There are now more Playstation 3s out there than Xbox 360s, it has been claimed. Market watcher Strategy Analytics said the Sony console's installed base hit 43.4m units worldwide at the end of 2010, just ahead of the 360's total, 42.9m. That puts Sony a little over one percentage point ahead, and it's still well behind the Wii …
Most people I know have Xbox.
At least in our trailer-park.
Someone did tell me once that people with jobs actually bought PS3.
More PS3's here
I'm UK based.
Looking around my team at work (yes... it is an IT team), we have 7 PS3's and 1 person owns an Xbox360 too. 4 WIIs, one of these also has a PS3.
Of my console enabled friends, there are 5 PS3's and 1 person owns an Xbox 360 too and a WII too. There are another 2 people with WIIs.
Totals: 12 x PS3, 2 Xboxs and 6 WIIs.
Beer because it is Friday.
Our work is unrepresentative
One PC gamer
One PS2 owner
a few no games
One PS3 PS2 Wii household (I didn't buy the Wii my wife did)
In our tech company
It's 90% (at least) with PS3.
But then we are all smart people, not braindead morons that buy whatever the television or Internet tells them to buy...
methinks its an age thing. I have a bunch of friends, all oldies, they all have a PS3 (one has a 360 as well). I think though the kids have 360s.
... who knows umpteen 360 owners and maybe two or three PS3 owners here.
And in regards to #2 - We have Forza for a racing game. GT is a car collecting game, like Pokemon.
Either way, real racers play on PC on rFactor or iRacing.
You know nothing..
GT5 is not a collecting game...
Why not actually BUY and PS3 and GT5, you will then understand what you are missing out on, rather than relying on information from Microsoft and their industry partners for your information.
Was bound to happen
I predicted back in 2006 that the PS3 would win in the end. The biggest reason for this is that it's not a games console, it's an entertainment centre. The sheer scope of capabilities means that you really don't need anything else. It does BD, DVD, music, On Demand TV, Lovefilm, oh and games too. I've paired mine with a ReadyNAS to stream from and there really isn't anything it can't handle.
Granted it's more expensive, but it isn't a toy and has enough capabilities to more than earn it's spot in the living room. Xbox tend to live in bedrooms.
The high quality of exclusive games such as Demons' Souls and Little Big Planet is a good selling point as well.
Yayyyyy PS3 finally won.......
...just as its time ro replace them all.
Well done. Better late then never eh?
Five more years from the PS3....hilarious.
18 months at best.
However, both console and PC gaming has hit a plateau for some time now. After all where are the next generation of consoles going to take us?
Resistance 8 - Is Futile and COD:8 Pantyraid!
Not a bright future for gaming whichever avenue you take.
Microsoft uses the term "sold" as sold to retailer (not sold to consumer).
Sony use the term "sold" as sold to consumer, and shipped as sold to retailer.
Both Sony and Microsoft have SHIPPED over 50m consoles to retailers, according to their end-of-year reports.
This report talks about SOLD to end users, where the PS3 is king....
Having trouble digesting this?
As clearly Microsoft have been telling people otherwise for so long, people actually believe their twisted lies.
Firstly these numbers are real (and they were released yesterday, so clearly no April fool).
Secondly, they don't even attempt to factor in how many Xboxes have failed due to RROD. (30%+ is a very conservative estimate).
I can understand why it hurts so much, as Xbox fanboys have enjoyed making childish comments for so long, about how the PS3 is languishing in last place, when infact it's their tired-old 200-tech console that's now fading away, since the decent games dried up over 18 months ago.
If you had read the actual article, you would see that they are counting *active* consoles, not *sold* consoles. Never mind if they are "sold" (shipped) or actually sold. Sadly, my PS3 is probably not in this count thanks to the OtherOS brouhaha. Or maybe it is ... because it still pings the PSN/Sony's servers every now and then.
MS numbers are definitely skewed, especially because those who bought RRoD replacements are counted.
UK Office straw poll
My office, 5 people:
Interestingly the two of us who own a PS3 and a Wii tend to flit between the two.
Amongst my friends a few PS3 owners (4 or 5) no XBoxs
It would be interesting seeing how many games, accessories, etc. the install base for each console generates though.
I have both a PS3 and an X360. One has a ton of games, controllers, subscriptions and DLC associated with it. The other has been mostly relegated to Blu-Ray player and occasional dust gatherer. Which is the thing - it's got a clunky user interface, an unbelievably shonky iPlayer client that seems to have been designed without the use case "watch a programme", and I've spent more time being amused by how bad GT5 is than I've spent being amused by it as a game... but for the price, certainly for the first few years of its life, you'd be hard-pressed to buy a better Blu-Ray and upscaling DVD player for the price than Sony's gaming machine.
This is pretty much the case in most of the multi-console households I know; the "Microsoft" corner is a huge stack of games, the "Sony" corner is an exclusive or two and the Blu-Ray remote. That may be sampling bias though.
We got a PS3, 360 and Wii.
The Wii I dont talk about and it barely gets any use. Its the wife's console. Gets a bit of Wii Fit but other than that its a space wasting piece of white plastic.
Both the PS3 and 360 get a fair amount of use.
We got a lot of games for the PS3 and 1/2 dozen for the 360. The PS3 is probably the family console and mine, the 360 is exclusively my son as I'm not interested in playing Halo 3, Halo Wars, Halo Reach, Halo ODST, etc... which seems to be pretty much mostly what my son and his friends play.
Odd about your comment on GT5 but hey, whatever floats your boat. I'm a big fan of the GT series. Its not perfect from a game play point of view but I've had more than my value from it. Oddly enough so have all the friends that i know that got it too. But I can see its not your thing.
Regardless of my self professed fan-boi PS3 attitude, I geniuninely think the PS3 is a good console. Here is why:
- The console is locked down so if you play online you arent playing against cheats,
- Its multi-purpose - I use it a media player as well as console. 50% of its use is a media player
- Some of the games seem to look nicer on the PS3. We got Assassine Creed on the PS3 and Assassins Creed Brotherhood on the 360. The PS3 picture looks better. So much so that my wife commented on it. Could be our 360 setup but Ive seen other 360 and seems the same as ours. Who knows...
- The PS3 is a tidier piece of kit. Doesnt have the massive power supply like the 360.
- I can play online on the PS3 for free. I've had to subscribe to Live Gold to get my son playing with his friend.
- I dont think the 360 in real terms is any cheaper. Could be the 360 caught up but when we got the 360 it came without wifi, hard drive, blu-ray, controller didnt have rechargeable batteries. All those are standard on a PS3 - so price comparison isnt right.
- The blu-ray player isnt just about playing films. Its also about playing without changing disks. Its seem very primative playing a game and having to change half way through on the 360. I believe that some games you can install on the HD (if you've bought one) but some you still have to insert the disks... doohhh
- I would like to mention reliability of both consoles. Actually from personal experience, the 360 been fine, the PS3 blue-ray died on US but I had one of the orignal fat / 4 USB consoles. Statisticially though, the PS3 is more reliable. Out of all the people I know that own a 360 , I only know one other person other than ourselves whose 360 hasnt died. Some have had several 360s.
So there, here is the first serious salvo on the 360 vs PS3 fan-boi wars lol.....
More xbox's here, nearly everybody I know has one, one or two have a PS3.
Fanboys or paid staff?
as the title says!
"We've all heard about employees being sacked for blogging. But as the fad begins to wane, will staff soon be sacked for failing to blog?
Last week, Sony BMG UK issued a new corporate marketing strategy.
According to an official release from the group, Ged Doherty, chairman and chief executive of SonyBMG in UK and Ireland, said the company "has made it obligatory for all senior staff at both Columbia Records and RCA Records to start blogging actively".
So what happens to staff who refuse to toe the corporate line, or perhaps fail to produce the required quantity of blog blather?
We had to find out.
A spokesperson for SonyBMG told us "you won't be sacked for failing to blog", but added, rather ominously: "If you don't blog, it's going to be frowned upon. Ged has made it clear that staff are expected to blog and participate in the community. He sees it as part of people's jobs.""
XBox Live fail is the reason
Thing about the PS3 is, Sony is aggressive with launching and making the PSN available worldwide, while MS has failed to launch the XBox Live outside of the 1/3 of the world they consider advanced enough. This has made the 360 less interesting in these parts of the world since it can't do what the PS3 can.
Skewed by Japan?
Seriously? Sales are sales, not matter where they are. That'd be like saying the 360's sales are skewed because of the States
Genuinely surprised though (and pleased) - It's taken a while to get them there but Sony did it in the end. Just need to start setting sights on the Wii now!!
FWIW - I've got both and most of the peeps I know have a PS3, but this was still a surprise
a few points from what ive seen in here. i will try not to be a fanboy :) i own a ps3 and have owned psx, ps2 too.
@ "Working on the games counter at HMV over christmas, my experience was that 360 games massively outsold ps3 ones. However, that does limit the view to a single (struggling) highstreet store... online sales with the likes of play.com could be different.
Of course, DS titles outsold all of them by an even higher margin"
- most of my mates who own ps3s actually buy online. i guess ps3 is made for a slightly older user base. all my mates who have consoles have ps3s - one has an xbox too. all of us are over 30 apart from the guy who has an xbox
@ "Everyone I know who has a PS3 is using it almost exclusively as a Blu-Ray player because they feel they've been stiffed by Sony. The games are frequently more expensive than those on the 360 and rarely as good featuring cruddy frame rates and murky textures. I don't think I've bought a game for mine in nearly a year"
- i dunno, i think some cross platform games might be like that, but the exclusives have often been brilliant. killzone 3 and the drakes games look stunning. drake's looks better than anything ive seen on the xbox
i personally think sony's move is the best of the new style motion controllers. much more responsive than a wii (plus better games). the kinect just cannot do what i want from a motion controller. killzone 3 with move and sharpshooter is great fun and the best FPS fun ive had in years. now, if i can use it for something like battlefield 3 on the pc when its launched i will be having serious fun with that!
@ "and have been caught out by dual format games being only 720p on the PS3 when they're 1080p on the Xbox (Fallout 3 and Colin McRae Dirt 2 spring to mind). I thought it would gradually die out but a quick check in Game the other week showed that new releases are still suffering from this"
- maybe because they are upscaled? hardly any games out there are in fact true 1080p. most are 720p upscaled - sometimes even less!
the wii has had its day. glorified gamecube with 90s graphics and very few decent titles. everyone i know has sold theirs
got to laugh at some of the blatent fanboism here. both consoles are good for the money and have their ups and downs.
- Top Gear Tigers and Bingo Boilers: Farewell then, Phones4U
- Analysis iPhone 6: The final straw for Android makers eaten alive by the data parasite?
- Stephen Pie iPhone 6: Most exquisite MOBILE? No. It is the Most Exquisite THING. EVER
- First Crack Bloke buys iPHONE 6 and DROPS IT to SMASH on PURPOSE
- Early result from Scots indyref vote? NAW, Jimmy - it's a SCAM