back to article Microsoft becoming Apple with Windows 8 control freakery?

Microsoft is becoming more like Apple by bringing some hardware discipline to Windows 8 tablets, to the annoyance of OEMs who've had decades of freedom. At his week's Computex trade show in Taipei, Acer chief executive JT Wang complained that Microsoft is putting "troublesome" restrictions on makers of tablets running Windows …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Dammit, lets skip all these middle steps.

Corporations trying to lock in their hardware are all going to be trumped by direct cranial wetware implants with global Internet access monitored and controlled by the Chinese.

I for one welcome our new Chinese overlords and would like them to know if they need someone to act as an informer and turn in the reactionary rabble plotting to overthrow their Marxist paradise, they only need to ask.

2. OrsonX
    Facepalm

Windows 7

I can't help but think, why wasn't Windows 7 optimised for touch input? Seems so shortsighted!

But I see that Win7 came out October 2009, whilst the iPad wasn't released until April 2010...., so how could they possibly have known!!!*

*although perhaps the iPhone, released June 2007, should have given them just a little tiny clue......

3. Anonymous Coward
    Terminator

Laugh out loud

The last time windows wasn't trying to be Apple was in the mid nineties.

4. Mitch Harter

Every article I've seen quotes the Acer Chief, and yet, I have not seen what the restrictions are...

What gets blamed when Windows runs so slowly?

Is it the lack of horsepower under the hood of the computing platform?

No. It's Window's fault.

Why doesn't Windows perform like an Apple?

Toss iOS onto an Acer NetBook with a 1Ghz Atom processor, make your comparison,

and then stop complaining.

5. Leigh 5

a n d r o i d

Why are manufacturers even screwing with Microsoft?

1. N13L5
      Black Helicopters

I can tell you the answer in regards to HTC, at least...

Have you noticed that HTC was just a little bit behind in early 2011? Suspicious absence of an HTC dual-core phone announcement, when LG and Samsung were bleating from every billboard?

That's cause M$ had told them late last year to put out a load of windphone7 mobiles or else be sued for some Android patent claims. So HTC had to scramble to plug those windphones together, leaving them not enough time to stay head to head with Sammy on high end specs.

In turn, they got a deal from M$, having to pay them 'only' $5 per Android phone sold... nice, huh? that's how out of order the patent system is.

Patent FIX:

Electronics patents should have half the lifespan of mechanical patents.

Software patents should have half the lifespan of electronic patents.

Patents of living organisms should NEVER be granted and be illegal.

6. N13L5
    Pint

for software tied to hardware, "delayed open source" might be the best you can get.

You can't claim that Google suddenly doesn't believe in open source anymore, just because they want to avoid bad user experiences leading to bad rep.

If you're selling software tied to hardware, Google's model of delayed open source might be the best you can reasonably expect.

They still don't jail you like Apple or ghetto you like M$.

Soon enough, we'll be able to put a Cyanogen version of it on any phone we want, and hold ourselves responsible if it runs or looks like crap on a small screen. And at least 3 Hardware makers (Sony, HTC, Samsung) have just decided not to screw us up if we want to use custom ROM's, so we can update our phones when we want to.

So, from a user standpoint, its a fine system all around. Hardware makers can't cheese out too much on device specs, yet we can install whatever version we want AND get the source code eventually.

Contrast Now, Later and Never, and you'll see the difference between now and later is a lot smaller than between either of those and never!

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like