back to article Windows 8 to boot in 8 seconds

Microsoft is touting very fast boot times for Windows 8, thanks to the clever trick of writing the kernel state to disk at shutdown. Rather than write the whole contents of memory to Windows' hibernation file, Windows 8 just writes enough to be able to put the state of driver, services and such back into memory, ready to run, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

you guys are funny

It sounds like some of you would be much, much happier if Windows 8 took longer to boot.

At least then you'd have some valid reasons for criticisms rather than this usual tripe..

If they add features it's anti-trust baiting bloatware

If they take them away then it's a rip off

If they have different versions then it's "confusing"

If they don't have different versions, then it's a rip off paying for unused features..

It's too different from the previous version

It's too similar to the previous version

This doesn't just go for Microsoft, but in general critics don't mind if other critics have entirely contradictory reasons for complaining... so long as they're complaining.

Yes it remains to be seen (which makes the whole business of prejudgements silly), however it seems apparent they even if they announce features that would be welcomed on any other system, some will find a reason to complain.

And complain, not that it'll be bad, but shock horror, it might be good, possibly successful and pervasive OS on everything from desktops to tablets. That would be awful, if M$ ever bring out a decent O/S you guys will have to find something else to bitch about.

Your mum's cooking perhaps?

1. Arctic fox
      Thumb Up

@AC RE "You guys are funny"

"That would be awful, if M$ ever bring out a decent O/S you guys will have to find something else to bitch about."

Any of us who have been reading El Reg for some time have noticed that a certain section of the commentariat *will* regard it as a disaster if Win8 is any good and the trans-platform strategy is competently implemented.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

IT Whingers...

@AC - Bang on.

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of things that IT guys manage to whinge about. Often it boils down to change, which is ironic for such a fast moving field.

"I've learned XYZ OS and can't be arsed to learn another, therefore I'll just bitch about the others in the hope that I can keep going with my single OS and keep my cushy job." Seems to be a very common reason for bitching other OSes. This goes for a certain group of all OS admins/devs: zOS, iOS(not that one!), UNIXes, Linuxes, Windows, Mac OS, all have these people and they're all tedious.

Still, one thing that I've learned in 12 years of working in IT is that you don't get anywhere by whinging all the time. I know people still on the helpdesk at my first company, whinging about the fact that they've not been promoted, but not actually doing anything about it. There are other people who started at the same time now in senior management, because they put themselves forward, embraced new stuff and made things better rather than just complaining about their lot.

2. Christian Berger

Back in the olden days

Back in the olden days, my Windows System booted up from DOS to Windows in 2 seconds.

Then most linux-based X-Servers boot up in that timeframe, even when running on a Pentium 90.

The big problem is that this time doesn't reflect the true boot time. Those 8 seconds won't give you the services you usually need, like an SQL-Server or a webserver.

1. AceRimmer
      Facepalm

yeah, cause everyone needs access to SQL Server and a webservice on their desktop

3. fourThirty

the medal is on its way...

Bravo Paul_O!

Gold medal in the mail to you for owning a Mac, and successfully posting a smug comment about it!

4. Bascule
    Angel

but but but

My i7 running win3.11 boots way quicker than that..

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Bascule

Around 1999 to 2000 I worked for the local council installing PCs and servers into council offices, schools and that sort of thing. Because Councils never permit anything new until they have tested it to death we were installing Windows 3.11 onto Desktops with a PII processor running at something like 450-500MHz

Boot time from cold to the logon screen was about as long as it would take you to read the following sentence out loud:

post, post, post, post, doswindows

As long as you read the last bit really quickly.

5. Bascule

@fourthirty

No point sending a 'gold' medal.

However, a nice shiny thin aluminium one would be just the ticket.

He could multi-touch himself for ages over that ;-)

6. FunkyEric
    FAIL

Why boot?

Usually leave my old PC on 24/7, they were designed to be run that way anyway, so boot times are rarely an issue. And lappy just goes to sleep at night anyway lol

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Eric

Your PC wasn't designed to run 24/7, the hard disk probably has a duty cycle of about 8 hours at a time. This doesn't mean to say that it won't run all day, but you'll reduce it's lifespan.

Having said that, I leave my Fedora netbook booted all the time and just close the lid when I'm finished with it, it does run on an SSD though. Last reboot was after a month of "uptime" becuase I accidentally let the battery run out.

7. Cam 2
    FAIL

Sounds like they are adding complexity at shutdown time, and whenever a real shutdown is needed, which I'm guessing will be a familiar scenario. I've seen some Windows systems take longer to shutdown than boot already...

What users would really appreciate is a system so stable it can be hibernated or suspended endlessly, apps and all, instead of being shut down. Some non-Microsoft systems already do this :)

8. Anonymous Coward
    Mushroom

8 seconds? Pathetic!

Since I stuck a Compact Flash card into my Amiga 1200 as an HD, I get Workbench up in 4 seconds.

9. Alienrat

MBA 8 seconds?

You must have a really fast macbook air then, my wifes one isn't that fast. It is fast, but not 8 seconds fast. I have just put a new crucial 256GB SSD in my macbook pro, so now it is 28 seconds from power to useable desktop with apps and documents loaded (down from 67 seconds on a monumentus XT 500GB). I am quite happy with that, although I don't tend to restart.

However, I think it is good that people are trying to improve. My windows 7 machine only takes a few seconds to logon screen, but from start it takes a few minutes before it is in the state that you could call usable. I don't quite understand the linux / mac comments anyway - windows starting faster doesn't take anything away from you.

After all - it may take 2 minutes to get to a usable desktop in windows, but in linux, it has been 30 years and we are still waiting :) <runs>

10. Stefan 2

Times, they are a changin'

Or they should be, but I don't see much evidence.

PC architecture dictates these ridiculous, non-threaded ways to initialise hardware. We may have progressed from ISA through PCI, PCI-x and (now) PCIe, but the model has remained the same for a long time.

Devices are dumb and rely on drivers to make them do anything. This is evident so clearly when your OS first starts the long crawl to usability, after power-on. Those lovely low-res graphics reminding you which OS you have installed. No greater reminder is there that we are relying on ridiculously outdated technology.

Where is the standard graphics interface? It shouldn't be difficult, what with all the muscle your average GPU carries (more than most PC's, if stories are to be believed). Windows should be interfacing with something resembling a fast framebuffer, but with obvious additional capabilities. Instead, Windows interfaces with a driver, which abstracts all of the fast stuff behind a lot of code. Sometimes the code doesn't do much and just passes and translates API calls, sometimes it does a *lot* of work to fool Windows into thinking it is dealing with native capabilities.

Until we morph the 'driver' model into something else, like a smart device with a teensy bit of glue code, those boot times are only ever going to get longer.

Mashing kernel images into a compressed file is just putting lipstick on a pig.

1. Tinker Tailor Soldier

If your video hardware was designed in the early 90's... maybe?

The CPU does NOT access a frame-buffer for rendering. The CPU might access textures to write to using aperture memory. After that it uses vertices, vertex shaders and pixel shaders (assuming a low-endish GPU) to cause a completely different co-processor to render the result to the screen.

The driver is responsible for handling the fact that all of these GPUs are incredibly different. They run different ISAs on their streaming units (basically a SIMD instruction set). You supply an instruction set that is JIT compiled to the correct architecture by the driver. Some GPUs run video on a general compute framework, other GPUs run video on very specific piexe of silicon. Lets not even talk about the fact that the memory ordering of all of the texture memory is specific to the GPU too to optimize cache locality.

In an ideal world all of this crazy capability would be standardized into an ISA and you could abandon the driver, but we are nowhere near having enough conformity in the hardware to allow this. But if you look at what AMD is implying by their roadmaps, seems to me like we'll get there.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

inet cruft

boot time is all very well, but... MS would do well to implement a "check for updates" manager, to stop all the world's cruft from scanning the web every 17.5 pico seconds for an update to some obscure software you never use anymore...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They have

They have, it's called the Windows Scheduler, very few companies use it though, which is odd, because it's actually more effort for them to write their update widget than it is to just create a schedule.

12. Mr Young
    WTF?

8 seconds boot?

Wow that was fast...wait a minute?

"Updates are ready to install"

10 minutes later...

"You need to restart your computer"

13. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Pperson

Don't worry...

...they'll steal your idea next year and call it their own revolutionary innovation.

14. adnim

more time

waiting for PC to boot... less time working. This is only an issue if you love your work.

For me, wiping a couple of minutes off boot time is meh and a shrug or so what Icon would be more useful. Of course others' mileage may vary.

15. veletron

Bios

Meanwhile, your PC's BIOS will take roughly twice this amount of time to POST... WTF is going on in the average PC's BIOS that takes so long?

Maybe MS can hassle the BIOS devs to get their bit done in a more reasonable 1-2seconds.

1. Stuart Duel

BIOS is dead

Well, at least Apple shot it between the eyes when they walked in Intel's front door and jumped into bed with the all new, modern EFI.

16. DEAD4EVER

windows 8

ok so microsoft is finally wanting to make windows boot up faster buy reducing the amount of stuff that loads. but why couldnt they do this on previous versions of windows like vista 7 xp 2000

17. JeffyPooh
    Pint

Yeah, what about all the programs looking for updates?

As soon as you turn on the damn PC, every installed program (including the OS) piles onto the Internet looking for updates. If they could simply block all the 'check for updates' app panic for the first twenty minutes after boot, then maybe I could actually get to the emergency situation information I require before it's too late.

In summary: Let the Meat Machine use the Internet FIRST, please and thank you.

Damn, I can't believe that it's 2011 and we still have ask for this basic, common sense sh!t. On most versions of Windows, even moving the cursor from the Start Button directly towards the Control Panel pops up the All Programs list, blocking the desired destination. Sigh...

18. MrcX
    Meh

totally unbiased article

Now, how come I have never read an unbiased article on this site on different workstation OS'es... just putting things as they are, without quirky or clever comments

19. GekoBR

Almost as copied from macosX Lion last version... lol

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like