Feeds

back to article Murdoch muscles BBC out of Formula One driving seat

BSkyB has snatched the full Formula 1 broadcasting rights from the BBC, which had been the exclusive channel showing the live races since 2009. It's a deal sure to upset fans of the Beeb's recent slick coverage of F1, which has won bumper TV ratings. BSkyB will – from the start of the 2012 motor-racing season – broadcast every …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

FAIL

Idiots

The F1 coverage has been excellent. Now it will be a bit shit. Sky for Footy, BBC for F1.

Silver badge

Opportunities

If Sky have any sense at all, they will do a deal with the BBC that the current F1 team will continue to provide the commentary, coverage and comment, and the only thing Sky will provide is the broadcast medium.

Over 40 countries currently take the BBC feed as their licensed coverage - don't fix something that isn't broken!!!!

Can you see Jeff Sterling doing F1... I think not.

Lee McKenzie - fwhoar :)

Joke

New presenters for Sky F1 coverage confirmed.

Jedward...

Can't wait....

Seriously, what the fuck, F1 is dead in the UK now. Thanks Bernie you greedy fuck.

Silver badge
Boffin

@Velv

"Over 40 countries currently take the BBC feed as their licensed coverage - don't fix something that isn't broken!!!!"

Which countries are these? The "feed" is generally created by FOM and is the same the world over - the BBC get the same feed as everyone else.

Boffin

@Annihilator

No, FOM feed is pictures and sound with no commentary. Commentary and extra shots are added by the BBC and this combined feed is taken by a number of countries. MB mentions Australia as one recipient at times, so I assume this is "One HD"

Facepalm

bah

Such a shame; the BBC's coverage over the last two years at least has been absolutely fantastic.

It's going to be very difficult to keep that going. I'm certain that Sky Sports won't be able to generate the same feeling.

I'll be watching on BBC, and I guess i'll have to find a motorsports-friendly pub somewhere that my friends and I can adopt on Sky-only weekends.

Silver badge

not a good plan

dont support sky

and dont support dipshit landlords who support sky

WTF?

Can we now have an evil Murdoch logo, please?

Seriously, this is absolutely bloody dire news and I can only assume that this inane Slater woman doesn't actually like sport (or certainly F1) that much. "Delighted" to lose half the rights? The stupid, smug, self-satisfied cow. "delivered significant savings"? Yes, by screwing the audience.

Silver badge
Thumb Down

Eh?

What does 'evil Murdoch' have to do with it? I can't have been the driving force behind this. It must have been the existing rights holders (the BBC) looking for a way to get out. I doubt if any of the Murdochs were even personally involved. They employ a lot of staff for dealing with things like broadcast rights.

It may even be that without 'evil Murdoch' we'd have nothing. Maybe FOM would just have given up providing coverage to the UK.

Silver badge
Devil

What does 'evil Murdoch' have to do with it?

Lets see, over the past 4 months or so the Murdoch press has been claiming that F1 is too expensive for the BBC, and that it should go in total to Sky.

Rob
Bronze badge

Bad choice...

... and the reason for the significant savings was to keep the other crap channels like BBC 3 and BBC 4 alive with medicore content.

Stop

Didn't the Director General himself say that...

...it was possible a channel could be axed? I don't have freeview yet (switchover next week will force me to sort an aerial out) but BBC3 is good for some random and repeated stuff I gather, whereas noone has any praise or dislike for 4. So it can go.

Silver badge
Thumb Down

So?

The press are just the press. They don't make policy.

All you're pointing out is that in this case they appear to have accurately described the situation and correctly predicted the outcome. Are you saying that Mr. Murdoch is evil because his newspapers print factually accurate and useful information?

Get a grip, son.

WTF?

Hey, leave BBC4 alone - it's great

@David Perry 2 said "noone has any praise or dislike for 4. So it can go."

Well, maybe not in your experience, but BBC4 is easily the best channel the BBC produce. Intelligent, thoughtful programmes that would never be made by the likes of Sky. It's *exactly* what the BBC should be doing. Better than they get rid of sport, soaps and the other mindless, mass-market crap that Murdoch is happy to churn out before they ditch any actually decent TV.

WTF?

BBC4? Crap?

Are you mad?

BBC4 is one of the last bastions of decent informative and intelligent broadcasting.

It's my favourite channel and I'm far from stupid.

Trollface

Re "I doubt if any of the Murdochs were even personally involved"

Exactly!

It would have been the guy that runs Sky that dealt with all of this, what's his name again? James something iirc

Meh

BBC4

BBC4 often has themed music nights on Fridays. I have no interest in F1, but accept that others do. The BBC is not the bad guy in this, even at a time of trouble for Murdoch's business, the BBC bashing continues. If you don't want Sky to take over all sport, then refuse to pay the tax-avoiding scumbag.

Flame

Sky? Mass-market Crap?

Sky may produce some mass market crap but for a serious period of time now they have been one of the biggest funders of arts in the UK.

Obviously the only reason for this is that Sky are completely evil and are only interested in the arts to try and get more educated, middle class subscribers

Bronze badge
FAIL

Actually Andrue.....

....I think you'll find that much of the thrust of the News International hacking investigation is that Murdoch uses his illegally-gained knowledge of people's private lives and conversations to push policy in the direction he wants it to go.

Let's hope he has finally got his comeuppance, as this will get worse as only the top layer of scum on the cesspit has yet been drained.

As for F1 effectively leaving the Beeb, well as an F1 fan of only 40 years standing, I've this morning binned all of my F1-related online and magazine subscriptions and will no longer be bothering with F1 at all as if it's been tainted by Sky and Murdoch then the sport has a death wish.

Bronze badge

Really?

BBC4 is a massive drain on the "Unique way the BBC is funded" and for what? Take for instance the week of the Canadian GP: The F1 race (alone) pulled 6.6m viewers, the ENTIRE TOP 10 of BBC4s programmes for that same week pulled in 3.2m viewers! BBC4s annual budget is £55.3m and their average weekly viewing figure is around 8m people.

And last time I skipped past BBC4 some dreary bloke was talking about a road in the middle of no-where having "lost its confidence" and how it unceremoniously ends before its final destination because another road merges with it. Okay, I admit I watched a few minutes of it but only to make sure I wasn't imagining such tripe having been "Uniquely funded"!

Holmes

To all those suggesting BBC4 should be axed

Ah yes, the old "I don't watch it, so why should anyone else want to?" agument being trotted out I see. We as a nation are privileged to have a broadcaster that is bound by its charter to produce programming that doesn't neccessarily appeal to the lowest common denominator. There's a significant portion of the population that isn't interested in soaps, imported US sitcoms, and the umpteeth edition of Britains Got Talent!

Besides, 8m people is a pretty good viewing figure for £55m when you consider that BBC1 has a budget of £1.2 BILLION for 47m weekly viewers on average, ITV1 £850m for 38m viewers and channel 4 £600m for 35m viewers.

8 million entertained boffins and nerds for £55 million quid. I say that's a bargain.

Pirate

Its for profit innit

Do we pay the BBC a licence fee without complaint and get excellent coverage like current F1 or do we pay to Murdochs profit making machine where all the money is syphoned off to the greedy shareholder.

To me it is a no brainer, I would prefer unbiased reporting and scheduling with the BBC any day.

Of course you could listen to the Governments spin and cause us to question the BBC while allowing at the same time the Government friend Murdoch to benefit with his plans.

FAIL

eh?

"all the action continues to be available to licence-fee payers"

errr...... half of the action dear.....

Meh

You have watched an F1 race, right?

A few laps of exciting driving, plus another 30-40 of them going round, and round, and round, and round.... :-(

Silver badge

why all the downvotes?

I've been watching for 40 years and for the last 20 the previous commentard is about right - 10 minutes of intense excitment in about 2 hours of endless round and round - thats why the commentary team are vital.

Terminator

I'm glad I fell out of love with F1 many years ago.

F1 is one of the few sports that Britain are actually good at and now it's been taken away from much of the general public by greedy capitalists. Shame on you Ecclestone.

FAIL

Did you miss that.

F1 will be awful to watch on sky.

How it will happen.

What was that Hamilton and Vettel battling out in to the last corner with 3 laps to go.

Cut to the 50th commercial break of tosh.

Welcome back with a clip of a red bull and Mclaren being lifted out of a gravel trap.

Back to the dark days of ITV F1 coverage.

Silver badge
Thumb Down

No adverts

Sky didn't interrupt with advertising breaks last time they carried F1. Admittedly that was pure 'pay per race' so not quite the same thing. Do football matches get interrupted on Sky Sports? Does anything? I don't subscribe to Sky Sports so wouldn't know but I'd /assume/ that events are shown uninterrupted unless there's a genuine break eg;half-time.

Apparently no ads

They have said on their website:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,19501_7066689,00.html

that there will be no ad breaks. Still, doubt the coverage will be as good as the beeb though.

Silver badge

thing is...

footbalists work for 45 minutes, then take a breater (cant have the poor dears getting out of puff) then do another 45 minutes stint.

F1 is 2 hours in which mostly nothing much happens, but sometimes incredibly exciting stuff happens, and no one can predict when.

which buggers up the advertising schedule

Thanks a lot !

I for one dont have Sky and refuse to pay to have it . So much for the beebs pledge to keep F1 accessible to everyone .

FAIL

Disaster

What an absolute pigging disaster for British F1 fans.

I refuse to pay for Sky, let alone shelling out for Sky Sports as well. Murdoch can go swivel. To watch this on Sky, will cost £60 a month. 2nd option is something like BT Vision or TopUp TV, BT I think are currently selling Sky Sports 1 & 2 channels on Freeview at a loss, total will be around £20 a month.

BBC F1 coverage has been fantastic, the presenting and commentary team have matured well together over the last couple of years.

I really hope this agreement is either revised or dropped altogether :(

Anonymous Coward

"I refuse to pay for Sky"

Get over yourself. If you like F1 as much as you make out, you'll pay for it.

You could always club together and outbid Murdoch next time the rights come up.

"I refuse to pay for Sky"

Your missing the point sky want 30-40 quid for the sport 1 and 2 package then your are getting an inferior experience with adverts and probably some bargain basement presenters who are doing it.

Silver badge
Mushroom

Stop ranting

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/93461

Unhappy

for one year only

So next year is safe, bu not teh tear after. and then only so long as you only watch the race, there won't be any build up just adverts,

Bronze badge
Thumb Down

Well, well....

....how predictably anonymous, coward.

Grow a pair of balls and post as yourself.

Those of us that love F1 know exactly how this is going to pan out, it isn't going to be pleasant.

Anonymous Coward

Seriously?

You think I love any sport enough to hand Murdoch £300 a year, and have it cut with commercials?

I'm passionate about F1, but not passionate enough to fund that scum-bucket.

Anonymous Coward

Google cardsharing

..I'll say no more!

FAIL

Total disaster

What does Bernie think he's playing at? He may want to get into bed with the Murdochs but this is sucidal for the sponsers.

Or COULD be if enough people kick up a stink to them - and FOTA

FOTA already asking questions (but could be a smokescreen) and Brundle has tweeted he is "not inpressed". Does this mean he won't jump ship?

Let's see how committed he is, shall we?

Cash strapped BBC?!

My arse are they cash strapped, maybe if they didn't insist on employing the cretins responsible for BBC 3's output they could put the savings into Formula 1 coverage.

Does anyone know if there other ways of watching the coverage? Some sort of web cast?

Anonymous Coward

Webcast

cough - SopCast - cough

Thumb Down

Translation...

"I'm not interested in anyone else's tastes, just so long as can watch cars going fast".

Not so

I didn't even imply that, I haven't suggested cutting all sorts of things I don't watch like Eastenders, Antique Master* or One of the infinite cookery programs they put out. What I'm suggesting is the home of Two Pints of Lager should stop pissing money up the wall by producing inane crap. It's not as if they couldn't move the few decent things BBC3 shows on to 2 or 4 and save money, hell if you insist I'll buy box sets of Family Guy and they can save money there as well.

According to the figures recently put out BBC3 costs £115 million a year to run which considering that it only broadcasts half the day and is mostly repeats seems a bit of a waste...

*I actually thought this was a spoof when I heard it being trailed, but apparently not.

Anonymous Coward

Don't forget

What about the epic waste of money moving to Manchester, and kicking IT partners out of a project that was about to deliver savings, only to take it all in house and start from scratch, saving nothing and costing 10s of millions of licence payers money. I wish the pay tv lot did a non BBC version so I could save my 150 sheets and spend it on pay per view.

WTF?

No need to pay Murdoch a penny.

There'll be plenty of links to live feeds from around the world, just need to tune into Radio 5Live for some halfway decent and hopefully English commentary.

WTF?

Formual 0.5

Total and utter bollox. What kind of a nonsense deal is this? Ok, so BBC might have British and Monaco GP secured but it's just such utter shite that I honestly don't have an emoticon or indeed the vocabulary to express myself....

Thin end of the wedge.. once Sky is in, it'll never EVER back out. Enjoy this season people for we are about to witness the last true great free-to-air TV sporting event of our generation. Such a sad day.

Unhappy

This news really saddens me

BBC had the best coverage of F1. They put a lot of effort into it, put a great team together, and delivered.

I love that sport. I love doing the 2 hours of maths, watching the live timings PIP with the action, watching the cars, the noise, the constant squabblings between team members and teams themselves.

I love the glitz and glamour of it. The technology of it. The people who present it, the drivers, the teams.

And now I have a choice. The "highlights" and half the full races, or buy a SKY package.

Thank you BBC and Bernie, for ruining my weekends, my hobby, and my sport. Thank you very much.

Mushroom

Thanks Anutie

Many Thanks for your sickening betrayal of those responsible for your all-time high ratings and to the FIA: do expect your ratings to plummet, F1 still isn't so popular that casual fans are going to pay for Sky to see it, just the dedicated ones and maybe not all of them.

Are British sports fans ever going to be able to watch their sportsmen and women for free again (and I'm talking all sports here, not just F1), F1 covereage is virtually all the TV I watch.

Devil

£400 per annum...

So £400 per year to the morally bankrupt News International for nothing more than the F1, or pop down to Maplin, spend £40 on a b-grade FTA satellite system to watch RTL and listen to the excellent five live commentary...

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.