back to article Four months' porridge for 20-minute Facebook riot page

A 21-year-old man has been sentenced to four months in jail for a brief riot-supporting post on Facebook. David Glyn Jones, Bangor, posted "Let's start Bangor riots", then removed it 20 minutes later. But the post was seen by a woman who used to work with Jones and she reported it to the police, the Beeb reports. His …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. CmdrX3
    Big Brother

A little extreme I think

I think some peoples emotions over the riots may be clouding their judgement somewhat. While I have no sympathy for the guy that actually attempted to get a riot going, and actually turned up to proceed on one, I the case in this article is a bit OTT

"Facebook, Twitter and RIM have been called to meet the Home Secretary on Thursday to discuss issues around the disturbances and Cameron's apparent desire to get such networks switched off as he or subsequent Prime Ministers may order."

This is a bit of a slippery slope, and not one I think I would want to be letting our politicians go down.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Headmaster

Inconsistency is the mother of parliaments

It's a pity that all the "honorable" members of parliament who were caught fiddling their expenses were not brought before these judges who are imposing prison sentences on these kids. If they were, they shouldn't have been able to wriggle out of prison sentences that should have been, in proportion, about 20 years each. No doubt some of those jailed rioters said sorry and offered to hand the stolen stuff back, which should also have meant many MPs could not have used that get-out either.

Of course, it would never happen, even if we could arrange the MPs to be tried by the same judges. Thus, we can see why people say the establishment in the UK is corrupt and rotten to the core.

3. Bernard M. Orwell
    Big Brother

Hidden Agenda?

Is it not possible that the "clampdown" on social media post riots is actually nothing to do with the riots, other than using it as a fine excuse to advance a political agenda?

We've heard Cameron & cronies spout loudly on the subjects of "controlling social media" and "not letting SILLY human rights get in the way of JUSTICE.".

I see social engineering going on here and it bespeaks an agenda of control, or, at the very least, a fine and dandy excuse for continuing with the IMP program at GCHQ.

Again, our freedoms are being chipped away at and the populist voice of the nation is backing it with tacit agreement as they express their knee-jerk reactions.

4. Malcolm 2
    Unhappy

Something's wrong here

When someone making a stupid post on Facebook gets 4 moths in jail whereas drunk drivers that cause accidents which result in injury to people and damage to property get a paltry fine, a driving ban and maybe, if she/he is unlucky, a suspended sentance.

5. Eden

Seriously?

Wow well on my history I posted at one point that I had a really *shit* day at work, lets go looting.

This was a joke based on my previous dozen posts were about how angry I was about the looters actions and how they felt entitled and right to do this for the dumbest of reasons.

Should I go spend 4 months in jail, loose my job my home and destroy my familly as sole bread winner for a bad joke? ffs perspective people.....

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like