back to article Microsoft nails second Android device maker

Microsoft has nailed a second Android device maker to a patent licensing agreement. The Redmond software giant announced on Monday that General Dynamics Itronix has signed a patent agreement that will provide "broad coverage under Microsoft's patent portfolio". In other words, General Dynamics Itronix has agreed to licensing …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Ashton Black

FAT and patent longevity.

Assuming the commentators are right and it's a FAT dispute and given the fact that FAT (as a patentable bit of guff) has been round longer than 20 years how can it still be enforceable when patents are only applicable for 20 years? (extensions to this are VERY rare, apparently)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

It doesn't matter TO YOU.

"How the heck can it be held up as an example if the details have not been revealed? Such as exactly what patents are supposed to have been infringed."

It doesn't matter TO YOU - it matters to HTC / others who infringed the patents.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

Cut off your nose to spite your face?

"I was looking at Android this time, but if a thin dime goes to Microsoft, I'll get an iPhone 5 and deal with it. I'd as soon use a tin cup and a string than ANYTHING that feeds Microsoft."

Better pre-order your iPhone 5 then - I have nothing against Apple or Microsoft but seems crazy you would base your purchase for a pretty high-ticket item on whether Microsoft may make a small percentage. Let's hope you do not buy your iPhone THEN find out Apple license patents from Microsoft (either now or in the future).

1. westlake
      Pint

Too late.

>>Let's hope you do not buy your iPhone THEN find out Apple license patents from Microsoft (either now or in the future).<<

Apple and Microsoft signed a peace treaty in 1997.

>>In 1997, five years after the lawsuit was decided, all lingering infringement questions against Microsoft regarding the Lisa and Macintosh GUI as well as Apple's "QuickTime piracy" lawsuit against Microsoft were settled in direct negotiations. Apple agreed to make Internet Explorer their default browser, to the detriment of Netscape. Microsoft agreed to continue developing Microsoft Office and other software for the Mac over the next five years. Microsoft also purchased $150 million of non-voting Apple stock, helping Apple in its financial struggles at the time. Both parties entered into a patent cross-licensing agreement.<<

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Computer,_Inc._v._Microsoft_Corporation

"

4. Anonymous Coward
    Mushroom

Doh...

"Well, then my next phone will not be an HTC. It will be a MOTO."

Doh - until they get rolled as well. Chances are if HTC and Itronix have gone others will follow. MS are probably offering pay us $5 now or $15+ when we win in court.

I would like to see MS take on Google.

5. bertino
    Thumb Down

New laws needed

The result of any patent dispute needs to be published.

FAT should be banned from pre-formatted SD cards and the like, they should have nothing on them or, windows should be forced to support EXT4 or some such file system that is not patent encumbered.

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre

EXT on Windows

You can get EXT2, EXT3, ReiserFS -and, I suspect, a whole lot of other FS- to work on windows. Don't have the links at hand but Google is your friend. I use EXT3 on windows every other day, litterally.

1. M Gale

You can. Sort of.

Problem is it requires installing extra drivers that cause a nag window on every boot until you tell UAC to fuck off and trust them. Fine for most readers of the Reg, but what is Mr J Public's reaction going to be when he pulls the SD card from his camera, sticks it in the computer and gets "This removable device is corrupt or unreadable, would you like to format it?"

And software patents in general can die in a fire. I hope that someone with the money and balls to challenge Microsoft manages to overturn a few patents. Then encourages the rest of the "licensed" (nice term for "diddled") manufacturers to join them in the biggest class action suit in history. Microsoft and anybody else who behaves like them deserve to be ruined.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

6. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

This has all happened before - it will happen again ...

Wasn't Microsoft providing material support (somewhat quietly) to SCO in their Linux "undisclosed patents" suit against IBM, etc.? I suppose that since the patents in question are owned by MS, they couldn't hide in the background this time. It wouldn't have surprised me in the least if they had set up a small company to be their patent warehouse, and then use that company as the lead attack dog. MS could then provide material support one step back from the headlines.

SCO managed to get companies to buy "infringement protection" license agreements early in the Linux patent battle, so they won a few early battles. How did the war work out in the long run for SCO again?

7. Zippy the Pinhead

my question

Does General Dynamics Itronix even sell PCs to consumers anymore? I've seen Itronix laptops and even repaired a couple.. in my opinion they were pretty much generic extremely cheap laptops that looked like the kind grandma would buy because she didn't know any better.

8. doperative
    Facepalm

Why not sue Google?

Watching the US technology sector litigate itself to death ..

http://www.groklaw.net/articlebasic.php?story=20110321172008657

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Exchange connector?

Just idol/unfounded speculation, but overhearing a Microsoft sales rep a while ago talking about the Exchange product group making more money from iPhone licenses than from server product sales could have something to do with it

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like