back to article Marry Microsoft, analyst tells Nokia

In what looks suspiciously like part of a carefully-planned PR campaign, an investment analyst who follows Nokia has written to Microsoft and Nokia urging them to form a partnership. The memo, from Berenberg Bank's Adnaan Ahmad, recommends Nokia sign an exclusive partnership with Microsoft for Windows Phone 7, and was obtained …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. pan2008

meego

Looks like meego is a noGO. For me it seems that after spending tones of money on meego is still not as good as they thought. That’s my suspicion, from videos I’ve seen didn’t look great. They must do something. So what are the other options?

Spend more money on meego.

Develop another brand new platform.

Go with Android or WP7.

WP7 is the best consumer mobile platform right now, maybe restricted blah but for Joe public is good. Android is slow, ios is not an option. There is no other option left for nokia. End of the day if WP7 doesn't work well for them they can go with something else. Still saves them more money that they need badly now...

2. AB
    WTF?

pan2008: details please

Why is Meego a noGO? You've seen some videos which "didn't look great"? What videos? What didn't look great? How would abandoning their almost-complete roadmap "save [Nokia] more money"?

Actually, why am I even asking these questions? You stated (presumably without irony?) that "WP7 is the best consumer mobile platform right now". Does anyone actually believe that? Why is it "the best"?

At least you're not blindly promoting Android.

3. gnufreex

Elop might be a Belluzzo

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=belluzzo

4. Ubuntu Is a Better Slide Rule
    Stop

This Man Elop

..clearly does not have an opinion of his own.

Steve Jobs is a certified moron, but a moron who is dedicated to his products, who cares about every little detail.

Elop is just doing idle talk; he is not able to give firm order to the troops. Instead he is weighing options in public.

Let me suggest a very simple strategy:

1.) Define an extremely simple hardware standard: ARM+ audio + framebuffer video + Internet communications capability + telephone capability.

2.) Define a simplistic Linux or BSD running on 1.)

3.) Based on 1.) and 2.) create C++-based products with polished user experience. Focus on the product, not on grand strategies. Each product line has a single responsible manager, not this matrix-crap-org.

4.) Share 1.) and 2.) with world+dog, as IBM did with the PC.

5.) For spaghettimonster's sake, stop all that beancounting to "determine user satisfaction". Instead, get a fscking Iphone, and Android and a Nokiaphone and let real users play with it. Talk to them. Watch them. Forget all that beancounting. A product line manager has to talk to his users, not to analyze beancounting ("statistics").

5. illiad

too late???

well it is gone now, so I'll just say, we will have to wait and see what happens...

No, I'm not against MS, but the problem is no more linux development - I think it is too much to think they will actually use the resources nokia has... but then..

The point is, MS windows is quite awful, complex, to make sure old programs etc still work..

BUT! have you tried getting support for some tiny feature of android or linux, and not spent *ages* pointlessy?? Not so with MS, they have all the info in one place, good for the utter newbies, but...

MS provides very good support for all the utter newbies that use it, and also makes wonderful flashy ads, to convince those people that it is the best thing ever...

EVEN THOUGH those same people will NEVER use any of that stuff, only use it for Internet.

Because all the shops are paid to sell it, this is what most will get.. an overloaded PC full of "aren't we clever/ professional / fancy/ full of apps/ dynamic " stuff, that are NEVER used!!!!

So Nokia with MS OS may well sell to those sort of people that believe the ads... trouble is, many others have got there first!!

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like