back to article Hey Commentards! [This title is optional]

Yesterday, we added three new features for Reg commentards. The most obvious - and many of you spotted this already - is that commenters no longer have to write a title to accompany their post. We like headlines but many of you don't, so this is our gift to you. We have introduced a new sorting option - now can you arrange …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Chimp

English grammar...

... is not particularly irregular. It may well once have been, though as with all living languages it has evolved in such a way as to remain useful.

1. MarcusArt
      Headmaster

[snip]

Also, since I am an anally pedantic foreign grammar nazi, the following options:

A) Click here to report spelling fails

B ) Hide illiterate posters' posts because they can't be taken seriously

[snip]

You mean: 'Click here to report problems with spellings'. In fact it's frowned upon to use 'click here' in terms of usability. So you should probably say 'Report spelling mistakes.' Make sure it's underlined.

Oh and nazi should be written Nazi.

And you simply need to say pedantic - technically.

A dog just crapped by the bench I was sitting on so I'm grumpy and mean today. Sorry.

B. Yep. So I should not have seen this beauty.

Rant on folks. Happy days.

2. Charlie van Becelaere
      Headmaster

Of course

one assumes that what you really wanted was to filter by poster's sex. Gender options would be masculine, feminine, and (depending upon your choice of language) neuter. It appears to me that you are addressing male and female.

I'm always happy to help.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

1. briesmith

No it's not; mot at my age anyway. Gender is a class, sex is either a piece of anatomy, a noun or a verb.

"The detail of her sex was clearly visible through the shimmer that was her dress."

"Would you like sex?"

"I need to find out how ro sex a tortoise."

4. William Wallace

The best suggestion, surely, would be to ban anyone who wants to comment on anything, as like Groucho Marx who would never join a club that would have him as a member, I don't want to read comments on a site that would allow me to make comments.

1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

(untitled)

(body)

2. Svantevid
    Thumb Up

*Optional*, thanks Grud

"now can you arrange by time of posting"

---

This will definitely come in handy, for reason Mr. Orlowski - praised be his name, he allowed comments on his article - already knows... looking for new posts in long threads will become much easier.

"Lastly, if you post anonymously you don't get to pick an icon. All Anon posts get a V for Vendetta mask instead."

---

Can we get reasons for it? Just out of curiosity, I have no problems at all with that decision. :-)

1. Dan 10

I'm guessing because many sites tend to encourage a slightly inferior user experience for those that don't sign up...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Anon?

Posting anon can be done without signing up?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Except that anonymous posters HAVE signed-up..they have simply chosen not to show their used ID.

1. Anonymous Cowerd
          Happy

Quite so.

2. Peter Gathercole Silver badge
          Meh

Anonymous comments (I don't mind titles!)

Can we have two names registered against a mail address?

I am open enough to post many of my comments under my real name (unlike many of you), but I frequently use the anonymous option, normally if I am posting things that may upset my employer, wife, children, the police etc (OK maybe not the wife, she is a technophobe, and does not read the Register, and the police could get a court order if what I have said was against the law).

But I appreciate being able to use an icon with my anonymous posts.

What I may have to do is register a second account with an unrelated name to my real one. If I were allowed to have an alternative "alias" for my account, and be able to select it like I do Anonymous Coward as an alternative, I think that would be really useful.

Now, what has not been used yet, but would be suitably humorous?

3. JDX Gold badge

@Dave

They could easily have a "general" board for non-topic threads, which are not moderated the same way... i.e. a moderator is around to remove spam and so on but not to personally gatekeep every post. Like all the other forums.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Sir,

You're lack of posting a threaded comment indicates you don't understand the comments forum, there fore I'd suggest we ignore your comment.

Regards

Anon

There are already too many good (and bad) open forums out there. Keep El Reg to commenting on the published stories, although perhaps there should be a "suggest a story" option so the moderators can be notified of potential articles.

1. Stoneshop
        Headmaster

@AC 09:19

Your apostrophe catastrophe and misspelling of 'therefor' will cause your comment to be ignored.

1. Camilla Smythe

e

Please find your missing vowel in the title.

Please try not to excuse yourself by suggesting you were trolling. There is an icon for that. Your other more obscure excuses, should you be able to find them, may also be rejected.

2. nyelvmark

misspelling of 'therefor'

Skitt's law. Enough said.

2. Arctic fox
        Thumb Up

RE ".........a "suggest a story" option ........"

That I have to say is a good idea. Opens up for more reader-input without (at the outset) risking the "baby out with the bathwater" risk implicit in reader generated threads - although not excluding that option at a later date if it was thought desirable. Suggestions could perhaps be divided between a "specific news items board" and a "suggested topics board". The latter being suggestions concerning what posters here would like El Reg's reporters to take a look at even if the topic concerned is not necessarily a hot current news item.

:)

4. Jim 59

Question

The Register forums - do they run on Windows or Linux ?

1. lurker
      Linux

The title is no longer required

Debian. Good choice.

http://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_report?url=http://www.theregister.co.uk

1. Shades

Why did you go to Netcraft when El Reg provides all the details themselves?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/about/company/website/

5. Trygve Henriksen

Wrong icon...

I never post anonymously.

Except that I may be incognito now and then...

Please, can't we get a choice of icons for those of us who aren't lametards living in their parent's basement?

6. Steve Renouf
    Thumb Up

The title is fine on the article but is unnecessary on replies to the same topic...

so I'm glad this has finally been realised! (About time!) :-)

7. Gwaptiva
    Thumb Up

A title is optional and must consist of letters and/or numbers

And a "Remember me" tick box. Hope this is in line with the rather confusing cookie regulations. Too complex for a simple software developer to understand

8. James Pickett

Optional (it says here)

Not reader-generated threads as well, please! I spend far too much time on here as it is...

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bollocks

What am I supposed to complain about now?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The weather.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Titles? We need Titles

Mine's the mask with a coat in it.

1. Christoph

We don't need no steenkin' titles!

11. tony
    Happy

Can't we have optional post body's now?

Type your comment here — plain text only, no HTML

1. theBatman
      Headmaster

Bodies?

Type your comment here — plain text only, no HTML

12. Anon

?

"All Anon posts get a V for Vendetta mask instead."

ORLY?

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Shame you didn't fix the site logon problems with Opera password manager. This seems to be the only site on the entire internet that's broken with it.

I'm guessing it's because you have multiple logons on the same page on different domains (theregister, reghardware, channelregister etc etc etc).

1. DJV Silver badge
      Flame

Opera

No, that is probably just to annoy the Opera user that everyone down votes.

1. Anomalous Cowturd
        Joke

Re: Opera

Do you mean me?

Or the other one?

Andrew Orlovski, where are you when I need you?

Ducks! :o)

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lovely

Next:

1 - Fix tabbing so I can log in and check the options without switching between keyboard and mouse.

2 - Fix the whole "reply to" thing.

...waits for a barrage of comments blaming both problems on my browser.

..oh ok then, I'll go and test it on Firefox.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What if I want to post only a title?

(body)

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

but we need bodies, preferably heavenly ones

16. Jon Double Nice
    Coat

How about a points system

For commenting "First!!!" (with any combination of caps and punctuation)

For posting 'First' and getting the first post, 1 point

For posting 'First' and not getting the first post, -the position of your post (i.e. 2nd post = -2 points)

At the end of the year, we check all the totals, and then everybody who has partaken in this game gets a kick in the nads.

1. Velv
      Thumb Up

How about a running total of votes next to your handle. Up votes +1, down votes -1

2. Magnus_Pym
      Thumb Up

How about a league for highest average upvote/downvote ratio per post. See who is the most popular popularist.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

And the winner is

Anonymous Coward

2. Anomalous Cowherd Silver badge

Second the "league"

OK, maybe not a league but perhaps a number next to each poster showing their accumulated total. Should flag up the most blatent trolls so I know who to ignore (exhibit A, "Barry Shitpeas" - 219 down votes in the 2 weeks since he signed up).

3. Sir Runcible Spoon

"and then everybody who has partaken in this game gets a kick in the nads."

Brilliant :D

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
        Terminator

May do the kicking?

May I? May I? May I?

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE PLEASE?

Icon, because, well, obvious, innit?

17. It wasnt me
    Unhappy

I quite like the titles though.

Damn, now I've nothing to say here ....

18. Winkypop Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Optional

Hmmmm, good show!

19. Anonymous Cowherder
    Go

Finally!

That title thing really did annoy me!

20. Swoop
    WTF?

Wot, no title?

What is the world coming to?!

This would *NEVER* have been allowed under the reign of Sarah Bee!

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.