back to article Memo gives full details of Nokia staff cull and closures

Nokia announced the largest cuts in the company's history today, with significant cuts in the UK and globally. Seven thousand jobs will go across the board, with 4,000 in R&D. Office closures will follow in Denmark, the UK and Finland, and 3,000 Symbian jobs will transfer to consulting firm Accenture, the first 300 this year …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Yeah very well but there what phone is there for ME to use?

This is allk very well. Nokia turning MSFT. But Winpooh doesn't do the things I want. Symbian does. SO when that stops what other phone is there for ME to buy?

Andoid can't do it?

iOS can't do it?

winphone can't do it?

Bada can't do it?

BlackBerry OS can't do it?

A few WinMobile phones could do it.

Symbian Nokia phones can do.

SE and Nokia featurephones can do.

The first 2 will be gone or are already gone. This means I won't be a smartphone user anymore by 2012. I'll be back in the dark ages. Instead of going forward I'll be back 7 years (the SE K750i era) :-(

Is this progress?

2. Ilgaz

blame put on engineers?

people who wasted Symbian kernel with their bad management are still there and running things as they used to. Can you show a single Windows Phone development guide for Symbian developers focus? A page ensuring Symbian users they will get same support? Some guy promised symbian support and one week later, they dropped s60 non touch (including still on market e71/e72) from qt update.

If you have anything professional to do with Nokia, run to Android or WebOS if you can't handle Apple. They wasted enough time already, don't let them waste your career.

Those platforms would look like visual basic after symbian's strict coding standards, won't be hard.

1. Manu T

RE: blame put on engineers?

Sure, show me an Android phone that can (preferably automatic) record calls. Also when using bluetooth handsfree/headset (like my current Nokia does as does my dad's ancient SE K750i). I have no problem with obtaining a third party app but the phone MUST be hardware capable to do this. And I don't mean recording calls when speakerphone is active. That's not 2-way call recording and definitely not suitable on private calls.

On the same matter. Can someone please compile a list of (android) phones who can record calls (even with a beep every 10secs).

There's the ZTE Blade aka Orange San francisco (Android 2.1) and Xperia 10 (only with Android 1.6). The first one is not avialable in my country.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Kill marketing department, ot engineers

What I hae heard of the woes of nokia the problem in marketing, not engineers. Marketing deparetment decides what the phones that come out are like and engineers just implement the design. N900 was first for a long time that marketing department didn't fiddle with as it wasn't designed to be sold but as software test platform. Unfortunately the engineers werent given enough time to finalise the design and hardware is in some aspects a bit fliimsy. But even if it were flimsy it sold more than anybody expected and was for over 4 months in backorder.

What Nokia should have done a long ago is make a few phones that are designed purely by the engineers and then use them as a base for phones designed by the marketing department and beancounters. Too many phone generations were pure marketing designs and that stagnated the platform.

1. Mr Floppy
      Linux

bye bye meego too

Maemo barely made it out the door and Meego doesn't even get to the door.

The N900 is a classic. I hope mine will last the distance and I thank the maemo community for making it the best phone I've ever owned.

1. David22

There will be ONE MeeGo from Nokia in 2011.

Nokia will release a MeeGo producto this year. It will be the one and only MeeGo from Nokia. It is possible it'll be a phone, may be a N950. Even it is possible that it can't carry MeeGo name because of some differences (it is a mix of Maemo 6 and MeeGo).

The only way we see more MeeGo from Nokia in the future is that Nokia crhas with Windows Phone 7 phones, and that Micrsoft doesn't buy that. But is very difficiult that those both situation be produced.

4. Andus McCoatover

YLE News 20-min Elop interview (English)

Hope this doesn't trash YLE's servers...

Mainly concentrating on the Finnish impact.

http://www.yle.fi/uutiset/news/2011/04/elop_finnish_rampd_remains_heart_and_soul_of_nokia_2546663.html?autoplay=true

5. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

microsoft vs linux/symbian

What happens when you can successfully get a loyalist in to the top tier of an otherwise successful competing company? This! Elop was a top 10 microsoft share holder until recently. He sold because people noticed the conflict of interest (google it). So, nokia develop linux kernel drivers for smartphones - their own and others, and they do a good job of it. Maemo was looking to be a fantastic linux based operating system. Nokia own QT, and prime time multiplatform UI. All very damaging to microsoft. Now microsoft have played their hand, shut down and seriously damaged the competitors, and at the same time picked up a huge (but shrinking) phone manufacturer who will run windows phone 7, when most others wont. Win win win for microsoft. Loose for Nokia, Linux, Finland. Such a shame. How did it come to this?

1. Ilgaz

It can crash the entire MS management

Once markets figure people aren't that dumb and Nokia really wasted their brand value so they won't be tricked into buying incapable Windows Phone because of label, they will want blood.

We speak about an operating system which doesn't even have sockets support. Forget the copy/paste, this is the real joke.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

RE: microsoft vs linux/symbian

"How did it come to this?"

Corporate greed!

Elops promise to current shareholders to pay out a better divident next year. Which is natural, laying off thousands jobs immidiatly raises funds.

It'll take 2 years at least before the full impact of his actions will threaten the shareholders. By then it'll be too late for those rich bastards to counteract and save the sunken ship. All Nokia's assets are being "outsourced" already. It's so obvious what Elop is doing. Unfortunatly only WE see it. Big hareholders live in RDF.

They deserve this. Unfortunatly what remains isn't much better for us.

Windows Phone hasn't got half the features of it's older sibling (let alone Symbian)

Android is all gimmick and no substance

iOS is all gimmick, no substance and ridiculously expensive

Like I said we're doomed. I hope that by 2012 I don't NEED a professional communications tool anymore. Because I know I'm fucked.

6. Manu T

3,000 Symbian jobs? WTF?

3,000 Symbian jobs? Does that mean that 3000 ppl actually "worked" on that OS? What have they done? I mean, let 3000 man work on linux and you get OSX, right?

Shouldn't these guys have accomplished much more with such a enormous workforce? I understand that the entire NavTeQ staff is included in there as well, isn't it?

3000 developpers, programmers and what else?

How many ppl are working on Android? How many on Windows Phone? What's RIM's workforce? I guess it too has increased due to their sale of QNX. How many ppl are working on WebOS? Any estimates on that? El Reg?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.