Feeds

back to article Apollo 17 Moon landing: Shock revelations

The recent release of Apollo landing sites snaps, captured by NASA's Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (LRO), was a serious kick in the 'nads for the black helicopter brigade and their tiresome insistence that the good old US of A faked the Moon landings. American astronauts did indeed walk on the lunar surface, and that would seem …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

all four? everything in moderation, dear man, everything in moderation

>snap!< >thud!< >splat!<

As the BOFH drops a safe down a liftshaft onto you, for forgetting about him.

Silver badge

Sir

"being entertained by none other The King himself."

FAKE!!! His shadow is dancing in the wrong direction!

Smashing stuff, I couldn't wait to get to the end of the article so I could post :D

Meh

Obviously fake, the picture is in colour.

Pint

I'll have two of whatever it is Lester had for lunch today :)

(Written by Reg staff) Bronze badge

Lunchtime refreshment

I'd strongly advise you against it. The doctor's here and he says it's 50/50 if I'll ever walk again.

Alien

Say it isn't so!!!

Are chew fucking witch me. I'm sorry I don't buy it... there's something decidedly conspiratorial about those space explorers.

Boffin

My new career move.

Wow, revised laws of physics eh?

Bernoulli, Newton, Einstein and mates--just piss off. Always said yous bastards got it wrong.

Me?

Well I'm happily and gainfully employed in my new career of revising and editing physics-101 textbooks.

Trollface

The trolcopter has landed!

Anonymous Coward

Typical

"Ridicule is the first and last resort of fools"

Yum kool aidz!!! - http://postimage.org/image/1ahk3ncqs/

Go

Those are tyre tracks from a London Bus

There said it

Thumb Up

+1, Lester.

Bronze badge
Windows

Just had to run out of the pub...

..For pissing myself laughing, as the loo was in use. Thank God there was a nearby bush.

Thanks, Lester, Friday's are never the same since I found El Reg!

Scientology coverup

Xenu first tried to use rocket ships disguised as B52's but after one crash landed on the moon he decided to go with a DC8 shaped model instead.

Boffin

The capitalists have got to you comrade!

"Russian equivalent - three-cent disposable paper cups readily available from Wal-Mart."

Surely that's a 3 Kopec paper cup from GUM - and it's Soviet!

(Written by Reg staff) Bronze badge

Re: The capitalists have got to you comrade!

No, the damn Russkies didn't have the same level of cheap paper cup capability. They bought 'em in Wal-Mart and smuggled them out in the diplomatic bag via Cuba.

Yanno Lester...

I have to hand it to the russians and their inginuity... I remember reading where NASA spent millions on developing a pen that would write in 0 G... The russians used a pencil.

Silver badge

@zen1

Will the "Space Pen cost NASA millions" myth never die?

http://www.snopes.com/business/genius/spacepen.asp

I remember growling at techs using lead pencils to toggle DIP switches. I can't begin to describe how much trouble that caused back in the day ...

Silver badge

My weekend is now officially off to a great start, thanks!

Just one question; where was Bigfoot?

Black Helicopters

Whalers on the moon?

A distinct lack of whalers on the moon, carrying a harpoon, singing a merry tune etc.

Childcatcher

Good luck to anyone wanting to build anything near Frinton, being a mere Emperor of the Ocean won't be enough to persuade that mob within the Gates!

FAIL

very clever

Keep believing your single-bullet theories, and keep believing that buildings fall straight down without explosives, and keep believing the government wouldn't lie to you.

Most likely the limey stooge who wrote this has been the recipient of a few nickles and dimes out of the billions the pentagon has been spending on propaganda. I guess that sounds like a conspiracy theory too? Go google "pentagon money propaganda" No, you won't, because 5 seconds of typing and 2 minutes of reading is too much work for the flat-worlders.

Silver badge

It must be bad trolling.

Then again, this IS the Internet.

Re:Just had to run out of the pub...

I'm sure our American brethren understand, though they're more used to being pissed on by a Bush... Sorry had to get that in there.

I loved this article and I can't even see the pictures, pure classic. (Yes I have a visual impairment, want to make something of it?)

Anonymous Coward

irrefutable proof called for

Next time someone manages to land on the Moon, they need to carve out, in large letters, the words "I was here!" and sign it. It needs to be big enough that anyone on Earth with a sizeable telescope can see it.

Anonymous Coward

No, don't carve out 'I was here', but ..

Klaatu barada nikto

better still, the next astro/cosmo/Taikonauts that do eventually drop back there for a visit should find a good open stretch of flat lunar surface and do a crop circle.

wait for conspiracy theories when one of the lunar probes photographs that.

Silver badge

Ah, Friday :-)

I'd head for the cellar to sample my latest IPA (kegged 60,000 gallons of it 4 weeks ago; it should be ready to go), but Crush waits for no man ...

Silver badge

Typoes R us ...

I hate replying to myself, but rather than withdrawing a post that tens of thousands[1] have undoubtedly already read, I'll correct it this way instead ... Make that 6,000 gallons.

375x15.5 gallon "half barrels", the rest is in 12 and 22 ounce bottles (just under 155 cases; I had some loss due to my inexperience with the new system) ... It's the first "industrial sized" batch out of my fledgling micro-brewery.

No, it's not new. I got it from an established micro brewer here in Northern California for the price of "if you can move it out of here within the next three weeks, you can have it" ... They were making space to expand their bottling line.

[1] OK, maybe two people ... The moderator, and me ;-)

Silver badge
Boffin

That can't possibly be genuine

All genuine conspiracy theories must by law have at least one reference to the Knights Templar.

Anonymous Coward

Not just pizza

In fact, there was a whole American fast-food conspiracy going on back then. That's what really paid for the R&D to get to the moon. Notice how the rockets stopped going to the moon once McDonalds, Sub-Way, Pizza Hut and KFC started spreading out on every Earth street corner instead.

This is the original image, before the Silence shaped human technology to develop Photoshop and doctor it:

http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/1079/bucketp.jpg

Anonymous Coward

Ahhhhh, Thank F**K it's Friday!

You missed it

It is true that Apollo 17 was on a secret mission and found something undisclosed to the public. It was the Nazi's secret moon base.

Silver badge
Holmes

A known fact!

This is why Gus Grissom was blackmailed into sinking his Mercury Capsule, the "Unsinkable Eva Braun", taking the proof of the things he found to the ocean bottom.

Alien

Already documented

Come on guys, get serious - this is the Cheese-powered, spacegoing airliner told of by Harry Harrison in his book 'Star Smashers of the Galaxy Rangers' back in 1973!

Coat

Who was the photographer?

Glenn Miller?

Thumb Up

so who was first on the moon?

Brilliant article, however, it seems to deepen the mystery. Who was first on the Moon? Was it Neil and co? Were all the others caught in a time warp, or was the pizza factory there first?

Pizza with green cheese topping, must get me some of that.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/Design/graphics/icons/comment/thumb_up_32.png

Lunar Conspiracy?

Whether this pic is a conspiracy or not I don't know. What surprised me when I went to the Nasa site to see it first hand was the hole where the Upper Lem engine bell sat appears to be round. I have seen a lunar module lower housing first hand from below with the upper engine bell missing and I can tell you, the hole is square,( and it is square in all of the engineering diagrams I have seen), and larger than the hole in the picture appears to be. Also parts of the picture appear to have the upper Lem portion there and the hole appears to be the size of the hole where the upper Lem joins the CM. This would not be possible since the astronaults flew that part back from the lunar surface. Is it an optical illusion? Could be. The pics are still so bad who can really tell. I never believed the lunar conspiracy theories but I know the lower Lem portion has a square hole, not round, where the upper Lem engine bell sat down inside the lower portion, and should appear larger.

Anonymous Coward

I'll just leave this here...

http://www.stuffucanuse.com/fake_moon_landings/moon_landings.htm

Bronze badge

Obviously fake

Where's Harold Holt?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Holt

Anonymous Coward

One Question Left.

I consider myself an armchair expert in so-called "conspiracy theories" and other such social folk-lore. Sometimes, I find the evidence interesting or compelling, other times it's clearly complete nonsense. Either way, I like to believe I investigate with an open mind and rationalism.

My personal theory on the moon-landings is that we did indeed go there (after all, one of the measurements of time that we use internationally now involves bouncing a laser off a mirror that was left there by the Apollo missions!), but that several photos/videos were created "artificially"afterwards or dring the mission for propaganda purposes; bear in mind why the missions were so important at the time!

These pictures just about put all of the "we never went at all" theories to bed once and for all, I think...

Except for one remaining question, which perhaps someone here can finally resolve for me.

Take some measurements of astronaut next to lunar lander. Measure the height and width of the backpack they wear. Compare to dimensions of lander hatch.

How did they get in and out?

How did they get in and out?

Um; very, very carefully?

"Armstrong initially had some difficulties squeezing through the hatch with his Portable Life Support System (PLSS). According to veteran moon-walker John Young, a redesign of the LM to incorporate a smaller hatch had not been followed by a redesign of the PLSS backpack, so some of the highest heart rates recorded from Apollo astronauts occurred during LM egress and ingress."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_11#Lunar_surface_operations

There's more than you ever wanted to know about PLSS and LM hatch dimensions here:

http://www.xmission.com/~jwindley/lmdoors.html

Anyway, as any fule kno, the main problem with countering the Moon Landing Conspiracy theories is that by now the Clangers will have turned everything left behind into useful houeshold items, thus rendering verification impossible...

Thumb Up

Conspiracy or cock-up?

I enjoy the X-Files. Really I do.

But the US can't keep a break-in at the White House secret, they can't keep an intern visiting the President for a drink of milk (ahem!) secret.

It's extremely unlikely then that multiple trips to the moon could be kept secret.

And who left those mirrors there on the surface that can be viewed from earth - if you have a big enough telescope?

Was that the Pixies or was it David Icke?

I think we should be told.

Happy

I do love you guys.

Sooo much.

Joke

Don't see Jimmy Hoffa in that photo.

Not sure it's authentic without him there.

Already been done.

Sunday Sport, April 24, 1988.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62440303@N04/5683785190/

What a mendacious outrage!

Shame on you, El Reg, for wasting our time with what is a patently-obvious hoax. Were this authentic, we would see, in addition to Marcus Crassus' legions, the hapless 9th Legion. Your purported, obviously-manipulated, "photo" begs the question: where the deuce is Channing Tatum?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.