back to article The Lord of the Rings Trilogy: Blu-ray extended edition

26 Hours of extras, 15 discs, 3 movies, one ring. Finally, the extended Blu-ray version of Peter Jackson’s The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy has been released. Time to finally Orc-up and buy. The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy: Extended Edition Long player: The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy – Extended Edition Like many, I steered clear of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Alien

New keyboard please

You sir are a swine, a swine I say!

Not cutting-room detritus

As I remember, Peter Jackson claimed that the "Special Editions" were the actual movies made, and that due to contract requirements with the studios, they needed to trim them at specific lengths for theatrical release. He specifically said that the additional scenes were not "extra" nor "deleted" scenes, but the actual flow of each scene, completed with the same post production quality as everything else.

-dZ.

Meh

Won't help

Jackson's direction and dialogue will just suck in higher definition.

Bit rates?

Years ago I bought a new DVD player since my bottom shelf brand one had a bit of trouble dealing with the battle of Mordor scene. I'm guessing that wasn't redone to push the bit rates of modern equipment.

WTF?

Why £70 in review when it says £44.99 on the amazon link provided?

see title

FAIL

RTFA

Ever hear of a "suggested retail price"?

"Although ostensibly priced at around £70, you should be able to find it available for £50 or thereabouts."

Thumb Up

Excellent stuff

I picked this up on release day, and having never seen the extended versions before, I didn't feel like any of them dragged on at all, they're just good, long films. The black gate scene made sense this time around.

Trollface

Decisions decisions,...

Already have the extended DVD editions, but would need to get a proper Bluray player, HD-TV and sound system (not the poxy one in my computer). Will wait until I move back to NZ before purcashing (and saves on unzoning the DVD player).

Lived in Wellington while they were filming, one of the girls at work (who was nicknamed "Mimi" cos she was really bad at putting on makeup) said she and Liv Tyler wore the same eye-liner brand, so I has to ask "and what is the American word for trowel?"

Anon cos Sarah B may still be lurking somewhere.

This post has been deleted by a moderator

726 minutes too long

Ok maybe it's because I haven't read the books, maybe it's because I prefer ninja's to homosexual dwarf like people with hairy feet, maybe it's because it never occurred to anyone to fly Frodo on one of those eagle type things over the volcano in the first movie thus negating the need for several hours of Orlando bland, but the whole trilogy was shit.

Controversial opinion perhaps? Do I just “not get it”? Maybe. But having once done a marathon of all three extended editions in a weekend I sincerely wanted to pull my own face off and beat Peter Jackson with it.

Roll on the revisited 3D editions in about four years time.

Facepalm

re: 726 minutes...

Oh yeah, nobody would notice a freaking huge Eagle carrying a hobbit and the source of half of your power (and the single reason why you still live), flying straight towards the only place where it can be destroyed, and take measures to shoot it down on sight.

Specially when you are embodied in a huge flaming eye in a tower next to it. No sir.

This is Captain Obvious, signing off.

Anonymous Coward

Well, actually...

In Jackson's version no one noticed Frodo standing in plain sight in front of a Nazgul holding out the "source of half of your power (and the single reason why you still live)", so I don't imagine that a single eagle would have attracted any attention either.

Maybe someone who could write should have been put in charge of the screenplay, no?

Trollface

Re: Re: Decisions Decisions

I am smart enough to know when I am flogging a dead horse and to give up (the only thing this woman could put on to make her more attractive was Distance, and lots of it).

Anonymous Coward

cost...

I'll wait until they're $10 in the bargain bin around Christmas time (this year or next) since popular movies end up there eventually. I was dumb enough to buy the first on dvd when it came out. As much as I like the series, I did enjoy Kevin Smith's take on the series in 'Clerks II'.

Angel

Cherks II LOTR

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKbyWSwd7hk

Yup - pretty much sums it up.

Thumb Down

Is the plot the same in HD then? i.e....

fight something

run away

fight something

run away

fight something

....and so on, ad nauseam....?

Windows

You all know it's not real, don't you?

Just asking. Some of the comments worry me a little, that's all.

Silver badge

Shhhh..

Some of these people have been known to carry replica weapons you know..

Pirate

I'll wait until the boxset is in the bargain bucket bin, but.....

I prefered the extended editions to the theatricals, they gave more detail & the whole thing flowed much quicker, where as the theatricals dragged. Seems odd though that BD still has to spread the movies over two disc's same as the DVD's.

Anonymous Coward

Surely any additional "in-film" material

will just be more tedious fucking hours of Sam and Frodo in thee mountains with Sam telling Frodo how much he "loves you, Mr. Frodo".

Some of the cinematography was excellent but Peter Jackson's butchering of what was already a pretty badly written (but exceptionally imagined) trilogy just makes me weep for mankind.

Trollface

not usually a fan...

I am not usually a fan of this genre of film but at some point I had to watch it to see what all the hype was about....

Was I disappointed? Initially no... It was a bit of a log winded yarn, with overtones of brokeback! nothing that spoiled the movie. (would frodo and friends sexuality need to be questioned in this move?). I have to say, I did enjoy the whole saga and at the end of each moie ....

BUT...

When you start to reflect on it, there are far too many holes in the plot and a lot of the movie was there for the sake of it being there.... a bit like the long winded descriptive passages in the books that serve no other purpose than to show off your descriptive writing skills. (or lack of).

I did try to read The hobbit once, but when it took 15 pages to describe a room with a trunk in it, going into every tiny detail of the room is not necessary. do I need to know the life story of the ant with the club foot and his suffering as he struggle across the room towards the shelf where you would expect the key for the trunk to be, but was not? do i then need another 1000 words to describe the knot in the wood of the door? not unless its really important to the story and most of it was not..... Room, trunk, no key, lets go find it.....

I do understand the appeal of the whole LOTR/Hobbit saga to some. but I find the appeal of a girlfriend better...

Pint

Actually I don't believe for a moment...

...you tried to read The Hobbit, unless you have the reading ability of a 4 year old. I found it a pleasure to read and an easy read which shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone since it was a children's book afterall.

The middle earth languages were a pain and translations would have been handy because it's otherwise meaningless gibberish.

LotR was a much harder slog to read but also well worth the many hours of exercising my imagination. Some bits didn't really add anything to the story - ol' Tom - but an adventure will have odd little diversions.

@DZ Jay - you never heard that

Jackson has repeatedly said that the THEATRICAL EDITIONS are the definitive and are the films he wanted to make. This is why the extended versions are called EXTENDED VERSIONS and not "DIRECTOR'S CUTS" for example - he made them for the fans.

He considers the theatrical versions to be the "Director's Cut".

Footnote: I too am disappointed that these discs have the films split over two discs. Grrrr....

Some of you are missing the point

Firstly the end of RoTK. One of Tolkien's points is that stories never end, at least not cleanly, people drop in and out of them. One of his other points is that experiences change people, possibly a view he got on the Western Front and the aftermath. Frodo may have succeeded, but there was no 'home fit for heroes' for him, he probably felt a failure and his injuries stopped him having a peaceful life.

The ending WAS cut down (no Scouring of the Shire) but it is essential to the story that Frodo gets some kind of resolution, there is no 'Happy ever after' for him.

As to the Eagles, as emissaries of Manwë ( effectively an Angelic Spirt) such an act would have been counter to a 'non-interference' policy. What the eagles did was close enough

Thumb Down

Pity about the box...

That box looks real nice ... except for that ghastly, completely out-of-place BluRay band on the top. Whey couldn't they have been a little subtler, like they were on the spine? Even the age advisories are eyesores...

Then again, I've always been bitter about BR since they dropped the "e" from "Blue" and haven't used physical media in years. Always seems so ... quaint..

rental

Anyone know when these may be available for rental via love film or brick and mortar stores?

@Saucerhead Tharpe

Beat me to it.

Aragorn is the big hero. He goes through swordfights and all kind of manly stuff, comes out unscathed, gets the girl and the kingdom. Everyone cheers. Yay.

Frodo meantime is the one who actually brings down the bad guys. He plods along through the mud, does his thing, and his reward is the loss of his sanity, exile to obscurity, and the company of wasters back home who can't ever possibly understand what he's been through. As written by a guy who survived the trenches in WWI.

Re the eagles, they *do* interfere. "The Hobbit" has them actively fighting the orcs/goblins, for starters. But the idea is to sneak into Mordor undetected. A mass aerial assault is not quite the idea...

Anonymous Coward

the save a hospital ward edition

If only the LOTR fanbase was big enough to save the UK economy. New imaginative packaging every couple of weeks at £70 a go would surely see us back in the black.

Is the car still there?

FOTR, top right of the screen, just after Sam says to Frodo (or is it the other way round?) that he's never been so far out of The Shire before. Dust cloud and brake lights.

Tom Bombadil is indeed a tedious character*, but the episode with the barrow-wights is how they get the special swords that can kill a fell beast; a bit of a plot hole in the movies, clumsily addressed by Aragorn saying "hey, here are some cool swords I happened to be carrying".

*although Goldberry sounds like a right goer and I don't know why she hangs out with him

Anonymous Coward

@Alexander 3 - The BluRay thing is a slip cover

IIRC when I got ours, that is a slip cover that comes off

Coat

@Graham Bartlett - The Eagles

The Hobbit is a different beast lightly revived to fit LoTR

LoTR could do with a bit of revision according to the Silmarillion, but that is by the by

The Eagles have other reaons for not directly interfering,

1) None of the Wise thougth of that or, if they did, they envisaged it as being a bit obvious

2) The Range of the Eagles is limited. They live in the Mistly mountains and turn up at thwe battle of the Five Armies, the top of Durin's Stair and from their to Rohan

The journey to Mordor is longer and might well be a multi-day or one way journey, requiring a rest, thus making an aerial trip unfeasible

3) The Eagles were already doing other things, seeking information for Gandalf as requested, and they could not contact them

4) They were all on their holidays and had the mobile phone switched off

Thumb Up

Precious

Received mine this morning. Found on Amazon.co.uk for £42, so snapped it up. Now all I need is a Blu Ray player! Was going to wait until next month but I think a trip to Comet/Amazon/Richer Sounds is in order some time later...

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums