Feeds

back to article So, what's the best sci-fi film never made?

Note: Nominations are now closed. Thanks for the stampede of sugestions. We're now ploughing through the lot to make the final selection for the poll. Watch this space... We know a lot of you are sci-fi buffs, and have your own personal feelings on what would make the ultimate sci-fi movie. The recent news that Paramount will …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

RE: Stormbringer movie

This has been in the works for ages. Check out some of the forums at Moorcock's Miscellany

http://www.multiverse.org

Colin

Silver badge

Cryptonomicon?

I'm not sure I'd call Cryptonomicon sci-fi. It has a few elements of sci-fi in it, true, but I think 99% of the tech was available when it was written and the other 1% was software that hadn't been written yet. Then again, it may have been written earlier than I think or I may have forgotten some of it. It's been a while since I read it.

Now Snow Crash, that would be a good sci-fi movie with the right director.

Go

+1 moorcock

just to hear that organ where the keys are hooked up to torture people who scream different notes gotta get me one of those ;-)

FAIL

Martian Chronicles isn't sci-fi

Brabury only wrote 1 Sci-Fi novel, that was Fahrenheit 451. The others were Fantasy.

http://weeklywire.com/ww/09-27-99/alibi_feat1.html

Thumb Down

So what?

http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2011/02/i-dream-of-one-day-slapping-ha.html

Foundation Series

Any of them take your pick.

Anonymous Coward

Hmmm let me think

How about a character driven story that follows some politically correct stereotypes as they come to terms with their life experiences and learn that only by mutual respect and working as a team can they overcome the challenges they confront. This could all be based on a big spaceship or in the future or something and have an educational underling plot to do with the environment, or something.

<me wakes up with a start in a cold sweat breathing heavily />

Seriously though, any one of the Dan Abnett Warhammer 40k novels, preferably Horus Rising.

Not exactly the most thought provoking sci-fi in the world but it would make a freeking awesome movie. If you want intellectual sci-fi, books are the best platform anyway.

Alien

Hmmm, makes me think of.......

The "Legacy of Heorot" by Niven, Pournelle, Barnes.

Bit "Alien", bit "Beowulf", bit "Brave New World"

Would make a rousing sci-fi flick............

Ultramarines

If this does well enough then we might just see that...

Anonymous Coward

Metropolis

It's has to be Metropolis, it started the genre.

Try reading the title again

'nuff said

Bronze badge

Metropolis?

Agghhh, no, please, not that one. If it were possible to legally enjoin studios from remaking certain films, I'd want "Metropolis" to be one of them.

Anonymous Coward

@Andrew

Are you suggesting that Metropolis isn't sci-fi? Have you even seen it?

I saw it at The Roundhouse last year, complete with orchestra, it was fantastic.

Anonymous Coward

err...

Well I have now read the title about ten times and suddenly managed to see the n in never...

So scratch metropolis and replace it with Ursula Laguin's Left hand of darkness.

Thumb Up

Proper space opera

Peter F Hamilton's Night's Dawn Trilogy. Thrills, mystery, action, romance, spaceships, pirates, gangsters, satanism, spectral possession, antimatter explosions up the wazoo (very nearly literally in one case), inter-dimensional travel, god-like aliens - it ticks every box. It'd have to be a mini-series or about 6 films (going by the Harry Potter waste-of-a-film technique of splitting up nasty big books). The Greg Mandel trilogy would probably be easier and cheaper to adapt though.

While the more cerebral, speculative side of the genre exists, it's very hard to adapt into anything that people actually want to watch.

yes indeed..

thats just what I emailed in to the link provided :)

Anonymous Coward

Greg Mandel would be a good start....

... I'd love to see Peterborough flooded!!

How about Neal Asher's books, either the Cormac novels (Mr Crane, C3-P0 with attitude?) or the Spatterjay series - Prador coring of a human could be rather interesting.

Oh, and one I nearly forgot - C Cherryh, Downbelow Station, damn I'd pay good money to see that!!

@Andy Goodair / C J Cherryh, Downbelow Station

...blimey i'd forgotten about that - good call.. time for another email...

RJ

And the other one

I never managed to get into that trilogy.

I think that Pandora's star and Judas Unchained would make a fantastic series though.

Ooh...

Um. Julian May's Saga of the Exiles would be nice; not too heavy on the S, but good visual potential. Those brightly-lit Tanu cities, the firvulag/howler mutants with their virtual bodies...

Larry Niven's Ringworld might be a goer (although how you'd get past all the exposition required to explain the properties of hulls and other exotic materials I'm not sure, but again the visuals would make up for the effort...)

On a similar note, it'd be really cool to see what Ian M Banks sees when he imagines a Culture ship, or Orbital, or Mind, so one of his Culture novels would be smart.

The danger with all of these is that I suspect the pictures might be better in my head than anything Holywood is likely to dream up. Banks' own vision of a Ship would be spectacular; the same thing visualised by Cronenburg would probably be more pedestrian...

I like this game. I may be back.

Anonymous Coward

If you're outside its field

even a GCU looks like a plain silver ellipsoid. Not a huge amount of R&D will be required for the CG on that.

A Culture movie

Would be fantastic if done well but could be awful if done badly, but I'd like to see someone try. Look to Windward would work well as a movie.

Culture ships

you wouldn't though - you'd get to see what the special effects team thought one looked like.

I doubt Iain M Banks would have any more influence than saying 'thanks' when they gave him the cheque if they did decide to adapt a book.

Silver badge

Exposition

> how you'd get past all the exposition required

The simple solution would be to not explain, if people wanted to know the ins and outs (which for a movie, I think they'd be unlikely to question) they can read the books.

As an emergency backup choice, I'd be happy with The Mote in Gods Eye or Integral Trees - both of which ask some interesting questions about society.

Go

One of his short stories is being adapted

There's a movie based on A Gift From The Culture which has just been greenlit. I think that is the best we can hope for.

The Culture novels are far too large in scope to work as movies - you'd probably just end up with a Star Wars knock-off featuring talking ships with silly names if they attempted anything more complex.

Feersum Injun

The visuals could be awesome...

Consider Phlebas....

The opening scene always plays like a movie in my head when I read it.

Welcome

Player of Games

Best Banks book, screaming out for a screenplay.

Bronze badge
Thumb Up

Another neat quality of the Culture

It would be great seeing any film in which anyone was trying to actually pronounce the names Banks comes up with for his Culture characters.

Bronze badge

Alien

I has to be Alien - although some would say it's not truly sci-fi but horror-suspense.

Happy

Pretty sure they've made that already...

Admit it, you jumped straight to the comments didn't you...

Boffin

let me be the one to ask....

How can you compete with all those human beings around you who ARE able to read?

The silliest, you say?

Has to be "Santa Claus Conquers the Martians". It was certainly the most *something*, at any rate.

Big Brother

Andous Huxley's Brave New World

Two TV adaptations, plenty of rumours about a film adaptation, including the most recent rumour of Ridley Scott directing and Leonado DiCapro starring as The Savage... but never made it to the silver screen.

Massively relevant today; just replace the genetic selection and conditioning with cloning, and it's instantly up to date; the rest of the story can stay exactly as Andous Huxley wrote.

I'd say a two-part extravaganza of Brave New World and 1984, both with Ridley Scott directing, but 1984 has already been adapted.

Aside; Centrifugal Bumblepuppy? Ten pin bowling.

Anonymous Coward

Rendezvous with Rama

But only the first one, not the others...

Alien

What others?

Next you'll be claiming there was a Highlander 2 or Star Trek 6...

title title title

Rendezvous with Rama would be my choice too.

I like the sequels but they would suck as movies. I started re-reading the set this week on the train to work.

On that note - Rediscovering that paper novels kick e-readers asses on everything other than weight/bulk which is no issue at all when you only need 1 book with you. I switched to reading e-books several years ago and liked it so stuck doing that. Seems I made the wrong choice.

Grenade

Other movies I refuse to acknowledge

"Next you'll be claiming there was a Highlander 2 or Star Trek 6..."

Or Starship Troopers.

(seriously, I'd like to see somebody who actually READ THE BOOK make Starship Troopers, but the odds of that being accepted in Hollyweird are within epsilon of being zero.)

Happy

Check this out...

Aaron Ross a student put together an 'the opening sequence' of the RAMA as a end of year project. It is hosted on Vimeo.

It was OUTSTANDING. Check it out: http://vimeo.com/1989082

Bronze badge

Powered Armour

Starship Troopers was actually made as a six-part Japanese anime series back in the late 80s. It is more faithful to the book than the movie version made later. You can perhaps find copies of it floating in the piratical seas of the Internet if you look hard, and there are rumours of a fansubbed version I understand. You can't miss it, Juan Rico has green hair.

Anonymous Coward

Starship troopers

is actually a pretty good film, it captures the political satire of the book, even if it tones it down a bit. Unfortunately it glosses over most of the actual details...

Silver badge

No question

Ringworld[1]

next question please?

[1] yes, I know you asked for emails - too bad.

Alien

Ringworld

Ringworld, by Larry Niven

Happy

Starter for 10

The "Pern" novels by Anne McCaffrey - with modern CGI, they should have no issues with the dragons.

How about "The Caves of Steel" (Asimov) - I understand that there was a TV series way back but still think the big screen could do it better justice. That could then be followed by the Foundation series, including the later stories.

What about Clarke's "Rendezvous with Rama" series? Try that in 3D!

I'd also like to see a few of Heinlein's books converted; "Stranger in a Strange Land", "Time enough for Love" etc. They could do the mucky stuff without too much bother from the censors these days. (I'm thinking of "I will fear no evil" and some steamy girl on girl action. Time for a cold shower!)

Oh yes!

Heinlein's "Have spacesuit, will travel."

Loved that book since shortly after I learned to read. It's still aces...

Happy

Stranger in a Strange Land

I don't think that it would survive the censors, at least the uncensored version. Group sex, public sex, polygamy... Seems a little "tough" for american audiences. And it has almost no gore, so even tougher to sell to the clickies target audience!

But it would make a very interesting film.

Another couple of Heinlein novels that I don't know if they could ever film without changing the basic premises are "The Sixth Column" and "Farnham's Freehold".

Bronze badge

Have Spacesuit, Will Travel?

One of the few stories ostensibly directed at boys which I still enjoyed as an adult. It seemed far-fetched back when I first read it (mid '60s-ish) but now not so much, after having seen reports of people having bought complete Project Gemini training/backup suits in antique shops for pennies on the dollar as the antique dealers didn't realize what they had (somewhre in Georgia in the mid '90s, iirc). But, yeah... that might be a really good one. Get the prop shop that made the prop Apollo suits for "From The Earth To The Moon" to work on it, so it looks like a proper spacesuit -- but not the Shuttle launch/entry "pumpkin suits", they just don't look "cool" enough.

Actually, now that I think of it... I was also a big "Tom Corbett, Space Cadet" fan as a young boy; given the current state of the art in film effects, and the state of the art in space tech, and what we now know about the solar system, I think the right director could make a helluva picture out of "Stand By For Mars" (iirc, the story where Tom & pals are first accepted at the Academy).

Alert

Motherf........

Not sure the whole going back in time having sex with your mother would get past the censors, but you never know. 'time enough for love'. I like Heinlein's work but he had some serious kinks when it came to his female characters.

Paris Hilton

Heinlein books...

@Michael Xion - Not sure the whole going back in time having sex with your mother would get past the censors, but you never know. 'time enough for love'.

Might have to produce two versions of the "Time Enough for Love" stories ... one to get past the censors for theater release, and another for direct to DVD release, uncensored. Either that or just leave out or play down a couple of the scenes, like with his mother.

I've read all of them several times, and still like to read them every couple of years... Yeah, I know, I'm a dirty old man, just like Woody, but without the long life to enjoy all of it..

Paris, because we don't have J Lo to fantasize about...

@Jose Bernardo B R Silva

Farnham's Freehold irritated the hell out of me, as does around half of Heinlein's work. I think it's his staunchly libertarian protagonists, they're annoying as all hell.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.