back to article Blue Screen of Death gets makeover for Windows 8

Windows 8 doesn't just put Microsoft's operating system on finger-friendly tablets, it also gives the notorious Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) a touchy makeover. Known officially as a bug check, the BSOD has been overhauled so it can take its place in an age of brevity and emoticons. The Windows 8 BSOD still features the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
    1. Piro Silver badge

Not really..

Most BSODs I see these days are hardware problems anyway...

2. Andrew Moore

Well...

to be fair, I've had a few BSODs on my Mac running Snow Leopard. The only difference was that the Mac version didn't come with any text- Just a light blue screen.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Did you

look in the relevant log to see what the problem was?

3. Aaron Em

"Simples!"

Yeah -- you'd *have* to be in order to make a suggestion like that.

4. The Fuzzy Wotnot
      Stop

Just sort that out....

"Purge your life of fucking TROLLS and avoid the problem totally.

Simples!"

( I am a confirmed Mac/Linux user, I just think we all need to try to get along with our own personal choices without the pathetic, childish comments like the 12 year old master troll above! )

1. SmallYellowFuzzyDuck, how pweety!
    Meh

It looks a lot more complicated than the old BSOD, complicated maybe enough to earn it's own error message if it itself runs into problems.

Yeah what *does* happen when the BSOD crashes?

2. Miek
    FAIL

"PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA" -- unfortunately a restart will not cure corrupt memory.

With the BSOD, they simply need to put in USEFUL messages like:

* "Replace Your Memory"

* "Replace Your Hard Disk"

* "Perform Full re-install"

Rather than the "Technical" information.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA does not mean a problem with hardware.

In fact, very few times is this the case in my experience - it's almost always drivers misbehaving.

All it means is a page fault occurred when a request was made for memory than cannot be paged out, and the page was not resident in RAM.

Replacing the hardware won't fix driver issues.

The bugcheck screen has little of use on it - the event in the event log has the STOP code and 4 parameters which gives just as much information to start troubleshooting.

2. Steve Renouf
      FAIL

Driver mystery

I'm still amazed at how windows can still come up with "unknown" device detected and not give you any sort of clue as to what type of device it's suddenly discovered (when you haven't installed any new hardware recently) that would give you a clue as to exactly which bit of "unknown hardware" has probably just developed corrupted drivers or gone titsup - thereby enabling you to specifically re-install those drivers or order the replacement part.

I also still don't get how linux can tell you exactly what you have just slotted in (usually including the firmware version etc.) when windows quite often doesn't seem to be able to even tell you what type of device has just been inserted!?!

Of course, I still use windows as well, as I have some rather expensive software which only runs on windows :-(

1. Sandtitz Silver badge
        Windows

You're holding it wrong

Check the properties of the unknown device on the device manager, select the 'details' tab, select 'hardware id' from the top down menu. What you'll see is the ACPI/USB/PCI ID strings which you can then google.

HTH.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

Or

* "Replace Your Memory"

* "Replace Your Hard Disk"

* "Perform Full re-install"

* "Give up, visit www.apple.com"

4. N2

Or

Replace your operating system!

Like the dorks at PC rip of World used to tell people

1. Doug Glass
        Go

"rip of World?

Whazzat?

3. Mark Allen

Rare occurance

BSOD is a noticeably rare occurrence now. So rare that when you see someone trying to go "ha ha, windoze does blue screens" they always have an Win9x blue screen as their example...

1. CD001

Depends on what hardware you're running and how well the drivers are written (or if you're using signed drivers)... Creative and ATI/AMD don't write good drivers. I think I can chalk almost every BSOD I've had on my Win7 box up to either my Radeon or Sound Blaster drivers.

1. Sandtitz Silver badge

Just appending the missing information here...

"Nvidia drivers named as lead Vista crash cause in 2007"

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2008/03/28/nvidia_vista_drivers/

I can happily say that my current/previous laptops with the Intel crap have been BSOD free for years now. Of course they're not the powerhouses of NVidia or AMD but they do run the games of yesteryear just fine.

And Creative has disappointed me since before Windows 95 with their lack of support or working software.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I call Blueshite

It was uncommon in XP, as compared to the Win-9x series. Vista and Win 7 have improved but I wonder how much of that is simply due to the default behaviour now being a reset. Cause drivers are often still Shite!

4. stim
    Thumb Up

great!

Love it!

5. AaronG
    Mushroom

Amiga

Guru Meditation is where cool errors ended - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guru_Meditation

6. Herby

Why not...

Just put up a screen in LARGE letters:

REBOOT ME

So that when it appears on those outdoor displays, we will ALL know what to do, even the idiot people who call customer support.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

HaHa

Spotted a BSOD in the Sheffield Shopping mega centre, should have read

I'm Buggered

7. Arrrggghh-otron

Developer Preview

This is pretty much all I have seen of the developer preview trying to install it in a VM.

Rather ironically it doesn't even start the install under Virtual PC but sometimes (when it isn't locking up) presents the nice new blue screen under Virtual Box.

1. Glen Williams
      Mushroom

I have been playing with the dev preview this morning. Initially I was having the same trouble. I was getting a DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL stop message referencing storachi.sys

It appears that the preview at present doesn't play ball with the VirtualBox SATA controller. If you go into the settings of your created VM, Under storage remove the disk from the SATA controller and re-add it in as an IDE disk that 'may' fix your problem as it did mine.

8. Shaun 1

I've seen the Win8 BSOD a few times so far

But that's mainly because it doesn't seem to work in VMWare and I get the error during install

9. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

My Windows 7 install has not shown BSODs yet, neither has my XP install on my decidedly aged laptop done so for years. Having said that, a smiley like that would not go far to improve my temper once it did happen. Seeing one in a demo of a product is perhaps not too odd, as it is probably still in beta. I will give MS the benefit of the doubt here. If the BSOD is not likely to pop up at all in the final product, I don't much care what it looks like.

10. NoneSuch Silver badge

"Your PC ran into a problem that it couldn't handle, and now it needs to restart. After the restart please click on the resulting link where you can not only fill out another exciting MS survey but you also pre-register for the update to Windows 9 which features an even larger frowny face icon and 15% faster Blue Screens for your convenience. "

"Microsoft. Inconveniencing you just enough to convince you to upgrade every 18 months."

1. syserr0r
      Coat

@NoneSuch

At least with Microsoft the product support/lifetime is half-decent unlike Apple where you have to upgrade to the newest iToy to continue getting software updates which, when they release a phone every year-or-so, could get fairly inconvenient.

Probably a good job in that respect that the Apple fanboys are devoted enough to always buy the latest/greatest.

Mine is the one with anti-Apple propaganda in the jacket pocket...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Idiot

My Tiger and Snow Leopard systems are still working fine, and there is no real need to upgrade till the hardware dies, which so far has surpassed the life time of the S*nY V**o which managed 2 years.

I can still do all the things I need to do, and for security, well a decent router with third party firmware behind another firewall , plus dpi on the outgoing traffic to sop Om*****e little tricks.

I love fanboize btw, they help fund the development of the closely knit hw/sw that Apple provides as part of the package, and therefore reliability , and I expect to migrate to Clouded Leopard next.

1. Manu T

@ Aimee

"...I can still do all the things I need to do..."

Thanks to the efforts done by third party developers like Mozilla foundation or Opera. Because the Gestapo... I mean Apple, wants you to upgrade to Snow or Lion to have the latest Safari. Contrary to the Windows version where you still can run the latest one on Windows XP?

Apple fucked up as soon as they started using inferior Intel cpu's in their supposedly superior systems.

2. Dana W
        FAIL

not really, no.

My iPhone is in its third year of supported updates

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Event viewer doesn't always help...

@David Webb

The event viewer doesn't always help, especially if you can't get into Windows to view it in the first place. That's why the BSOD error codes are so important to power users.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If you cannot get into Windows to view the event log (or manually lift the .EVTX files offline) then what troubleshooting would power users do anyway?

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I would have said...

...that the lack of information would reall hack off support staff that needed to know WHY Windows fell over in the first place, but then I sat and thought of all those time when, armed with loads of obscure numbers, I couldn't decypher them anyway ... so ... no change there, then.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

No, it should read..

"Your PC ran into a problem called Windows, and now it needs to be reinstalled with Linux"

1. Aaron Em

Funny

You'd think I wouldn't get annoyed by idiots like this one -- after all, if I could somehow wave a magic wand and replace all my clients' various Windows installs with whatever happens to be the trendy flavor of Linux, my desktop support business would increase in value by a factor of ten.

14. FreeTard

I still prefer

NMI, Dazed and confused.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

bomb

its more like Mac's bomb. oh hang on a min Macs never "bomb out" do they!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Idiot

Yes they do, so does any OS, but real OS's give you more info in tracking down the problem.

CRAPOS is for the masses, use it at your peril.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A sad face?

Surely it should be a panicking face?

1. hplasm
      Meh

Like MS care ?

It would be a

17. alex 39
    IT Angle

I personally like the multi-language message in OS X telling you to reboot, and just in case you're not sure what a power button looks like, they show a big picture of one. It also nicely dims the screen, which somehow makes you want to forgive it.

18. andy gibson
    Happy

ASCII smileys

how professional

19. My backside
    Unhappy

This is what it means...

The new BSOD should actually say, "Our crappy operating system ran into a problem that it couldn't handle, and now it needs to restart."

That's it.

1. IT veteran
      Happy

What, like...

Kernel Panic?

20. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

What happens with an intangible touch screen?

Back in the days of DOS: "Keyboard not found. Press any key to continue."

Then came Windows: "Mouse not detected. Click here to change."

Now that Microsoft is looking at tablets do we have "Touch screen not detected, tap here to continue."

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

A fave of mine..

A favourite of mine is from Windows pre 2008, when you've got a filesystem mounted in a mount point and try to delete a file that is too large to fit in the 'recycle' directory of the parent drive, it's something along the lines of:

"Not Enough space to delete item."

21. Quxy
    Thumb Down

However pretty the occasional error screen...

...W8 will continue to be as annoying as ever when it forces you to reboot the tablet after every new application you install.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I've seen plenty that weren't hardware failure.

Usually it's due to cheap-and-cheerful Chinese-written drivers that were written 5 years ago even though I only bought the device 2 months ago.

23. Uncle Siggy
    Megaphone

To the point mentioned earlier - the lack of error message means less exposure on search engines regarding specific problems therefore centralizing specific knowledge about Windows problems. This is clearly a tactic by Microsoft to enrich their support services -- and by enrich I mean increase revenue.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Actually, Windows Error Reporting (WER) is in-box and through submissions of data relating to app and OS crashes, allows solutions to be provided to end users when they appear - so if you hit a bugcheck typical of, for example, a known nVidia graphics driver issue, you get a URL pointing you to the place you can download a stable version.

Next time you click on "opt out" for any "customer experience program", read what it says and think again ;)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like