back to article iTunes Match is iPiracy, claims loopy Oz industry troll

You can’t make this stuff up: the new Apple iTunes Match service has been described as “legitimizing piracy” by an Australian lawyer. The US$24.99 per year Match service will identify and index the songs on a subscriber’s hard drive, locate those songs in iTunes, and add those tunes to the user’s account in the new Apple …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. John G Imrie
    Joke

Re write

Lawyer claims buying music is ilegal

1. SimonX
      Happy

Or should that be...

iLegal

2. farizzle
    Happy

It's a case of

the music industry earning more money from music that could already be paid for, to make up for that music which they believe wasnt..

To quote Carlos Mencia as seen in the South Park episode "Fishsticks" just before Kanye West had him killed..

"just GET IT man! Just GET IT!"

3. Peter Murphy
    Pirate

Ken Philip needs to read his history.

One good way of fighting piracy is to make it easy for pirates to go legitimate. It's a good win-win situation. With a stroke of the pen (or the quill, or the electrons), pirates can join the community without any fear of past indiscretions over their head, and the community has less pirates preying on it. For example, George the First pardoned over three hundred pirates (of the "shiver me timbers" persuasion) in 1717.

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~bmuwgw/pirates.htm

Of course, His Majesty's Reasons were different. These ex-pirates could then be reclassified as "privateers"; they remained just one letter of marque away from preying on Spanish booty in the name of England.

Still, the principle remains. If you are going to have laws, make it EASY to be law-abiding. "Laundering" naughty mp3s is quite a sensible way to achieve the goal.

1. Oninoshiko
      Devil

*shakes head*

you just don't GET it. having an absolutely byzantine legal system, where no one understands it is CLEARLY a complete benefit (if you happen to be a lawyer). (Lawyers) Want it to be hard to follow the law, that way they have a never-ending business. Hrm... this gentleman happens to be a lawyer... funny, that!

"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers" --Henry VI, Act IV, Scene II

4. sunjun5

Doing his job...

I think that as a lawyer he is trying to do his job, interpret the law and decide if something is legal. I can understand his point that Apple could be helping people "launder" their music. I think most people would agree that a music recording has some dollar value.

An analogy would perhaps be banking $1000, with a sneaky counterfeited $50 stuck in the bunch. The bank may credit me that $50, but it would be wrong to do so.

We actually need lawyers to help interpret the law here. Music distribution is changing radically, and we need to explore what this means. I am not an advocate of the RIAA who seem to think that nothing has changed in the past 15 years in the music industry... unfortunately they have all the highly paid lawyers on their side.

1. Ian Stephenson
      Boffin

close but no cigar,,,

That would be the court's and the judges job to interpret the law.

His job as a lawyer is to a) try to convince the court that his interpretation is the correct one.

or b) to scare the public enough that his interpretation doesn't get challlenged in court (ACS anyone?).

And a better analogy would be the bristol zoo carpark attendant myth.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Holmes

What about new files?

As I understand it has a limit of 20,000 tracks, which seems pretty generous, but a few things spring to mind about this whole thing.

It seems that it may discourage people from actually buying music from iTunes. I mean, if you can download a bad quality rip from a torrent site, and then press the "Refresh Match" button in iTunes, you suddenly get a better quality, legal copy.

As a one off amnesty I can see the music companies get money they would otherwise never see (and people who buy their music legally, get it stored in the cloud, and available on ten devices for $25pa, which seems reasonable). But I can certainly imagine sales at iTunes dropping as a result.

And as someone already noted, if this is going to work on tags of files (as album art does), then you could just change the meta data of a few files, and get the new music you want, without even the hassle of finding in on a torrent site. In fact, surely it would be easy to write a program that does that for you - input a link to the album, and get back the actual music courtesy of Apple?

1. Jeremy Chappell

No limit

Nope, they used this in their example (because others have limits). There is no actual limit as such.

2. Gilbert Wham

Quality

Any torrent site worth its salt will have a range of formats far superior to 256kb AAC available...

6. Adrian Jones

Dammit Apple

Is it Wednesday or not?

7. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
    Pirate

One question that no-one appears to be asking:

Who gets the twenty five bucks annually? Apple are collecting it, are they passing it on to the music industry, in whole or in part, or are they keeping it all themselves?

GJC

1. Charles 9

It's in the article.

The music industry gets a cut of the take. Apple takes the rest, partly for profit and the rest to help run the system.

2. Christopher W
      Boffin

Apple of course!

Apple takes 30% just for being special. The remaining 70% will likely be split 58/12 - 58% of the remainder to labels, 12% for the US publishing. This will have to change for non-US royalties because publishing is administered differently in the US from almost everywhere else in the world because the rest of the world usually has just one unified collection agency per country, not two or three!

Thing is, the actual amount on which the royalty will be calculated will be an absolute pittance - revenues will probably be similar to Spotify (where you need hundreds of thousands of plays to earn $100).

1. Jeremy Chappell

Retail Model

Yeah, why should the retailer make any money... I mean, the very idea that a shop should make any money from selling other people's products, it's almost capitalist!

8. David Barrett

How does it actually work?

So I dont upload my music, it scans my library, matches to itunes and then gives me access to that music on itunes..

How does it check that the music it finds on my PC is actually the track that it says?

Could I for instance take an mp3 of me singing in the bath, add the metadata for something else and then get cloudy access to the something else?

Or (as may be more likley) have I misunderstood the whole thing?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

Too Much Coffee

No, the industry lawyer has not 'drunk too much coffee' ...

... he/she has SEEN THE MONEY.

10. ratfox
    Mushroom

H6242

No, it is not a codec.

From now on, I will promote the abbreviation in the title for the quote in Henry The Sixth, Part 2 Act 4, scene 2:

"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers."

11. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

reverse pirate

So if I have a legit copy of some music on my pc, and the record labels do not have a valid licence for that music but distribute it anyway (not uncommon), then this system will provide me with up to 9 pirate 'copies' without me knowing. Do Apple indemnify me against being sued in this case ?

12. Head

Hmmm

This solicitor has one of three frames of mind at work:

1) Legitimately trying to protect IP under Australian law

2) Trolling people and the government

3) Highlighting the backwards nature of Aus IP law, in that making a backup copy is technically illegal, as is using one legitimate song on more than one device

13. Steven Roper
    Stop

I don't think commenters have understood what's at stake here

Whether there is DRM on this music library is irrelevant, because it's not needed. The music isn't stored on your devices under your control, it's stored in Apple's cloud under THEIR control. That's how they can limit your usage to 10 devices without any DRM - because you no longer have a copy of the music under your control. You merely stream it from Apple's cloud, which detects which device is connected and refuses the connection if you have more than 10 registered to your cloud account.

This is the REAL danger of the so-called "cloud". It's about transferring storage and control of your files from you to some 3rd party provider, who could theoretically lock, edit or delete them leaving you with no evidence they ever existed in the form you provided them. Or make them available to those who have enough money/power to convince the cloud provider to let them in. After all, money talks and bullshit walks.

I can see its usefulness - having your files accessible anywhere there is an Internet connection speaks for itself - but don't ever let it become a replacement for private storage. Otherwise the information revolution is well and truly lost, because the kind of manipulation of history envisaged by Orwell becomes trivial for the ruling bodies once everything is in "the cloud".

14. Rattus Rattus

So...

Does that mean the sensible thing to do is hit up the torrent sites and see how many hundreds of gig of music you can grab for free, then pay a $25 fee and it all magically becomes legit? That's what it sounds like to me, am I just misreading this?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like