back to article Will News of the Screws reappear as Sunday.co.uk?

As the hacking scandal at the News of the World continued to unravel this week, an individual mysteriously registered the domain name sunonsunday.co.uk on 5 July. Two days later, News International said it would shut down the NotW. This Sunday's issue will be the final one, after 168 years of the weekly tabloid. The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Jemma
    FAIL

Royal Commission

AKA "We're kicking this difficult issue into the long grass, and hoping like hell the plebs are as thick as we think they are..."

Seriously, do we really think there needs to be all this government sponsored brouhaha about this?

The behaviour of these people was morally reprehensible from the start, and even that has been compounded by the denials and chronic case of 'not me guv' that has happened since. There appears to be pretty good evidence that the government are involved at some level - not to mention employing this nerk as 'Baldie's' spokesminion.

We dont need anything more than the relevant police investigations, the persons even remotely connected with this jailed and the key thrown away... and if the government has *any* power to break up or force the total closure of Murdockopolis the sooner the better.

The only requirement for involvement by anything with a 'royal' handle on it, is if there is an attempt again to sweep this under the carpet - then the individuals concerned should get off their £32.1million a year behinds, dissolve the government, and make the first order of the legislature to sort out the privacy laws, or else. I venture to suggest that if the Royals do get involved in this and it all goes Blair shaped, then they'll be fighting for their lives.. so all in all a win-win

Theres the other, cheaper, option of course... take all involved out into sherwood forest... GPS tag them... and give Millies sister a light calibre chain gun and a GPS tracker because if they did to my family what they've done to hers... my 'berserk button' would have been pressed so hard it fell out of the dashboard.

1. MarkieMark1
      Holmes

Um

Royal Commissions are in fact the method that frequently leads to legislation, as it's better-considered, more authoritative, usually non-partisan etc; although legislation restricting the freedom of the press is kind of a special case, consider for instance the Royal Commission into Criminal Procedure of 1981 leading to PACE, the Royal Commission into Criminal Justice of 1991 leading to the Criminal Cases Review Commission; hardly toothless delaying tactics

2. Colin Millar
    Big Brother

Is it just me?

Or is Dave looking a bit pale?

Having been pushed into an inquiry and then pushed into starting it before hell freezes over and now saying that BskyB decision will be delayed I think he might be getting a bit worried at how much further Rupe will allow this to run before venting his displeasure in some way.

Big Brother - now outsourced to people who get their kicks rummaging through your underwear

3. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

Just seen this...

...slightly NSFW, but made me smile...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtk3yLVUOKg&feature=player_embedded

4. Martin 47

The title is required, and must contain letters and/or digits.

I see the Daily Star has now been raided, you guys must be getting worried ;-)

5. Andus McCoatover
    Windows

Worth a squint...

https://www.webfusion.co.uk/order/whois.cgi?PHPSESSID=168e4b3890364eb27c6ffd1c1bff8810&domreg=1&configure=Choose%20Account&account=WF-UNLTD-LIN-36M&Next=Next&name=sunonsunday&tld=any&Search=Search

6. TheBully
    Thumb Up

Lord Archer must be pleased :)

He must have a big grin on his face reading about this. :)

7. LPF

Whats hilarious....

Is that the first dodgy investigation happened when which party was in charge?? Labour spent 13 years with their collective heads stucked to the rear end of murdoch and now they are acting as if nothing happend lol.

I wonder who in Number 10 told the Met to go easy on them in the first investigation ?

8. Nimrod
    Meh

Smoke and Mirrors

To be honest this is all smoke and mirrors, politicians and media slurp at the same trough

I commend Manufacturing Consent by Noam Chomsky as an insight into the way politicians, journos, PR and advertisers are all in each others pockets and are all tryngn to con us

9. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

Carpe Diem

The old bill should execute a search warrant at 9am Sunday and seize all the computers. They won't have to worry about ruining the business. The nice by product it'll stop a cynical rebranding they may find evidence too.

10. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Thumb Down

A little note about rupert Murdoch, The Sun and the Times

Some time ago Murdoch gave an interview just prior to a UK general election.

He stated the Times would support whoever they wanted.

He stated he was going to have a meeting with the Sun Political Editor on who *they* would support.

Anyone think it odd the Sun *has* a Political Editor? I don't think the Sunday Sport ever did.

Murdoch has proved highly adept at having his cake, eating it and getting a free 2nd one. He wants all the £1Bn BSkyB revenue *and* something like the £600k an issue of the NoTW advertising revenue.

The answer to the question. Probably.

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Flame

A note on the thumbs down

It's for News International's behavior and in fact the whole of the British press.

Did anyone vote for Rupert Murdoch to have the right to have a *very* substantial say in which UK political leader gets to be Prime Minister through his unjustified cross media control (which they let him have)?

Thought not.

11. Phil A
    Devil

Check the whois again

It's changed and now belongs to NI so I wonder who they strong-armed or bunged...

http://webwhois.nic.uk/cgi-bin/whois.cgi?query=sunonsunday.co.uk&WHOIS+Submit.x=0&WHOIS+Submit.y=0

1. Number6

Bagged

There's nothing to stop them using a trusted third party to grab the domain and then transfer it over. Must be trusted, lest there be some reneging on the deal and holding out for £££.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

better alternative front page for NOTW

DON'T CRY 4 ME MOBILE

13. Anonymous Coward
    Mushroom

Simple solution to more than one problem...

News Corp has a long standing tradition of blackmailing politicians to get "their" decisions.

Last I checked, blackmail is a criminal offence.

Declare News Corp an Criminal Cartel.

This has the added bonus, that all of News Corp's property can be confiscated (which would help the ailing economy). Problem solved.

14. micksea173
    Thumb Up

NOTW may have hacked 9/11 victims

If this is true then Murdoch should be shot. I know this article is in The Mirror, but this really made me sick

Here is the link to the article

http://www.mirror.co.uk/2011/07/11/phone-hacking-9-11-victims-may-have-had-mobiles-tapped-by-news-of-the-world-reporters-115875-23262694/

15. Ascylto
    Gimp

Has the NOTW hacked Steve Jobs emails?

As Mr Jobs had recently made a place in his bed for Rupe (with an iPad daily) we need to be told. And, has the Pope also been hacked? Didn't he make Rupert a Papal Knight?

Or is Rupert a secret Ruler of The Universe?

16. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Coat

They now no longer say NI !!

they say "Ekki, Ekki, Ekki!!"

I'll get me coat

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.