Feeds

back to article Ten... Premium Android smartphones

Android handsets have been steadily stealing Apple’s smartphone thunder for a while now, due in part to their variety – the range runs the gamut from cheap and (not very) cheerful to the heights of the very latest technology. This round-up pulls together the latter type, with the very best on offer from the major manufacturers. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Bronze badge

Normal

Normal or not it's not very difficult - push a button to turn 3G off, push again to turn it back on.

If that's too much for you then, sure, this sort of phone won't do for you and you're better off sticking with one that you can get a week's battery life out of with the screen on all the time playing movies non-stop so you don't have to worry about ever having to switch anything off.

Joke

Biased

Where are the top 10 iphones?

Happy

Galaxy S (not II)

When I bought mine I also bought 2 spare batteries and a wall charger for the batteries. If it wasn't for those the phone would really suck. Wtih them and a 32GB SD it's pretty great.

No smartphone has a good enough battery yet, and until they can manage a week of normal use then none will. Until then I'll be buying extra batteries when I change phone, because of that the only big issue with the Galaxy is not such a big issue. I'd highly recommend it to folks!

Facepalm

Extra batteries?

Who could be arsed to frig around changing batteries? There are so many opportunities to charge 'phones' batteries without access to the mains these days that I don't really see it as a problem. BTW those Jobs suckers have no freakin' choice hahahahaha!

@ Jean-Paul

As I explained I do get decent battery life usually but I turned off features to get even more. At the end of the day why have wi-fi and 3G running in my pocket using up juice anyway when with one touch I can activate it and use it to check emails and browse the internet when I need it. Also saves a bit on my leccy bill :)

Wonder what'll be available...

...when it finally comes time to replace my Nexus One? I think I've probably got at least another year's good use out of it before it's retirement time. I hope by then Google have returned to asking HTC to make their flagship phones.

I really hate the design of all the Samsung models - they're ugly, and feel cheap and flimsy. I rather like HTC phones, but hate Sense. And of course I want to be sure to get OS updates as soon as Google release them, as I've become accustomed to on my N1.

Big Brother

Google = Evil !

All these phones and Android sound great, BUT aren't we forgetting that Goole are evil and are just out to sell our private data for all it's worth.

We are like the children running to take a lollipop from the child catcher?

Big Brother

Re: Google = Evil !

You aren't completely wrong, CatFunt, but I tend to be much more concerned about my ISP which collaborates with local secret services (as they all do).

Daniel

Facepalm

Wrong samsung phone

No idea why you've recommended the Galaxy Ace at £300 when you can get the original single-core Galaxy S for less than that and it's a far superior phone. I bet in normal usage you'd not see much performance difference between the S and the S2.

I just paid £219 for mine (mobiles.co.uk although offer has now ended) and have flashed it with Cyanogen, it's a great phone now.

Anonymous Coward

HTC Sensation

I had this phone for a few days. I was basically looking for a very premium looking phone - this one is certainly very stylish, the curves give it a very unique look. I've also had the desire S and that looks awesome - it's more streamlined and flawless than the Sensation, but doesn't have that unique look about it. It is beautiful however.

Few gripes about the sensation, the gap at the bottom of the screen and the plastic seems to attract dust that is hard to get out. Wi-fi signal can suffer when holding it in landscape mode, in a variety of grips - although I will say that it's fairly straightforward to find a few comfortable, and easy-to-remember grips (which is important so you don't have to faff about trying to find a good one) that won't affect the signal. It's maybe slightly too big to use in one hand - but if you've used 4.3 inch screens then you don't need my opinion on this! I've previously used iPhone 3GS, Desire S, and ZTE Blade all of which are very comfortable to use - I don't have small hands btw. Lastly, the thing is an absolute fingerprint magnet - really annoying and affects visibility in the sun fairly quickly. My iPhone 3GS doesn't suffer from this at all, used to play games all day on it and there was no fingerprint problem. Might be the Gorilla glass on the Sensation that causes this? Anyone have any ideas? Anyone have any background on the fingerprint issue on Sensation vs Galaxy S2? Also when you try to wipe the screen clean it just marks it with grease all over the place, unless you find the right type of cloth/tissue. 3GS and Blade don't suffer from that, you could get a pretty much perfect clean just from a quick few wipes on the shirt sleeve.

Pint

You Missed One, an oldie. Insert between #2 and #4

I am looking at new smart phones and I'm stuck.

I have an HTC HD2 (originally a WinMo 6.5 device).

It's got a 1Ghz CPU, 4.3" screen, 512Mb of usable on board RAM, run's Gingerbread 2.3.4 Cynogen Mod 7.0.6...., holds a 32GB SD card (A2SD enabled although I have a comfortable 267Mb of internal memory), Camera is good (not as good as some anymore but this is a 2009 device). Linpack recording ~39 MFLOPS and runs most of Sense 3 if I so desired. It's not hard to find a new one for under £250 and you can halve that cost on fleabay for a second hand one.

So... what do I do if this finally gives up the ghost (no signs yet) .... Buy another one and wait for the Sensation to loose it's various security locks? I don't see anything else on the market that significantly out performs this... And bangs per buck.... I have lots of beer money left.

What sets this below the pack? No front facing camera, AGPS is not working well (30 sec to first lock,... tedious) and some devices have more internal memory. Not much, huh?

And I can play to my hearts content running WP7, Ubuntu or whatever Android <3 flavour I desire, dual boot or native.

Anonymous Coward

WTF? Priorities?

OK, every single review mentions whether the phone can do HDMI out. Only 2 out of 10 of the reviews mentions storage capacity. WTF? Only a small subset of the smartphone world are going to give a damn about being able to plug their phone into the TV, but *everyone* needs to store stuff on their phone. Hell, one of the main things that iPhone gets slated for is lack of storage expansion, its one of the reasons I'm looking at moving to Android, you'd think it would be something everyone is going to want to know. But no. Not a whisper.

Thumb Down

the reviewer of the Samsung.....

.... fails to mention whether the GPS works at all..... My admittedly cheaper Samsung GPS has never worked at all, and despite being advised to upgrade the firmware appears to have been abandoned, no updates available, with fifth rate PC client software into the bargain. Samsung == massive fail.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.