back to article NASA releases stunning new moon-landing snaps

NASA has released a series of photos of Apollo moon-landing sites that are dramatically improved over previous photos taken as recently as 2009. The photos were taken by NASA's Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (LRO), which was launched on June 18, 2009 aboard a United Launch Alliance Atlas V rocket, along with the Lunar Crater …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Bill B

Apollo 18

Where are the shots of the Apollo 18 landing? Or the Russian one given it was within Lunar Rover driving distance?

I suspect a cover up.

2. Ray 8
    Alien

mmmm

Interesting to note that both old and new pictures were taken from from the same position and angle.

1. lpopman
      Headmaster

titular blurtings

You do realise how precisely they can position the bird?

2. Peter Reid

Re: hmmmm

Not really: superimpose the old and new images and there's a slight variation: enough to suggest (along with the different sun-angle) that they're different photographs...

3. MaXimaN
    Joke

MItchell & Webb summed the conspiracy up pretty well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6MOnehCOUw

4. Beachrider

Why are historical 'deniers' given so much credibility?

Moon mission deniers have a similar effect as other historical deniers. We should use the effect to channel next steps, not simply hold an argument clinic with them every time they dust off this approach.

I think that the Shuttle was exactly the WRONG thing to do after Apollo. Hopefully the dual development of commercial LEO with much-too-long-deferred NASA deepspace tech is a hopeful trend for the future.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

AC 8.29

You would hope. #

Posted Wednesday 7th September 2011 08:29 GMT

'You would hope that this would shut up the conspiricy nuts, but it wont.

Anything that disagrees with their world view is part of the conspiricy.

sad really.'

A pathetic trolling attempt.

Is anyone allowed to disagree with your world view I wonder?

6. matt e
    FAIL

sunlit side?

"Without changing the average altitude, we made the orbit more elliptical, so the lowest part of the orbit is on the sunlit side of the Moon," said deputy LRO project scientist John Keller.

Surely a "scientist" working at NASA should know that all of the moon is lit by the sun?

7. Stuart Halliday
    WTF?

"Clearly shows...."

Eh?

Just looks like smudges and blobs. How can they identify anything?

8. Beachrider

@matt One always wants the perigee with good lighting...

I am not sure about Keller's reference, but Galileo had a similar objective. Its elliptical orbit was rated to have its closest point when sunlight was greatest. That would give you close-up shots all over the moon, not shots of only one area on the moon. This probe isn't just-doing Apollo landing shots, it is surveying the whole lunar surface...

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like