back to article London man gets 5 years for YouTube terror videos

A London man who created extremist videos and loaded them onto the internet was jailed for five years today. Mohammed Gul, a 23-year-old from Elm Park Avenue, Hornchurch, was found guilty of five counts of dissemination of terrorist publications contrary to section 2 of the the Terrorism Act 2006 after a trial at the Old …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Somerset John
    IT Angle

Yanks commenting on Brit justice?

Wasn't someone in USA just given 25 years for a not entirely dissimilar set of offenses?

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Jury of peers?

I doubt very much that the jury in anyway represented his peers.

I'm betting the jury consisted of white middle class property owners on the electroral register who had the sort of stable jobs that they could take the time off and the sort of attitude that meant they wanted to be on a jury (it's ridiculously easy to get off one)

I would love all trials of police officers to have a jury of black teenagers - just for some balance.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

I agree with the decision... but...

20 years ago, I certainly wouldn't have agreed.

Age often brings on a leaning toward the conservative, or possibly to the logical - however unfair that may appear.

Freedom of speech is fantastic, until it starts to trample on the freedom of people - incitement of hatred, incitement to commit acts of violence against innocents - sorry, you just lost your freedom of speech.

Yep, it's ironic, but in my book, I'd rather err on the side of caution.

If you had a mate who continually banged on about how he was going to 'teach someone a lesson', 'get a gun', 'blow up something' - and you could sense they were serious, what would you do?

You'd probably keep it quiet and try and talk the bloke down, but eventually, if it continues, you'd alert the authorities.

It's clear this guy was serious about his misguided beliefs - would you want to trust his 'freedom of speech'? - would you want to risk even the slight possibility of another 7/7 ?

Didn't think so...

There's a massive difference between works of fiction, the views of established writers who are in the public domain and a lone nutter.

As much as I disagree with a great deal of the methods our government employs against protestors, demonstrators, the abuse of the special powers they have related to terrorism, in this case, I'd agree with them.

God, I'm getting old...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

" one person shouldn't be able to decide for others what is "wrong","

I'd love to have the choice as to whether I eat halal meat or not............. (try asking at the supermarket)

I do not understand why we have to tolerate the intolerant, and allow them to change our country, and the way we live.

5. bugalugs
    Happy

Tolerance

is that part of our response to other's behaviour on the nice side of the line each of us draws.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Greenpeace is technically a terrorist organisation!

Terrorism in the UK is described as, "encouraging people to damage property or incite hatred for idealogical purposes", that covers trying to damage whaling ships and driving spikes into trees in the forests, to break logger's tools!

So next time you see someone distributing those leaflets or "chuggers" trying to sign people up to Greenpeace on street corners, a quick call to the Rozzers may be in order!

With my Greenpeace donations every month to save the cuddly polar bears, seals and penguins I have actually been funding terrorism! Arrghhh!

7. Aggellos
    IT Angle

internet v's old media

I find this whole topic odd how would we feel if this was done with old media and passed to the Public Domian, obscene publication ,public disorder, breach of the peace, this whole internet freedom garbage is for the misinformed and deluded.

every forum, social networking site , blog even this old rag the reg is all about the opinions of whoever controls it and what is allowed to be discussed is up to those in charge, why do we feel the internet is some how different ?, you can be convicted of hate crimes, stalking, pedophilla,fraud, libel online or offline.

would this story have had a different taste to it, if the man in question was white and a member of the kkk and propogating racism by unploading images of the executions of people of a certain race of skin colour or any of the other actions the gentlemen in question had taken but in a racist theme rather than religous.

8. Mark .

Least of their problems...

"Seems to me that if watching incindiary vids is enough to inspire much of the populace to violence, they've got bigger problems than this guy"

Don't give them ideas! I'm surprised Governments haven't started making possession illegal, claiming merely watching videos turns people into criminals... (as with Section 63).

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Another one bites the dust

It ain't smart to plot against society.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like