back to article Student accused of posting bogus coupons to 4chan

A computer science student has been charged with fraud and counterfeiting for allegedly posting hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of bogus coupons on 4chan and other websites. Lucas Townsend Henderson, 22, of Lubbock, Texas, was charged with wire fraud and trafficking in counterfeit goods in a criminal complaint unsealed …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Charley 1

(untitled)

"He posted some dodgy coupons on a dodgy website where eveyone knew they were counterfeit"

True. If he'd posted real coupons he'd have left himself open to a charge under the Trades Description Act.

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Coat

"One Free Internet"

A Winrar is you!

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

War on the freetards has begin

A whole nation of American teenagers just shat themselves after realizing the internet is not anonymous...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

...says the AC commentor!

Lol

4. GatesFanbois

blah

I remember seeing these. They were very well done and there were instructions provided on how to create your own coupons. The person posting also gave helpful information like print of a bunch of them and give them away to other people in the supermarket or put them under wind screen wipers. so when you walk up to a checkout with the same coupon it doesn't seem so strange.

I was never convinced they would work for the high ticket price items such as xboxes but people replied saying they did. Then again it was 4chan so I didn't believe them either.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

Sad

He's being persecuted for being smarter than big business, and wanting to share his knowledge.

Why is it illegal to find a loop hole and use it, rather than it being a legal requirement to secure your business practices?

Think about it. Blindly shouting "it's against the law" or comparing to other crimes is moronic. Perhaps, some laws are wrong, and we need to think about and change them?

1. Spleen

Re:

"Perhaps, some laws are wrong, and we need to think about and change them?"

And you seriously believe that "Don't take other people's stuff without paying for it" is one of them?

2. mark 63 Silver badge

re sad

seriously??

you dont think using these coupons is just out and out theft?

If you're selling your car and I give you £10,000 , then you take that cash to the bank and they confiscate it as fake - you'd be ok with that?

You'd say "well gosh darn , that cunning customer got the best of me and no mistake! hats off to the fellow!" ??

"some laws are wrong" . maybe but theft of property isnt one of them.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Ah yes...

"Think about it. Blindly shouting "it's against the law" or comparing to other crimes is moronic. Perhaps, some laws are wrong, and we need to think about and change them?"

You remind me of the freetards who post copyrighted music videos on Youtube or the like with the comment "no copyright infringement intended! srsly!" Just because you say something should be legal, doesn't make it legal.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

And you remind me of people

... who wanted to keep slavery legal.

This has got nothing to do with piracy. You also besmirch yourself by using the term freetard.

You know you're running out of legitimate argument when poor analogies and name calling come in to play.

Laws are man-made and do not always accurately portray real right and wrong. All I asked was you think about it. Clearly, you did not.

4. Aaron Em

Maybe, but this isn't one of them

He's not being persecuted for being "smarter than big business"; he's being prosecuted for making it possible to defraud various companies out of a couple hundred grand.

Now I realize it's in vogue to imagine that every corporation is made out of Satan and all his demons, and in a lot of cases I'd be willing to grant the point when it comes to the occupants of the executive suites. But every corporation also has real human beings working for it, down at the lower levels where shit actually has to get done; since they have no collective bargaining power any more, guess who gets screwed first last and always when the profit margin takes a hit? But hey, that doesn't matter, FUCK THE MAN WOOO

As for the rest, I'll just assume that when somebody cons you out of a few grand and then gets busted for it, you'll testify in his defense that he's just being persecuted for being "smarter than you".

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

But you admit

... he was smarter than big business?

Making 'something possible' should not be illegal, especially when the something involves an unsecured broken system.

Interesting you're also defending a system you admit has people at the top doing nothing, and hard working individual at the bottom doing 'shit'.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Umm, did he really forget to use Tor?

Of course the FBI would be telling us if they already had a way around Tor, wouldn't they...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

title

He was just doing it for the lulz.. now the lulz are on him. lulz.

8. Lockwood
    WTF?

I think we can all agree

TRWTF is not validating coupons

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: I think we can all agree

But alas, they are valid. Do a the google about it.

1. Lockwood
      WTF?

Re: AC

Then TRRWTF is not having strong enough validation

1. Aaron Em

No

TRWTF is the idea that implementing a zillion bucks' worth of infrastructure, to combat a few million in coupon fraud a year, would make any kind of sense for an individual store/manufacturer pair, or indeed for all of them in the aggregate. It's not costing any one organization enough to be worth that kind of expenditure, or they'd already be doing it; why then assume that it's what the entire industry needs?

Besides which, most of the time people with bogus coupons don't even realize it, and they genuinely aren't at fault because expecting people to do an hour's due diligence on every coupon they intend to use is the sort of thing which, in a just world, would fetch you a smart slap across the mouth. Screwing them over at the POS for something that isn't their fault will accomplish nothing save to piss off the customer, who will piss off the cashier, the store manager, and everyone else within earshot before departing the store for its friendlier competitor.

Seriously, some people in here are talking so little sense on this subject that you'd think they'd never had a job.

10. Hayden Clark Silver badge
    WTF?

Who actually commits the fraud?

They aren't banknotes, so the counterfeiting laws don't apply.

The people who printed off the coupons =knew= they were fake. That makes them the fraudsters, surely.

Sellers of lock-picking tools don't get prosecuted for burglary.

1. NukEvil
      Stop

"Sellers of lock-picking tools don't get prosecuted for burglary."

Yep, and websites providing torrents to downloads for free, copyrighted software never get prosecuted for internet piracy.

Oh, wait...

2. Aaron Em

There are legitimate uses for lockpicks

Try coming up with one for a fraudulent coupon.

And by your own excuse for reasoning: The people who printed off the coupons wouldn't have been able to do so in the first place, had it not been for the incredible dipshit under discussion here. That makes him the fraudster, surely.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Joke

here's a reason.

I use them for bookmarks because they're cheaper than dollar bills, and even more colorful.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like