back to article HBGary's nemesis is a '16-year-old schoolgirl'

Forbes has bagged an interview with the "teenage girl" who supposedly played a key role in hacking security firm HBGary on behalf of Anonymous. HBGary Federal earned the enmity of the loosely knit hacker collective by threatening to expose its membership at the B-Sides security conference last month. The security consultancy …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re

When did we decide criminals are cool? Right around the time we named a day after MLK.

2. Asgard
      WTF?

@Morpho Devilpepper

Morpho Devilpepper, "When did we all decide that criminal acts are cool as long as some authority figure is embarrassed by it"

When did you decide Morpho Devilpepper, that some authority figure cannot be a criminal, because many people do believe acts to expose them are justified. (Also authority figures by definition are the people who choose what to label as a criminal act and history is full of examples of crooked authority figures who use their power for their own gain, including trying to stop people exposing them as crooked).

Morpho Devilpepper, "a bunch of script kiddies who couldn't spell their own names if their lives depended on it"

Strange how you wish to imply they are stupid (i.e. can't spell their own names), yet very evidently they are smart enough to be a hacker. The evidence weighs heavily against your attempts to misrepresent them, but then the question becomes why do you seek to misrepresent them and in such a derogatory way?. What do you gain from misrepresenting them and trying to put them down so much? Also your attempts to misrepresent them is very obvious evidence of duplicity. From the dictionary, a “lie”, defined as a deliberate intent to deceive. In fact your whole post is filled with attempts to put them down and misrepresent them all as so bad, so why? Some of what they expose is very good to know and important to know, for example, “a pitch by HBGary to run a dirty tricks campaign against WikiLeaks on behalf of the Bank of America.”

One thing is certain Morpho Devilpepper and that is you are very evidently someone who is willing to use duplicitous misrepresentations of people to get your own way. But then two-faced people like you have a lot to worry about the world becoming a place where your kind can be exposed as duplicitous manipulators and liars. Therefore its no wonder the idea of crooked lying authority figures being exposed as liars would cut you deeply, as liars always fear the truth being exposed. The idea of a world where liars could be increasingly exposed (often by hackers) must scare you deeply. Too bad for you, as you were born in the wrong century. Increasing numbers of people have only just begun to expose the liars of this world. :) … Welcome to the Internet generation. :)

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just a wild guess

I expect some folks will go to prison for hacking HBGary. Anonymous won't be so happy then.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Fail to understand anon

Anon will be very happy and find it hilarious when people go down for it, much as they always are, but it's not like they messed with football this time.

2. Mike Powers
    WTF?

Oh jeez

"Each night she wipes every one of her web accounts and deletes every email in her inbox," Forbes reports. "She has no physical hard drive and boots her computer from a microSD card," it adds."

Seriously? This sounds like the breathless "CYBER-HACKING" stories that we heard back in the early Nineties, when people thought that sending someone an email could make your computer explode, when people thought that European teenagers buzzed on sugar water and were stealing people's bank accounts and taking control of nuclear-missile silos.

She "wipes her web accounts"? What does that even *mean*?

1. Scorchio!!
      Happy

Re: Oh jeez

"She "wipes her web accounts"? What does that even *mean*?"

Tissue, water, screen. There, all internets gone now daddeh!

Of course the 'web accounts' don't have logs, do they? Oh no and, even if they did, she would 'wipe them'.

It may take a while to deal with the anon crowd but some hard lessons will be learned over the next few months and possibly years.

2. gollux
      Grenade

Easy explanation...

She also probably can see Russia from her back yard and is probably related to the great AK Mayor, Partial term governor and failed Vice Prez wannabe who can...

3. tuna 1
    Black Helicopters

Yeah. Me, Too!

I am also a wizard, 1337 and my mom rents the above-ground structure from me.

4. a_been
    Happy

Anonymous vouches for Kayla!

"16-year-old girl called Kayla", 2 memes in 1 and of course she "deletes everything". Somewhare in the backend of the internet people are laughing.

1. The Original Ash

Don't forget

She does all this behind seven proxies.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

pity the fool

That only uses 6 proxies.

With over 9000 internet agents chasing her that 7th proxy will make all the difference.

I'll be out back, with the party van. o shi-

ahh the old days.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Randall Munroe knows best

http://xkcd.com/342/

6. Pet Peeve
    Coffee/keyboard

Uh huh

And I'm sure she browses the web from behind 7 proxies, too.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Kayla...

is actually Boxxy...

So for those of you who don't think she's leet, think again!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

And for the rest of you...

... who couldn't care about whether she's deluded herself into thinking that being able to drive a computer and commit crimes with it makes her something special... don't bother thinking about it at all.

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Unhappy

AC@09:48

OK, *now* I'm scared.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Eric the SD card

DO

YOU

WANT

TO

PLAY

A

GAME....?

9. John Tserkezis

I call bullshit on this one.

16yo Kayla is actually a fat 40 year old lesbian truck driver called Frank.

Posing as a 16yo girl on F*c*book, ending up being caught up in this mess.

Opted to play along instead of being outed.

Now, *that* I can believe.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Script Kiddies of the Revolution

The post is required, and must contain letters.

11. unitron
    Coat

Yeah, right...

And her real name is

Lisbeth Salander

Mine's the one without the third paperback in the pocket yet.

12. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Have we forgotten the most important thing?

Underage b&.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Xyrix had a few things to say about this.

"Kayla is a troll who bought my old msn i used for irc from mike virus and started pretending she was me. She did it so often that she wound up on my ED page for trolling some admins on an irc. I don't know the bitch, and have never talked to her in my life. Ironically she's friends with d0ct0r though."

14. The Beer Monster
    Coat

There is no truth

...in the rumour that Rush are to release a new album called 2011 with a track titled "The Temples of Xyrix" either.

1. lpopman
      Thumb Up

titular musings

Yep. With Banks of mighty computers, that dwell within the halls ;)

Wow, I must be getting old.....

15. Shane Kent

My comment had nothing to do with...

her being a girl. In fact I pointed out how I question the young BOY that took down CNN, etc.

And it should be againt the law to hack someones email account, the same as it is with postal mail. If I take someones postal mail I am a criminal. And if I plan out taking people's postal mail that makes me an orgainized criminal.

Just seems weird to me the father knows and doesn't care what the daughter does.

I am not pro government and industry screwing poeple, but I sure am pro privacy.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That's not Kayla...

...with her leet skills of deleting her email and web accounts it sounds more like Carolyn C Meinel...

17. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

RULES 1 & 2

DO YOU KNOW THEM?!

Apparently it would seem that Mr. Leyden does not...

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I just saw this old Midsomer Murders episode....

.... where a computer game was rewritten by a 9-yo boy.

So a 16-yo must be able to hack HBGary. So this story must be true.

19. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
      Stop

Quoth the liberal armchair warrior.

(See title)

20. Peter Rowan

I'm Brian

No, I'm only joking. I'm not really Brian. No, I'm not Brian. I was only - It was a joke. I'm only pulling your leg! It's a joke! I'm not him! I'm just having you on! Put me back! Bloody Romans! Can't take a joke!

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like