still overpriced compared to the US.

Won't be bothering until they price them fairly.

1. Euchrid

@ HP Cynic

As other have mentioned, there are two versions available – the ad-supported version for $79 or the standard one for $109. Only the latter will be available in the UK.

Based on today’s exchange rate $109 equals £69.54 – adding 20% VAT takes that to £83.45, so the mark-up is less than six quid.

2. Martin

yet another person...

...not comparing apples with apples.

This is the non-advertising version - it's $109 in the US, so £89 isn't bad.

14. ToonArmyBarmy

Exchange Rate

Didn't know Stirling was so low against the dollar! $79 in USA £89 in UK... What's that about?http://www.reghardware.com/Design/graphics/icons/comment/thumb_down_32.png

15. R J Tysoe
    FAIL

"Didn't know Stirling was so low against the dollar! $79 in USA £89 in UK... What's that about?"

Your lack of comprehension?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like