back to article Apple embraces 'n' extends messaging

Once upon a time there was POP3, and it was all so simple... This week's news that Apple is introducing its own proprietary messaging protocol was buried in yesterday's iCloud announcements. Maybe it's too geeky for the Twitter-besotted press corps, and too mundane for many analysts. But it's very, very significant. If RIM's …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Ian Ferguson
    Thumb Down

Actually, I *do* care.

Some of my friends communicate with BBM, but I don't have a blackberry.

Some use Facebook, which I hate. I'm losing touch with those friends.

Some use twitter, including me. Those are the friends I'm best in touch with.

Some even use email and phone, one even post, but I tend to forget to reply.

And you know what? This drives me up the wall. Social technology is meant to organise us and bring us together, not throw up barriers. The lack of interoperability is sheer petty bloody-mindedness on the vendor's parts. It'd be the easiest thing in the world to make BBM and iMessage talk to each other.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

Is it just me?

Does it look to anyone else like Andrew Orlowski uses the flimsiest excuses to bring up his weird little obsessions? Somehow he worked his strange fascination with some kind of human hive cult into an article about an IM system. I think he should write ALL the articles from now on.

For example this -

"Oracle has released a cross-platform update for Java that addresses 17 vulnerabilities in the ubiquitous software platform.

All 17 vulnerabilities might be abused to inject code into vulnerable systems, and all but one affect how Java Runtime Environment client software runs in browsers."

- would become this -

"Oracle has released a cross-platform update for Java that addresses 17 vulnerabilities in the ubiquitous software platform.

All 17 vulnerabilities might be abused to inject code into vulnerable systems, to the dismay of David Icke and his fellow reptiloid conspiracy nuts."

- which I think we can all agree is much better.

3. kosh

Rubbish.

Meanwhile, here in the real world outside Andrew Orlowski's fantasy land, real architects like me are still successfully producing large-scale solutions using protocols like SIP, XMPP, RTP, G.711, SMTP, IMAP, HTTP, DNS, TLS, XML, LDAP and another hundred open standards..

Why should Apple's closed-system messaging automatically be assumed a success? Facetime is a failure. Not everything the Church of Steve produces turns to gold.

There appears to be conflicting information about whether or not iMessage will be XMPP based, but Apple have rocks in the head if it isn't.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like