back to article Sandi Toksvig puts the 'n' into cuts - on the Beeb

The BBC has defended a joke by The News Quiz presenter Sandi Toksvig which, according to the Daily Mail, may have irreparably undermined the very bedrock of decency on which Middle England stands. The quip in question was broadcast last October at 6.30pm, and once again the next day at 12.30pm. Discussing the Tories and child …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
    1. Roger Varley
      FAIL

Perhaps if the BBC

According to Merriam-Webster on-line so "that particular word" as you put it has been around since the 14th century. Since it has survived in more or less common parlance since then I don't think an attention-seeking MP and a few linguistically anal moralists are going to have much of an effect.

2. Falanx
      Mushroom

...Ignored people like you

I find throwing a wobblie about the slip in moral fibre against your ephemeral and mostly-historically-inaccurate behavioural standards works very much better if you abide by your own cobbled-together standards.

Also, probably because as the BBC are aware, words with lots of 'e's are far more common.

'Humorously'. And the 'H' is redundant, unless you're often given to spouting opinions you only pretend to hold.

I take exception to people taking exception to my choice of words. Words only have their power, contrary to V, because their speakers give them such.

1. nyelvmark
        WTF?

chatbot?

>>I find throwing a wobblie about the slip in moral fibre against your ephemeral and mostly-historically-inaccurate behavioural standards works very much better if you abide by your own cobbled-together standards.

What do we think?

3. lpopman
      Facepalm

titular cnut anagram

You put the 'D' in ick.

Words are words, language is language. It should be celebrated for it's diversity rather than being censored.

4. Greg J Preece
      FAIL

It's a word, get a sense of perspective

A word on its own can't hurt you, you fool.

CUNT! Anyone's ears bleeding? Skies falling? Nope? OK then...

Words are given impact by context, not spelling. Restricting what someone can say, or even imply, based on some puritan notion of there being "special words" is ridiculous at best, and marks you out as being quite narrow-minded and fragile.

By the way, I take great offence at the usage of the word "respectful", in any context, when used in conversation with me. As a result, I demand you remove the above post from the forums. Wouldn't want to be disrespectful now, would you? Think of the children!

5. Anonymous Coward
      Stop

Shock Horry

I find you use of the word Broadcasting offensive and shocking in this context.

I find the disrespectful manner in which you discuss the BBC to be equally offensive and you, sir, are singlehandedly contributing to the decline of this once great nation and its empire.

I also find the fact that you have alluded to a word you havent actually used to be mortally offensive and not something that can be tolerated. Just because you havent put "twat" in words in your post doesnt mean I cant be offended by the twattish nature of your post.

Please cease immediately and issue a formal apology (obviously ensuring it is in a manner that will offend absolutely no one).

6. Florcz
      WTF?

er

Chill out you daft cunt

7. Naughtyhorse
      Coat

recent years...

So wouldl these years be more or less recent than the years when threadneedle st was known as grab cunt lane?

just asking.

mines the one with a punnet of 'peaches' in the pocket

8. Chris Hainey
      Childcatcher

Point still missed...

From what I heard on this, no offensive words were ACTUALLY said, other than "Tory".

Simply implying a word or using suggestive innuendo is not, and never will be swearing.

It was said with humorous intent and worked. Obviously the Daily Hate and Fear reader has had their statutory sense of humour bypass completed and the overwhelming sense of moral outrage translplanted instead.

Also, the absurdity of your use of Shit in a post complaining about the shock value iof a word which was not said defies all logic.

Cnut

1. Anonymous Coward
        Coat

Dear Chris Hainey

"Tory" is quite an offensive word and Sandy Toskvig should be truly chastised for using it.

What else could she be getting punished for?

1. Chris Hainey

Sandi Toksvig could be punished for

Not sure, but I'm pretty sure there have been a few naff jokes over the years worthy of groaning complaint

1. BoldMan
    WTF?

doh

So let me get this straight, she didn't actually SAY the word, just alluded to it... Some people need to get a sense of proportion. Silly twats!

1. Richard 116
      WTF?

Not only that...

...but she didn't say it last October!

Lets see how many complaints Bel Mooney and the Daily Mail can whip up. From people who clearly didn't even hear the broadcast.

Cu(n)ts.

2. SuperTim
      FAIL

She didn't allude to any specific word

Saying there is an N in Cuts means that the letter N could appear anywhere in that word. It is the filthy mind of Mr Harrow that created the rude word in his head, so he is actually complaining about his own dirty mind!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Meh

Not offended

.. but only cos I didn't watch the program and wouldn't, given a choice. Might have something to do with the fact that I find her offensive no matter what she says.

1. Joel 1
      Trollface

Not observent either

Well, I suppose you could watch a Radio 4 program with an oscilloscope, but I would think that there would be greater comprehension from listening to it....

See you next Tuesday....

1. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

@Joel 1: He might have been in the audience!

Nuff said.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@Joel 1 & Peter Gathercole

Bugger, I'm embarassed by the blunder. For some reason my brain didn't react properly to the word "listeners". So it was a radio programme - even less likely to upset children then.

And no PG - I wasn't in the audience. Might have been confused if I was, since I obvioulsy thought it was a telly programme.

3. TheOtherHobbbes
    Mushroom

So

using a bad word in public - ZOMGWTFBBQHALP!

Throwing millions out of work, making a good percentage destitute, destroying access to higher education, trying to remodel the NHS for the personal benefit of one's banker chums, and generally using every excuse possible to punch poor people in the face - perfectly fine.

And good luck with *that.*

1. Anonymous Coward
      Facepalm

Off topic, surely?

What have Gorson Brown's Labour government got to do with this?

On a serious note, what a bunch of silly cuts.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Flame

In their defence

...*everyone* is getting a punch in face (looks closesly at *all* his domestic & fuel bills and pending tax return), not just 'the poor'.

Mind you, if you're a tory, "poor people" does actually mean "everyone else but me".

re: higher ed: The universites have some responsibility here too - just 'cos the gov say they can up their fee limits to £9,000, doesn't mean they had or need to. But guess what they all went and did anyway?

Any guesses what the councils will do when the current cap on increases is removed, and the 'new' cap is announced? Anyone?

Anyone seen what the rail companies do with their caps? Your 6-10% annual increase is no accident or one-off either.

1. Dave 15

punch drunk

If you are paid 10million a year knowing the tax payer will cover any mistake I guess you probably don't give a moneys about the fuel bill - its probably your speculation activities that have pushed the prices up anyway.

The idiot that thought that a university was going to offer a 'cut price' course and try and pretend it was as wonderful as the next door uni's expensive one should step down as the incompetent idiot they are. However they won't. Of course if students are prepared to pay the ludicrous fee instead of getting a job, and the idiots in HR departments all over this country put 'must have upper 2 or better' on every advert - even for the toilet cleaner - I guess we get where we are. (BTW, am I the only one that stops any conversation about a job when they are asked what level of degree they got 25 years back?) We should have apprentices again - people who learn what REALLY happens not the theory (ScrumIT ran a software apprenticeship until the government decided it would rather give Microsoft billions to reinvent the wheel we were already using).

Council tax - should just be abolished. If I paid for my council through my income tax then it would be cheaper. If the central government funded councils by a direct grant based on the number of people then my democratic choice is to decide how the money is spent, but we would all save because there would be no bill printing, no debate about how much and less accountants.

As to the various monopolies created by Thatcher, well, you are ok if you are a shareholder seeing the money flow in, but for the majority of us seeing the prices increasing 20% a time it just isn't funny.

I'm feeling a bit punch drunk about the stupidity of the leaders (from both parties) who seem unable to put brain in gear before letting their mouths flap - probably because they are all working out how to make more from the expenses system and ignoring the real job.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Childcatcher

slight related ...

does anyone remember that US state which banned people having "WTF" as a car registration after some coucillor was told "what it meant" ?

5. Danny 14
    Thumb Up

Cnut eh?

Wasnt Cnut a king of england at some point?

1. philbo
      Joke

I thought he was

Knig of Dnemark, Egnland, Nroway and half of Sweden

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sadly for the tories

The truth often hurts.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Radio 4 comedy

Is the best and a lot of the best stuff that ends up on TV, starts there. Sandy's words are mostly scripted. That cuts line sounded like it was part of the script. Implied swearing isn't swearing. As they say in defence of the other comedy "I'm Sorry, I haven't a Clue", the rudeness is all in the mind of the listener. Clean mind, no offence.

8. This post has been deleted by its author

9. DP 1
    Trollface

Daily (Hate) Mail

That URL is hilarious. Much funnier than the gag everyone is so upset about.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ISIHAC

Quite. It takes a special kind of paranoia when you have to *know* the word that isn't even spoken to get 'offended'.

"Nottingham - It's well documented in official records that the city's original name was "Snottingham" or "home of Snotts", but when the Normans came, they couldn't pronounce the initial letter "S", so decreed the town be called "Nottingham" or the "home of Notts". It's easy to understand why this change was resisted so fiercely by the people of Scunthorpe. "

11. Ally J
    Childcatcher

The late John Peel

referred to Big Country as 'putting the tree in Country' on Top of the Pops (yes, that long ago) without causing ripples. While it's not a word I like, or think I should be hearing on the radio at 6:30 in the evening, it was a veiled allusion and not bellowing it out in a bid to be funny.

I listened to the programme and it sailed over my head - I didn't even know the joke had been in there until reading this article.

12. SpeakerToAliens
    Big Brother

This obviously caused political rather personal affront.

Stephen Fry told this joke on "I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue" in the game "Uxbridge Dictionary" (where you give new definitions for words) a while ago:-

"Countryside" - "Killing Piers Morgan".

Nobody complained then.

1. Eponymous Cowherd
      Thumb Up

Uxbridge dictionary....

Rancour : What Scooby really thinks of Shaggy

Chauffeur : What Paris Hilton does when getting out of a car.

Laminate : What a ram does to a ewe.

Sexual : Proposition from Louisiana prostitute.

1. James Hughes 1

Took a few seconds

But that Scooby/Shaggy one is excellent.

13. phuzz Silver badge
    Mushroom

Ofcom

Can I write to Ofcom and say that I thought a particular swearword was an entirely appropriate joke and should be broadcast?

Also, what are music stations supposed to do when the band name or song title contains a swear word? (eg the band 'Fuck Buttons', who 6 Music have to refer to as 'Eff Buttons').

1. Naughtyhorse

lulz

and who dosent feel sorry for tv continuity announces telling you that "bleep my dad says" is about to start

14. Miek
    Coat

Frankly

I don't care. The people "Offended" by such a remark are devoid of any intellectual humour and such should be bundled in with those that put the 'n' in to 'Cuts'. I vote to lock these idiots in the sin bin along with the 'Cuts' that dreamt up having Traffic Lights on Roundabouts.

15. Phil Standen
    Trollface

Like a superinjunction

Is this like a super injunction? You can't say the word, or say that the word exists? or even say you can't say the word exists?

Or has Sandi also been at it with Imogen Thomas?

16. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

What do you mean, "required"?

My assumption was that this referred to the silliness of King Cnut's attempt to turn back the tide. Cnut, if I remember rightly, shared a nationality with Sandi Toksvig.

OK, I'm going ...

17. Mike Tyler

The Daily Mail!!

It's not as if she actually said the word, I don't suppose any children said "Daddy why is that joke funny" and needed it spelling out. The only people offended were those who had already seen the joke on "Mock the Week" and those who know the word and can spell it. As someone who works in the public sector, I think it's a fair comment. Let's face it the only reason Cameron and Clegg want to make sure the Pound is a strong currency is because they have so many of them. The Cuts are for them not for the man on the Clapham Omnibus

18. mhoulden
    Trollface

No win situation

Presumably if TNQ had been censured, the Daily Wail would just come up with something about nanny state censorship. "Woman doesn't swear on radio" isn't exactly ground-breaking news. Paul Dacre isn't immune to swearing himself: http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2005/oct/17/dailymail.mondaymediasection

19. Anonymous Coward
    Mushroom

stupid tory cut

What a masterbater. Silly tory cut.

20. Nipsirc
    WTF?

Something like this...

...will go over the heads of any children below a certain age anyway. My children (7 & 9) listen to the News Quiz, and a joke like that they wouldn't understand. They don't really know who Tories are.

Seriously though - I'd much rather the use of swearing was kept to allusion rather than just blurting it out - I know Radio 4 audiences are expected to be able to handle a certain amount of foul language, but it does make it difficult when I want to introduce my kids to some good comedy. Apart from anything it gets bloody annoying when one of the sprogs keeps saying '''oooh, did you hear the man on the radio? He just said a swear word..." Very tedious.

21. Captain TickTock
    Coat

She forgot to mention:

There's plenty of "F" in cuts these days.

Now which "F" in coat is mine?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

There is no "I" in team...

... and there is no "F" in management

1. Jared Hunt
        Coffee/keyboard

The old ones are the best ones...

... now you owe my whole team new keyboards!

2. Vic

Re: There is no "I" in team

I once very nearly got sacked, despite already having handed in my notice.

For the umptyeth time, my boss trotted out his favourite platitude: "There is no 'I' in team".

I'd already quit. I didn't care any more. I finally said what I'd been thinking all those months.

"No, but there's a 'U' in 'cunt'"

Vic.

22. Big Al
    Coat

Clearly...

This will mean cutns for her career!

Ok, ok, getting it already...

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Didn't Kenny Everett

do a sketch on the radio back in the early 80s which went along the lines of:

"I'm a country member."

"Yes, I'll remember."

Not to mention his most famous chacter of all, Cupid Stunt.

Can't believe people are getting offended by a little word-play 30 years later.

24. Pete Wood
    Stop

I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue

Wasn't it on ISIHAC that Steven Fry was asked to provide a definition of the word "Countryside" and replied "Killing Piers Morgan" ?

If people want to be outraged, they'll always find a way to be so. Toksvig's joke may not be the cleverest bit of wordplay in the world, but it's better than no wordplay at all, and wordplay is at the heart of a lot of the best humour on Radio 4....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like