back to article Microsoft calls Intel's Windows 8 comments 'inaccurate'

Microsoft has said that recent comments from Intel software chief Renée James on the next version of Windows were "factually inaccurate and unfortunately misleading." At Intel's Investor Meeting 2011 at the company's Santa Clara, California, headquarters on Tuesday, James told her keynote audience that the upcoming versions of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Matt Bucknall
    Flame

@Anton Ivanov

A single system? Seriously?

2. Ilgaz

G5 can run Windows 7 with MS Virtual PC

I remember doing a fun experiment with installing Windows 7 preview to G5 Power mac of mine (fastest one). It actually worked except choking because of completely cosmetic 512MB RAM limit which I always compared to 640K story.

It is MS Virtual PC, MS has capability to software emulate x86. If they license or make it easy for OEM to license the technology from the company who makes Rosetta for Apple, things may even get more interesting.

Remember legacy apps doesn't need too much memory too since developers of these didn't have face to "buy more ram instead of me fixing memory leak" type thing.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Serious question

What are the reasons for not being able to take an x86 binary and convert it to an arm binary? Yes the layout of the files will be different, but surely you can rearrange what you need to, replace instructions with their equivalent arm instructions and add additional commands where needed? So long as the same external function references exist why would there be a problem?

Paris, coz I'm having a blond moment.

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Re: Serious question

No blondes here, I'm afraid. In the absence of self-modifying code, the translation you propose is trivial, it can be done once and thereafter the code behaves just like a normal ARM executable. You'd probably lose a few percent in performance on low-end chips, but on higher end CPUs the out-of-order execution would mean that you were actually bottlenecked on memory references rather than instruction execution and so performance would be indistinguishable from a native build.

In the presence of self-modifying code, you need to re-translate the modified code on the fly. In practice, such modifications are rare and confined to very short stretches of code, mostly generated by well-known libraries. It wouldn't be hard to handle them and you wouldn't notice the performance hit.

To elaborate on something I said in an earlier reply to someone else, when Microsoft were pitching Windows NT on all sorts of RISC platforms, they had a sub-system called FX!32 which let you run 32-bit x86 applications on the RISC-y Windows. In the case of the Alpha, FX!32 was so good that x86 apps ran faster on the Alpha than on the best Pentium chips of the time. (The Pentium Pro put paid to all that, and indeed to the entire RISC revolution, but that's another story.)

If Microsoft want Windows-on-ARM to be able to run x86 applications at full speed, they already have the code to do it. Intel know this. It is a credible threat to their business.

In the 80s and early 90s, RISC-based systems chewed up the mainframe business from below. In the 90s and early 00s, x86-based systems chewed up the UNIX workstation vendors from below. Only a fool would now ignore the *possibility* that hand-held devices and low-power laptops will now chew up the desktop PC market from below. Intel didn't get where they are today by being fools.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Gates Halo

FX!32 wasn't from MS, but it doesn't matter

Nice writeup Ken, just want to point out that FX!32 didn't come from Microsoft (how could you think anything clever could come from MS).

As you (nearly) say, FX!32 automagically translated NT/x86 Win32 executables to NT/Alpha Win32 executables. It actually came from DEC's Alpha people. The impact of this is that MS afaik don't actually have rights to that code (correction welcome), but in the years since then, emulation technology in general has moved on and there are probably equivalent tools, maybe even better tools, which are now available to MS.

4. Volker Hett

The problem I see

When Microsoft hast to develop and support 5 totally different versions of Windows 8 it will have even more problems than Vista had.

Same IE on 5 Versions of Windows? Or do they do it like today. One for CE, one for WinPhone7 and two to three for Windows on Intel?

Even the track record for keeping .net in sync over different platforms isn't that promising.

Since my customers just started moving from XP to Win7, I'm not panicking, but I expect to run a lot of virtual desktops not too far in the future.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Legacy? What legacy?

Remember those exe's that considered too much memory as a pirates attack vector so promptly did not run at all?

The legacy issue is more notional than factual, more heresay than real, more marketing than productive. In essence: a dream.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like