back to article Italian white van man nudges sound barrier

An Italian driver faces a €165 fine and three points off his licence for impressively nudging the speed of sound in a Fiat Doblo. The white van speed merchant was clocked gunning it in the small town of Orio, west of Brindisi, in the heel of Italy's boot. Cops were somewhat surprised to record his speed as 1,230 km/h, meaning …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's not.

The Spanish newspaper quotes La Repubblica. A case of unfortunate phrasing.

1. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Europe doesn't use a decimal point.

One thousand point three in English is 1,000.3 but in Italian I think it's 1.000,3 so there is scope for confusion, particularly with equipment sold across the single European market. I think the SI formula is "1 000,3" where the decimal indicator is your own choice.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

He must've been.....

....trying to RUN AWAY from something!!

Well, he is Italian!

(Flames and messages of xenophobic hatred to Top Gear c/o BBC2)

1. Richard 120

Shirley

that would have worked better if he was French?

1. IsJustabloke

I refuse to enoble a simple forum post!

Don't be silly, the *FRENCH* would have been standing quite still, hands in the air....

2. Cliff

Do you mind?!

Italian stereotypes should be limited to Mafia and spaghetti themes. Do you know nothing?!

3. asdf
      Flame

well

perhaps she runs faster than her father. That is why she is still Italian virgin oil.

3. Chas
    Happy

Err...

@Annihilator

The problem with the fella tailgating Thrust SSC is that when Andy Greene bangs on the afterburner, he'll go from regular to extra crispy in about half a second...

Wait a minute... on second thoughts...

<searches frantically on eBay for a second-hand Rolls-Royce Spey />

=:~)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

Funny Story...

Back in my military days I saw a hilarious incident with a radar speed gun. I was the officer in charge of the section that did all the calibration of electronic measuring equipment. It was a standing order that all electronic measuring equipment had to be recalibrated at least every year. We would then put a little sticker on the equipment with the date of calibration on it.

The Military Police got themselves a new speed gun and promptly caught my Warrant Officer speeding on base. His first question to the Military Police was, "When was that device last calibrated." The MP Corporal looked blank since it had never been calibrated. As soon as my Warrant Officer knew this he confiscated the speed gun.

Funny stories aside, because these speed guns usually work on a doppler effect it is actually very hard go get a frequency shift large enough to cause an error of this magnitude. Even if you happen to hit a moving part in the engine, or moving parts on the wheels, none of these parts can be doing anything close to the speed of sound. This means in this case it is likely to be either a faulty radar, or interference. The latter is very likely if the radar gun in question is X band.

1. Stevie

Bah!

Around thirty years ago some UK plod were getting (and attempting to prosecute on the basis of) similar stupid numbers. It turned out that they were "gunning" people on a stretch of road that paralleled an airfield runway. The high speeds were, of course, down to the jets making their run for takeoff as the cars passed.

Naturally, the police were unaware of the potential for erroneous pings in such situations and had picked the spot "randomly".

It took ages before anyone successfully challenged a prosecution because the five-o were careful not to submit anything *too* outrageous for further action.

1. Cliff

rotation speed

is typically 70-100-ish knots IAS (Indicated Air Speed - so if there's a headwind as is usual, this will mean the ground speed is correspondingly slower) - I doubt any civil craft were taking off at 500kts ;-)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Imagine what sort of speed he could have got to

had he got as far as second gear

6. C 2
    Alert

WOW, they've gone plaid!

Just a bit faster than ridiculous speed then ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk7VWcuVOf0

7. Velv

Top Gear

Of course its possible.

Look at the Ford Transit on Top Gear in the race against the Aussies.

If a Transit can beat a Ute, then a Doblo can beat a Transit!

8. Pete 2 Silver badge

Quite possible

If the person with the speed gun was traveling at 1100kph in the other direction.

9. VeganVegan
    Grenade

Fiddly radar

Anyone remember back in 1961, when the US early warning radar system saw the moon rise but thought it was a doomsday salvo from the soviets?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Fiddly radar

"Anyone remember back in 1961, when the US early warning radar system saw the moon rise but thought it was a doomsday salvo from the soviets?"

Or the Russians nearly mistaking the rising sun for a salvo from the Americans in 1983? We owe a lot to Stanislav Petrov:

http://geoffolson.com/page5/page8/page24/page24.html

2. disgruntled yank

Indeed I do

As I recall, the Pentagon unclenched after noting that a) Kruschev was in town for a summit, and this seemed a bit violent for a Politburo reshuffle; b) the calculated ETA of the missiles was "never"; c) the calculated target was "nowhere on earth."

10. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Guilty!

One has to hope that he opted to go to court and enter a plea of GUILTY to the charge.

If nothing else, he then gets into the record books....

11. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

this is the

2 litre petrol injection engine

12. John Savard

Puzzling

Noting that the Fiat Dobro is a family van, and not an exotic sports car, I have to think that the story, or the police radar, are in error.

Andy Green, in the Thrust SSC, did drive a motor vehicle at a speed over that of sound... 1227.986 km/h... in Black Rock Desert, not on the highway. However, his vehicle was of specialized construction, having turbofans.

Ah, and even though this happened in the U.S. of A., you Brits can be proud - he's an RAF pilot!

1. Phil the Geek

Feel the force

If you ever have an hour to kill in Coventry, go to the Transport Museum - Thrust SSC is there along with the control caravan. They also have a simulator where you get a mild impression of what Andy Green felt. It was a brutally fast car - I guarantee you will grin when you see the speedo numbers flash by as it gets into its stride.

13. Fuh Quit
    Thumb Up

What is annoying is the leniency of the fine

If you managed that speed in the UK, you'd be looking at a 56-day ban :-D

€165 is a bargain and Italy is 20 minutes drive from me. I know what I'm doing this arvo!!

14. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

To the author, unfortunate ACs, their antagonists, and others speculating

It seems to be general consesus that there must be some error in the claim of such massive speed. However, isn't the point that the person writing the article should have reported on what the mistake was, rather than presenting the quite obvoiusly false information as fact?

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: To the author, unfortunate ACs, their antagonists, and others speculating

You mean a Fiat Doblo can't actually reach the speed of sound? Blast, I've just paid a deposit a second-hand one for just that reason. (Tints, alloy wheels, one careful owner, afterburner)

1. MrT
        Thumb Up

"Alloy Wheels"

That'd be the solid alloy, no-tyre-at-all option then ;-)

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: "Alloy Wheels"

Yup, 97 per cent titanium/aluminium with three per cent pedantium thrown in to prevent catastrophic high-speed sense of humour failure.

15. Geoff Johnson

Just short of breaking the sound barrier.

He beat thrust SSC by just over 2kph. Therefore he must have broken the sound barrier.

If only he could have gone the other way too, he would have the land speed record and two speeding tickets.

1. min

the speed of sound

would be dependant on said Doblo's immediate environs being at a certain pressure/temperature. therefore it could theoretically have been moving faster than our Thrust SSC, but still not have broken the 'sound barrier'.

wuold've done a great job melting up the roads though.

16. Wize

Was the number 1230 anywhere on the van?

Or was the time 12:30?

The 406 which was clocked at 406MPH (not 653k/h as it was in the UK) probably had someone reading the wrong number

17. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

If we're going to be picky...

...The town's called Oria, not 'Orio'

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like