Feeds

back to article Channel Islands VAT loophole shut, petrol prices cut

Osborne said he was accepting Lord Hutton's pension recommendations as the basis for future discussion to reform complex rules and taxation. Personal tax and duties: Gift Aid will be made easier – charities will be able to file online. People will be able to hand over works of art in exchange for tax rebates. There will be …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Anonymous Coward

TSZR

You may pay roadtax but I have to pay the local council tax that actualy sorts the roads that aintprefix labeled `M`. I also don;t drive and as such reserve the right to think your all a bunch of cnuts so :p.

But yeah to the "I own a 4x4 and can travel in snow", you go girl, wahooo.

Grenade

Pffft, that's nothing.

"I'm the one who was smiling when I got home each time over the Christmas period when there was snow down here and everyone else was left stranded on the roads and at the foot of hills. I pay the inflated road tax and pay the same for my diesel as everyone else - I also use no more than most average 2x4's."

I'm the one who was smiling when I got home each time over the Christmas period when there was snow and ice stranding people on the roads everywhere as well, and it didn't cost me a penny in road fund licence or fuel, or make any significant contribution to pollution.

I walked.

Bronze badge

Wow

would you look at that

Another 4x4 driver who posts as AC

I guess they tint their windows because they are finally realising that other people arnt envying them. Its actually sneers and the smiles are because others know how much it costs for them to fill up.

A.C.

For the win!

FAIL

I personally have no problem with 4x4s

Its a free country and all that - but I wish they would go on a bloody course on how to fucking park them.

Bronze badge
Joke

@jim

but I wish they would go on a bloody course on how to fucking park them.

Then you do actually have a problem with them :P

Bronze badge
FAIL

that famly word again

"Osborne said the price of petrol has become an increasing problem for families and businesses"

...I very very rarely see a family in a car and never on the daily commute.

Anonymous Coward

Next tax bill they get a drawing in return

So does this mean one can pay tere TAX bill with that priceless work of art one's five year old did last summer.

In further news Banksey can claim if he's ever arrested that he's paying a TAX bill :).

Paris Hilton

Muppets

This truly is a country of Muppets. All this whining about petrol prices when beer is more expensive.

Paris - 'cause even she has more sense

Stop

public transport impracticle

Back when we had the fuel protests, I looked into using public transport to get to work as I do live in a (small) city and worked in a town, both with a train station. My office was 30 miles away and I could do door to door by car in 35 minutes.

However the rail network being what it is where most lines point towards London and not in the direction I needed, I would have to catch 3 trains in both the morning and the evening. A 15 minute walk at the office end and a 25 minute walk at my home end (because the local buses didn't operate so early or so late in the day). It meant my commute would have gone from 35 minutes to over 3 hours!!! (remember my office was only 30 miles away)

About 6.5 hours a day commuting with public transport or a bit over an hour by private car (and probably a lot cheaper still too).

Even now, my current work is a mere 8 miles (about 13 minutes) away by road yet I'd need a bus, 2 trains, another bus and then a bit of a walk just to get to work (and obviously the same on the homeward trip). (Even a bicycle beats public transport on this trip and I might use one if I didn't have to carry tools and a laptop with me and get to work so early)

So, personal car or public transport, guess which wins my vote.

Thumb Up

Ditto...

No option to commute by train.

Bicycle possible but then that's not public transport unless I "borrow" someone else's.

Workplace is 4 miles from home depending on route.

Commute by car: 20 mins per day

Commute by bus: 140 mins per day using 2 buses, 10 mins walk in between

Costs by car: £7 per week *

Costs by bus: £4.20 per day **

* fuel only, based on self-calculated cold running MPG. I'm deliberately not including vehicle excise duty, insurance or maintenance as I'd still own and run the car even if I commuted by bus

** to be fair a weekly ticket would "only" cost £10, but that would make the difference in costs less sensationalist

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.