Feeds

back to article Ultra-cheap HP TouchPads to hit UK at 6pm

In the wake of HP's decision to axe the WebOS platform, the price of the HP TouchPad has been falling quicker than Cristiano Ronaldo in the opposition's penalty box. The $99 offer which has seen hordes of people lapping up the slate Stateside, is about to be replicated in Blighty, with Dixons announcing dramatic price reductions …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Bronze badge

All gone?

Looks like I missed out by seconds, it showed up at £115 but as soon as clicked on the link they were all gone and the price was back > £400

Shame the 16GB model would have been ideal as a living room, instant on, web machine and £89 would be about the right price.

FAIL

Did they have more than just 1 in stock ?

Big joke, at £89 it's worth a punt, however every one else seemed to think so. Managed to get one in my basket and it stayed there right until I went to pay for it, then it vanished.

Does feel like they only had a few and this was a con to just get more punters through the website. Poor till system as well if it doesn't put a temporary reserve your chosen item(s) so you can actually complete the purchase.

Flame

Out of stock already?

At £89 I'd buy any piece of shit fondleslab. I've used one of these at work and I know they can at least do the basics. Sod the fact they don't have any apps to play with! Let the fire-sale commence!!!

Oh bugger...the 16GB version has already disappeared from the store and the 32GB version is showing as not available. Fabulous :(

Android or Meego

At that price for the hardware alone it would be worth purchasing one as although WebOS has no future I am sure someone will work out how to root them and install Android or Meego or some other linux on there. And even with WebOS Its got to be better than the £99 Android tablets that you get from china

Silver badge
FAIL

no stock

Anywhere near me. The guys in my local PCWorld were laughing their heads off at lunchtime. They had zero stock since the middle of last week.

Anonymous Coward

Price

At that price I'd buy one. Well I would if Dixon's site could cope with demand - crashed just before payment for a 16GB one, now says 32GB out of stock.

I don't see what sort of future it needs - the internet isn't going anywhere, it can connect to that until it wears out. Useful lifespan will be the same as any other tablet device and the hefty price reduction makes it the best value product at the moment.

Seems to be sold out

Just managed to get on the site at 18:10, clicked the 16gb model and that just shot me back to the main menu, navigated back to the 32gb version, the site was like swimming through treacle, and was offered some 7" tat from Advent at £129.99 instead...

FAIL

Loss-leader

Someone more savvy than the CEO of HP would have done this as a market-spoiling loss-leader: dump stuff that you're generally unhappy with, retreat, come back in a while with a better offering when everyone is looking to upgrade. Or just stiff the punters on the apps and accessories - it's not as if HP don't know how to do that.

But the CEO will be sticking to his guns. Maybe he'll demand the offer pulled within minutes in order to have a self-fulfilling prophecy of failure: "We couldn't sell any even at reduced price!"

Actually, on second thoughts, that's how Nokia would pull this particular stunt.

Anonymous Coward

DDos?

Wow, looks like they weren't expecting that load. Nor do they seem to have any to sell.

Unhappy

no shock...

Sold out before I could complete checkout.

Silver badge

Wow???

>A 16GB HP Touchpad will soon set punters back £89, down from £350, while a 32GB model will cost £115, down from £430. Wow

And I'd bet they won't be losing money at those prices.

Nope

HP are taking a heavy loss to get out of the market here

http://www.reghardware.com/2011/07/07/hp_touchpad_vs_apple_ipad_2/

Silver badge

@David Neil

It's a good job I don't gamble, but hey, if they can charge double to make a profit they can still sell twice as many at half cost than they've already sold and they will break even. I suspect they'll be selling many more at the lower price but it won't be so catastrophic for them once the accountants have finished.

FAIL

Seriously!

I had one in the shopping cart, it fell over on the payment page, didn't take payment, when I refreshed, it said it was out of stock on a terribly formatted page. DSGi = Feckin' useless.

Silver badge

Cheap toy?

Cheap toy for kids, good for in car use.

Play with ubuntu on it

Etc etc etc.

Keeps them off my iPad

Not Sorry for HP

I was an early adopter of HP tech. The 9826 was possibly the best computer I've ever used. My HP11c calculator, which I bought about 200 years ago, is still going strong and is probably the best engineering calculator ever made. A few years ago I bought an HP laptop and a HP printer and after this experience the only thing made by HP that I'd ever consider buying would be a replacement for the 11c should it get run over by a tank and come off worse (pretty unlikely, I know). Good to see them reaping the benefits of forgetting that it's what customers think that matters.

Anonymous Coward

Android soon ?

http://hackaday.com/2011/08/22/bounty-for-an-hp-touchpad-android-port/

Now *that* would be worth shelling out £89 for - if Android can be made to run on the device, successfully, then WOW.

Someone wants them

Out of stock everywhere near me (Cheltenham).

For £90 it would be a good tool for casual browsing

I fear

That HP are not long for this world. I wonder how cheaply they will sell off Autonomy in a couple of years after deciding they are actually a hardware company.

All gone already!

Can't find one anywhere!

Anyone want to sell me one :)

Paris Hilton

now what about the Pre?

I really don't need the fondleslab but would be happy to pick up the Pre 3 … at €99.

Sold out...

I wanted to nab one for my girlfriend to stop her hogging the iPad. She only uses it for Internet and maps, so this would've been fine.

Alert

Reserved one ...

Although the chances of it actually being there when I go and pick it up tomorrow 10am seems about 50/50.

Unhappy

Re: Reserved

As predicted, my "reserved" HP Touchpad mysteriously disappeared from the system when I got to the store this morning.

A rush of Currys employees flogging Touchpads on ebay in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...

Me too

In Huddersfield this morning. Waited an hour for it to open and was told they'd got my reservation and I would be getting one. When I got in the store I was told they had no record of it on the system.

Devil

Lawsuits?? Class action?!?!?

Okey dokey, as per guy above I reserved one -16GB- yesterday evening at the Bedford PCWorld 32GB was showing out of stock but 16 showed as available and successfully completed. Confirmation E-mail also received within ten minutes.

Went to the store at 9:15am to be informed it was sold out just right before a guy showed up with notices for hanging on the door! I received the usual attempt at blame transferal with the business manager saying he'd tried calling me and had left a message. Logically enough I'd put my home number into the ONE SINGLE mandatory phone number field,which the manager latched onto criticizing the lack of a mobile number.

Turns out they'd only bothered calling at 8:30 am, when I was out progressing toward PCWorld via gym and Costa. I didn't receive until just now. Even then the message only said it was about my order, not stating anything about lack of availability! Big FAIL on so many counts.

I calmly (no really) addressed all these issue with the two in-store managers explaining my wish to escalate until a satisfactory, touchpad possession, conclusion. All contact details exchanged ( wouldya believe they claimed my E-mail, submitted on same form as phone number and actually checked as still only showing positive order confirmation five mins before proceeding to store, wasn't available to the store, due to some online business separate crap!) All to gain some flannel that there is a further stock shipment due and I only had one guy in front of me!?

Long story just to conclude that there must be a dropped legal ball on their part and would love to know of such ramifications that may apply. I do not recall 'visible' small print or any check boxes / notifications that "reserved" only applied to your new random lottery ticket for the product you'd jumped through hoops for!

Cheers Stuart

FAIL

Turn off logging

Apparently HP ship Touchpad with ridiculous amounts of logging enabled. Disabling some of that gives significant speed-up. I was hoping to get one for my mother-in-law for gmail and music, nothing a full iOS4 gadget is required for.

Hopefully the UK retailers and HP UK are better prepared than the Laurel and Hardy act performed by HP US, HP Canada, Best Buy et al.

Not available anymore...

Dixons site suffered a slow and painful death. Was in the process of ordering one of these and couldn't go any further. Looks like they've removed the product all together now.

Will have to camp outside my local dixons tonight to see if I can get one that way ;)

jai
Silver badge

sold out

so seems the ploy worked, i couldn't find any available on their site now.

i was almost tempted too, but then, there's a very good reason why they're discounting the price so much, so probably a good thing other people got there first before i came to my senses and realised that even at that price, it's a long way from a bargain

Bronze badge
FAIL

Looked at the UK HP site...

... and the prices are still up at the pre-drop levels.

To be honest, they're so incompetent they deserve to go under, and they will...

Thumb Down

Completely GONE

I hope they slash the price again. Several shops still have stock but at full price. GO ON HP GIVE US ANOTHER CHANCE

CPW

Carphone warehouse site went down too, it was just showing a maintenance message when I clicked on the link, couldnt back to the front page either.

Anonymous Coward

Tesco out of stock

Despite still being at full price. I smell artificial scarcity.

Silver badge
Mushroom

I suspect...

...foul play. The Touchpad was on the Dixons site at full price just before 1800, at 1800 *to the second* it went unavailable.

I doubt it ever went on sale in the UK at this price and that the whole exercise was just a PR stunt by DSGi to try and save their sorry asses.

Thumb Up

typing this

on my £115 32gb touchpad. Got it from the bristol best buy store. I popped in on my way home from work, and it was full price, but they let me reserve one to buy if the price did indeed drop. It dropped, and they kept their word!

Silver badge
Unhappy

Smug git

See title.

(yes, I am jealous)

Mushroom

They were all sold out LONG before the DSG price drop

DSG offer to price match up to 7 days after sale, so all those that were aware of this pricing policy piled in hours before the price actually dropped, and claimed a partial refund afterwards.

This meant that there was *never* any stock available at Dixons/PC World/Currys (all the same from an online perspective) once the price drop became effective on the online web sites - it had all been sold hours earlier at full price.

DSG scammed a vast number of people by leading them to believe they had a chance of buying a cheap Touchpad online after the price had dropped... they knew savvy buyers were snatching up all the available stock and that there would be none left by the time the price was reduced - one of their managers was tweeting all afternoon about the impending drop, building up interest in something that would DSG knew would be a major fail.

My advice now would be to update your Dixons, PCWorld and/or Currys online account with fictitious name, address, date of birth, and telephone number as you're not likely to need it again, and before you fall victim to identity fraud (as you surely will knowing - from bitter experience - DSG's lax approach to online security and apparent total ignorance of online fraud).

Anonymous Coward

HP plot

The way the web shops were falling over handling the firesale orders made me realise the real HP strategy: this was all meant to push web companies into buy more servers... and guess who makes a lot of servers?

I can see the HP salesmen already at the door of DSG, Carphone Warehouse, etc bright and early tomorrow morning with their quotes and shiny brochures.

Silver badge

Hmmm...

How many did they actually have? It does strike me rather odd that all the companies that discounted them have sold them all within such a short space of time... Apart from us nerds on here (and similar sites), who knew, and who would want one?

Bet they find a few more in the next couple of days, but they'll cost more.

Either that or their websites have a built in "weird sales pattern detected, shutdown" protection to cover them if somebody accidentally enters and incorrect price.

Yes, yes, I know, I have a suspicious mind!

Thumb Down

No price drop on Amazon...

...as at 6.15 this morning.

the drop already happened

i managed to order some at midnight last night.

sorry dude. :(

Coat

no luck at comet or pissy world

i tried to get a cheap touchpad from the local branches of comet and pissy world. but I couldn't get into the shops for the hordes of people buying symbian handsets.

Happy

Still some in France

If anyone's interested, Darty seem to have at least the 32Gb model available for €129:

http://www.darty.com/nav/achat/informatique/tablette_tactile/tablette_tactile/marque__tablette_tactile_hp.html

and may also still have 16Gb models at €99:

http://www.darty.com/nav/achat/informatique/portables/tablette/hp_touch_pad_16_gb.pl

Now all gone

so never even got a chance to see what the postage would have been.

Bronze badge
Linux

Finally... they find the correct price point...

around £100 and people will buy it...

I'm on the hunt for one tonight and will be putting Linux on it...

i think i got one

amazon had them the 16gb at £89 early this morning (12.15am) , they showed as temp out of stock, but allowed me to buy it. its now showing as not yet dispatched. so fingers crossed.

quite looking forward to it. at £89 its a steal. even if android never turns up, webos seems like a competant system for surfing, iplayer and generall fondle tom foolerly.

"its now showing as not yet dispatched. so fingers crossed."

me too.

Thumb Up

I got 2 32gig touchpads. One for me, one for the parents

Bought them off PC world at 09h30 this monrning. Have the confirmation email, so now lets see if they actually arrive...

Pirate

"on the hunt for one tonight "

The cheaper ones seem to be going for at least £150 at the Sunday market/eBay. But you knew that anyway.

Unhappy

Ah, consumerism

People are worried about rising costs in fuel and food, the security of their job. But throw a discontinued piece of tech at them with a huge discount that they probably don't want or need and they can't wait to empty their wallets.

This topic is closed for new posts.