Feeds

back to article Bloke ordered to remove offensive numberplate

A Chesterfield telecoms boss has told the DVLA to naff off after the agency accidentally sold him the entertaining numberplate "BO11 LUX", then ordered him to remove it from his car. Alan Clarke, 49, spunked £399 last November down at the agency's website to grab the 'nads-themed plate, and slapped it on his new Range Rover. He …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge
FAIL

Yes? And? So?

Hey, you know what else? BR27 GRD is probably on the road too, like many other inoffensive combinations of letters and numbers.

BA57 ARD almost certainly is *not* on the road, though.

Mushroom

Australian motor registries "filter" their plates too

Although sometimes they accidentally let naughty ones slip through.

I'm toroughly annoyed that I never managed to get a photo of it, but I walked past a black Celica a few years ago that had the number plate CNT ETR

Stop

The title is required, and must contain letters and/or digits.

with no numbers ?? are you sure ??

Silver badge

With no numbers

Yes, they are permitted here.

Makes for some fun making validation rules when character recognition software is used to read the numberplate from an enforcement photo.

Anonymous Coward

Worth trying to hang on to it

if he wins, it's worth a fortune (as the one that got away - along with P5 NIS, reputedly).

Fact remains that anyone who knows the word and can make it out from the plate is unlikely to be offended, shurely? It might be some consolation, for when he loses, that the same kind of people who are be offended by the plate will be offended by the effrontery of someone owning a Range Rover. So, job done.

I can see it from both sides

I can understand why the guy is annoyed at the DVLA trying to take his plate away. He bought it fair and square.

But at the end of the day, if the DVLA have the power to revoke a plate then it doesn't seem like he's got any choice but to accept a refund, drive on different plates and if he really thinks he has a case, take it through the courts.

Gold badge
Mushroom

They'll be changing their name then?

Everyone knows that "DVLA" means "Bunch of useless cunts" which is, of course, offensive.

Sex Pistols

Wasn't there a court case against Virgin Records about "Never Mind the Bollocks" which established that bollocks is not an offensive word?

Thumb Up

yeah

that's what I thought

Anonymous Coward

re: not an offensive word

ISTR the court ruled that bollocks is not an obscene word, which is rather different, and it's really nothing to do with DVLA policy anyway.

Anonymous Coward

I hate personalised plates...

I think they're crass, arrogant, tacky and indicate that the driver has more money than sense.

I hope the filth make his life an absolute misery, and I could only enjoy it more if the plates were attached to a BMW.

Anon, because I dont wish every crass, arrogant, tacky, BMW driving uber-chav on my case.

Attitude Adjuster

With that attitude, and aptitude towards generalisation, Im surprised every body who offends your small mind isnt already banging down your door with a bottle of wine and a bouquet of roses.

BMW driver not afraid to post his name :D

p.s. No you cant have my roses.

Thumb Down

That's why

I prefer the term 'vanity plates'.

Silver badge
Flame

With that sort of arrogant attitude

I'd expect you to be driving an Audi.

It may be a generalisation, but as a biker, I can assure you that when some idiot decides to change lane without checking his mirrors and blind spot, that the odds are on that he (and it usually is a 'he') is driving a BMW or Audi.

As for personalised plates, they serve two important purposes:

1) Removing money from people who don't deserve the amount they own.

2) Warning other road users to the presence of a hazard.

My brother in law has a Range Rover with a personalised plate,

but then he is an arrogant vacuous prick, so it suits him.

FAIL

@AC 11:14 GMT

If only people gave a damn what you think perhaps you wouldn't feel so inferior and you wouldn't hate the rest of the world so much.

enjoying other peoples' misery rather negates the effect you are aiming for - it robs you of the moral high ground where you obviously feel you belong.

this might cheer you up: people who have vanity plates aren't trying to impress you, they are trying to impress each other.

(FYI I don't have a vanity plate or a BMW)

Anonymous Coward

@ AC - I hate personalised plates...

Indeed, they may or may not have small penis syndrome. But obviously you have............

Not a crass, arrogant, tacky, BMW driving uber-chav - just someone that believes private plates are ok. Even better if they are proper 'privates' rather than the crap you get these days in the 'modern' format.

Two that used to do the rounds in this area were 5 EXY and 1 EUK but the 1 EUK had a towbar fitted and the reg was low on the car so it always looked like I FUK. Sometimes the car was driven by a young lady.......... Sometimes an older lady and sometimes by a man!

Great stuff and pretty bloody harmless......... as is BO11 LUX.

And ...

A tax on stupidity ...

This post has been deleted by its author

Poserest plate ever.

BMWs are for posers, right?

4x4s/SUVs are for posers, right?

Personalised number plates are for posers, right?

Sotted in Edinburgh:

BMW X5 with the number plate "X5 CEO".

POOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSER!!!!!!

I always check my blind spots before I move in....

But you lot don't help yourselves by illegally creeping up into people's blind spots on an inside lane, and then depending on people to notice you've inserted yourself there. Some people just aren't that observant unfortunately, and people who do lots of miles often develop a lazy "familiarity breeds contempt" attitude to driving.

Silver badge
Flame

RE: With that sort of arrogant attitude

Sorry, but even the repmobile drivers are nothing compared to the average owner of a Toyota Pr*ck-to-ar$e. I won't call them "drivers" as they seem to be barely capable of steering in a straight line. Only the other day I followed one along the M4 and he went 40+ miles without leaving the middle-lane, regardless of whether the inside lane was empty, and totally blind when other drivers indicated that they wanted to pull out of the inside lane and the outside lane was empty. True, the latter is just common courtesy, but then I always maintain a good driver is also a courteous one.

Thumb Up

DVLA ...

... bunch of W4NKRs

Irrespective of my stance on prat plates, good on him for telling the DVLA to sling their hooks.

MrT
Bronze badge

Folloed a blue VW Touareg...

... about four years ago in Leeds - it was the biggest V10 diesel, with huge alloys and other blingtastic add-ons, with the number "W411 KER" - the driver had added a black-capped screw in the expected place and instead of the "EU" or "UK" blue flash down the left-hand side, it had "YOU" written vertically in white on blue.

IIRC on the exact model of course as I was laughing so much I nearly had to stop...

Coat

Maybe he could go for a different plate?

Say, C1UNG3, or D0BB3R?

Go

PEN 15

PEN 15 has been on the road for years too

Anonymous Coward

Cant think of a title at this moment in time

If the number plate is still on official car documents then isnt it still legal?

Just the act of deleting it from the database can't just make it illegal to use the plate.

What if someone accidently deletes a number plate from the database?

Anonymous Coward

No

It's not a case of deleting it from the database. It's a case of the DVLA issuing a notice of withdrawal to the registered keeper. The registered keeper then has so many days to respond, including returning the V5c document.

Failure to respond and return the document is an offence.

IIRC you don't actually own the V5c or the registration mark. The V5c remains the property of the DVLA and as for the mark you purchase the right to use it subject to various conditions.

Watch out for letting the mark lapse as well. Apparently the DVLA can withdraw any mark if the vehicle bearing it does not have current VED or SORN. If you fancy a nice valuable plate such as A1 you can apply to the DVLA to buy it and if the vehicle bearing it is not currently under VED or SORN they can withdraw the mark and sell it on to you. Before there was SORN it was just a case of the VED being lapsed. I did hear that this almost happened to the plate A1 once when somebody at Dunlop, who owned it at the time, forgot to get a new tax disc.

Bronze badge
Pint

Try "DVLA SUX"

as above

Laughing?

"Everyone just bursts out laughing when they see it"

I suspect they're not laughing at your numberplate mate!

Megaphone

"Everyone just bursts out laughing when they see it"

They're laughing AT you, Clarke, not with you.

Anonymous Coward

Vanity Plates

Quite. Only cocks have vanity plates. You have to be a total and utter cock to have a supposedly humourous vanity plate.

Mushroom

Daddy or Chips.....

Difficult one.... torn....

a) folk who feel the need for personalised plates really deserve no sympathy, more money than, but hey it's theirs and their choice.

b) DVLA, a private company "We make no mistakes" Capita, harrasing the public, no accountability, no recourse, hound the crap out of you, seem to get to make up laws outwith the the democratic process, But then Capita's CE is a member of the Illuminati puppeteering this government :-)

He's fucked !!!

Flame

full refund

The DVLA are offering him a full refund, which is more than someone this stupid deserves.

The thing I object to is...

That the DVLA thinks I will be offended by a number plate, don't care what it is, this one made me laugh, hardly offensive, perhaps the DVLA should take the approach that if a substantial number of people complain they will withdraw a plate, but otherwise, so what. Those few combinations that result in a really offensive word are not that hard to spot, and if anyone was daft enough to put it on their car, it would say more about them than anything else.

I suspect there are very few numbers that would really cause offence, and words that cause offence permanently are few and well known, most vary over time, has Bollocks ever been offensive, don't think so. I'd love to see the DVLA stand up in court and prove it is an offensive word.

Anonymous Coward

Getting one past the authorities? Never !

How could anyone possibly slip one past the authorities....

;o)

http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=60&pagetype=65&appid=1&mode=reg&fullregmark=EOLX

RE: Getting one past the authorities? Never !

I think the aircraft registered 'G-SPOT' is the better one.

http://www.caa.co.uk/applicationmodules/ginfo/ginfo_photo.aspx?regmark=G-SPOT&imgname=G-SPOT001&imgtype=jpg

Anonymous Coward

hmmmm

.. but half the population can't find it! ;o)

Gimp

Ridiculous..

Odds on, you can take offense at almost anything. There should be a fair balance between "grow up and get a sense of humour" and "offensive".

If someone wants to make a bit of an ass of themselves by a humourous numberplate, then fine.. We just need a bit of common sense.

If it's a word that's ever appeared in a song title/band name, and been allowed to be published to the world though the mainstream media without being permanently banned as offensive, then surely the word isn't offensive. Same with being broadcast on TV before "the watershed".

There's an excellent one in my area of the world "H1 2 LAY". Gives me a smirk every time, and brightens up the day.

C'mon DVLA. Grow a pair, and a sense of humour.

title goes here.

What does H1 2 LAY even spell? I can't work it out. I'm probably being really dumb here.

Joke

DVLA are picky

I wrote to them to complain about Fiat 500's, to me they look like a mangled cancerous testicle. I find it highly offensive that such a likeness could be allowed on our roads, especially as there's normally a tit behind the wheel.

They didn't seem to take the complaint seriously though

I don't get it...

Sorry for being stupid, but I don't get it... What does BO11 LUX mean? Boil Lux? Boll lux? Ball lux? What's about it?

Thumb Up

just in case you're serious

What does "Boll lux" sound a bit like?

Here's another one to try out "B311 END", not that I'm suggesting it's the one for you ;-)

Surely..

If the Government is so worried about not causing offense, then they'd surely redo the OGC logo (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/01/19/ogc_logo/).

Far worse, and more graphical than this number plate..

Wonder if offense goes into international? Asked a colleague today why he was grinning so much while playing with iSCSI.. Turns out that LUN is cantonese for Penis..

So next time you see a number plate with LUN on it, complain.. Let's see the recall rate on those!

KUT

is also quite offensive in Dutch if I understand correctly.

There used to be one round here

with C4 OCK.

I must be dyslexic

I read all personalised plates as "FUCKWIT."

SNORT

Sir,

You owe me a new laptop. My lunch is now all over it!

FWIW, the DVLA clearly knew what it said when they sold the plate for £399 but they are entitled to change their minds I suppose. Words do change their meanings over time. It's now OK to sell clothes labelled FCUK but consider how rude it is to call someone a lawyer or worse, a banker!

Ooooh, a private plate Range Rover... * yawn*

... "Everyone just bursts out laughing when they see it and it's unique."

They're all unique, genius - that's kind of the point.

Joke

Reminds me of a Murray Walker/James Hunt exchange

Murray: Here comes the Honda. This car is absolutely unique!

Hunt: Except for the one directly behind it

Number plates still come in pairs, right?

PS Yes I know the front one has a white background and the rear one is yellow, but it still reminded me of dear old Murray.

This topic is closed for new posts.