back to article Kit steals Mac login passwords through FireWire port

A California software maker has released a program that quickly recovers login passwords from Macs, even when running Apple's completely overhauled OS X Lion, that have been locked, put into sleep mode, or have FileVault disk encryption turned on. Passware Kit Forensic v11 works by capturing a Mac's computer memory over …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Mike G
      Facepalm

apple tinted visor

It's also a bit tiring how apple fanbois cry every time apple get criticised

1. Anonymous Coward
        Meh

@Mike G

Well just imagine how empty your life would be if you didn't have the excitement of mocking the Apple crowd in public forums, eh?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Sources

At least that article's sources don't have a vested interest in selling you their $995 product. Not sure which ones are better.

It's well known that even previous versions of OSX disable Firewire DMA if you set a Open Firmware password, so it's perfectly acceptable to think that Apple went further in Lion and and does the same when the system is in sleep or waiting for a password.

Until the original developers publish proof - not just their press release - of their accomplishments no ink should be poured over this matter. Problem is these days any PR piece mentioning Apple will be on main news 1 hour later, without any proper critical evaluation.

I think anyone should stand up against potential false advertising and smearing others' efforts, whatever the operating system.

1. sabroni Silver badge

how to stand up

the problem I have with what your saying is the article you linked to that defends Apple is pure speculation. In your comment you say "it's perfectly acceptable to think that Apple went further with Lion". It is, but that means nothing. It's also perfectly acceptable to think that Apple don't give a toss about security, there is some evidence that this is the case.

If this company is wrong and firewire in Lion is more secure then that's a good thing, I'm sure we can both agree on that. But if that's the case then it's Apple's job to make it clear. The fact that you're not pointing me to a clear list of Lion features from Apple makes me doubtful. Don't Apple publish a list of changes when they upgrade the OS? Or are they so ashamed of this gaping security hole in their old products that they don't dare mention it?

1. dssf

Turn OFF the computer?

Well, in doing that, there is no evidence that the hard drive was removed.

Assume you have a GOOD backup battery or battery, and assume the machine/laptop is plugged into AC. If in suspend/hibernate/sleep you can get 24 to 90 hours of battery life if the main power goes away, then, so long as you return before the battery dies, you will know whether or not the machine was power off physically and the possibility the hard drive was deprived of power for its removal for copying/cloning/perusing.

I leave mine suspended or screen lock so that if it IS compromized, the intruder who leaves it behind HAS to know the password and the state of my session (behind a locked screensaver) to restore it without my knowing something happened.

Now, if my ports are compromized, and I am not protecting via the kernel, or not disabling them, that is a separate and still-real issue. Is there an easy script in the security and time-out routine to disable all peripherals ports, even the external keyboard and mouse? Maybe, and I think now I will revisit that and act on it.

And, as for the need to obtain the password, IIRC, that is accomplished feasibly by pointing one or more RF and or microwave antenna at the keyboard in question and at the display to capture the unique RF emissions each key spews into the air. RF/IR air-scanning the LCD or CRT might be able to help pick up reflections off a nearby keyboard's finger-presses. Or, un-masked passwords can be seen right on screen.

When riding the transit, sitting in a coffee shop, and in the company of those I will not know nor trust, I whip out my keyboard-covering oversized sheet of paper and cover my hands.

Another thing people i see on transit doing is working on files with the file path showing up on the titlebar of the app. App developers and marketing departments not considering this need to be SLAPPED for this privacy breach. There are plenty of cases when the user should be given an ability to mask the full file name and the directory the file sits in. Sometimes, I just rename the file and move it to a very base path or in a fake name so that if anyone gleans at what I'm working on and takes to searching on the Internet, they hopefully won't find anything. But, partly that relies on app devs allowing us to mask or hide the name of the app, too, and hide references to the branding so that nosy people cannot go peruse the forums looking for the locale and help/support/suggestion submissions of users in some bid to social engineer a target. But, company marketing will seethe and hiss at providing users a way to mask the branding, and probably sayi users THAT worried need a $50-$80 privacy screen, a lid hood, or a private working area.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like