Feeds

back to article PSP 2 'as powerful as PS3'

The PSP 2 - or "Next Generation Portable", as Sony has codenamed it for now - has officially been revealed in Tokyo today, and the company claims it's as powerful as the PS3. As rumoured, the PSP 2 - sorry, NGP - has a high-res OLED touchscreen as well as a touch-sensitive back panel. It features front- and rear-facing cameras, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

MJI
Silver badge

They are trying to make us buy it.

A new Uncharted no less.

If it is any good (as it is not a Naughty Dog production) it will be a system seller.

Troll

Sony will have their arse handed to them on a plate by Nintendo.

For a THIRD time.

Badgers

@ Bub

To be fair Bub, i think that the majority of the market isnt with you on that one. And i think that the fact that the PSP (barring a few stand out titles as has been pointed out) died on its arse; somewhat bears out the fact that the "Micro games" approach used by the iPhone and to a lesser extent the DS is winning on handhelds.

Fair play, you may want that full cinematic experience on the move. But i think most people are much happier with something less involving for their commute to work. Myself included.

That said im not condemning this device before it arrives, maybe it'll be great. Maybe the market will shift back towards the hardcore.

But on the evidence of the last few years, casual is the direction that the ship of gaming is drifting in, and it seems unlikely to change any time soon.

Bub

@Calaerial1

I don't think it's a matter of the market shifting. The market is growing wider and there are whole swarths of people playing Angry Birds on their iPhone who probably wouldn't have played video games at all before.

My point is that Sony is not pitching the PSP at the iPhone market. It's pitching at a different market. Whether that market exists of course is a matter of debate, but it's certainly a market for which no device currently exists.

I'm a "professional" in my 30's, used to commuting and business travel. I get far more time to play games when on the move than at when at home with my family. I've love to be able to play "proper" PS3-style games on the tube, on the plane and plugged into the hotel TV in the evenings on business trips. Lots of my colleagues play video games. So I'd imagine "we" would be a reasonable part of a target market.

Anonymous Coward

SE Xperia Play?

So the NGP will eat the new Xperia's market share? Will NGP eat Android or IOS4?

Sly
Grenade

it'll get hacked

and then people will run whatever they want on it since the Sony games aren't worth their time.

Re:Sly

Sounds about right

Known 8 people with PSP's (6 of the people sold em) that only bought 1-2 games before hackin it to run home brew applications.

The 2 people that still have them strictly use it to play emulated (nintendo) games cause in their words the games that are sold for it suck.

i think...

the majority of people who are hardcore gamers just dont even consider buying a handheld.

also, london-centric people, remember the vast majority of people do not commute by train to work. or bus, even. remember there is this big place outside of london, called england, where the majority of people live and work.

if i was to get a handheld it would be a psp2 - the nintendo feels too kiddified to me. but i drive to work.

Jobs Halo

ARM + SGX on your phone, your console, your TV...

The *win* is that it is the same family of CPU & GPU as is in the iPhone, iPad, a whole raft of Android handsets, Palm Pre, and other devices.

A game written for one will be dead simple to get running on the other - this gets them square with Apple/Google on the software front + with Unreal Engine and Rage already geared up and ready to go makes life so much easier for dev's!

Troll

Great

Now they can stop updating the current generation PSPs firmware in an effort to combat homebrew and piracy. Just make sure their next console is up to snuff...

Silver badge
Unhappy

Uh-oh

Just realised, Sony have yet again introduced (drum-roll please...) a new proprietary flash. Presumably the only way they could defend against the original PSPs homebrew weakness.

Go

heheh

I can imagine the headlines next year...

Sony Leaves Day One "System Security 101" hole in PERMANENT EXPLOIT FOR PSP2.

Spend all that time on the complicated stuff while leaving out the basic easy defences.

TBC

Nice hardware perhaps, and they've shelled out on some good titles, but it's the whole package that counts and that's where Sony tends to struggle.

And Sony have a super reputation for screwing customers over and fragmenting their own product line. They'll have to overcome a lot of resentment if they want to win over the hardcore market - and they're the ones with the longest memories.

Anonymous Coward

Touch Screen you say?

I wonder if it will have some of the epic arcade titles you can play in Japan on it then, as I'm chomping at the bit to be able to play border breaker again. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXswexwr6zo&feature=related

Touch screen in games has a lot of potential particularly for rpg/tactical squad stuff/rts and turn based strategy.

I spent a great many Yen on this and an RPG they had.

Stu
FAIL

Not s/w people

If Sonys hardware dev team have proven anything over the last decade or so is that they're extremely poor at developing software, specifically the OS, and in areas of security and OS lockdown, not to mention consistency.

-A random number gen seeded with a constant 4 every time!?

-The PS3 has multitasking simply patched into the firmware, thereby making it so background tasks are extremely limited.

-Removal of the Other OS feature mostly only because it presented an 'attack vector' to the hackers - a slap in the face to those loyal customers making good use of it.

-Charge people an arm and a leg for old content on the PSN and screw everybody around.

-PS Home was just a laugh, a social networking system that demanded a three hour wait time getting between zones, of which the zones are very small, with very little real substance. What substance it did have was charged for - the PSN equivalent of your crazy frog ringtones and graphics.

-Apple devs typically charge anywhere up to a fiver for a game title on their mobile gaming systems (mostly the touch, but includes all the iOS devices). So how much do Sony charge for their wares? And how much will they add on top for PSP2 titles? Didn't PSP1 titles originally retail for £30-40

-Much like how Windows Phone 7 took nearly a full year to arrive since announcement, by the time PSP2 comes out, the technology won't be anywhere near as impressive as it sounds today.

etc. etc.

Then onto their handling of the situation - take the people to court! Fantastic!

For how it should be done, look at how Microsoft recently treated the team who opened up the WM7 platform, essentially open armed.

Basically Sony failed to spot that having a more open platform means more people buy their hardware. It happened on the PSP, and will happen all over again by the end of this year.

So how will Sony treat the implementation of the PSP2, they've got less than 12 months to go about improving pretty much everything they do, and how they go about doing it, and charging a lot less to do it! I'm not holding my breath.

*FAIL icon at the top but I'm sure it'll be a runaway success as the drones buy it in their droves.

Silver badge

Release date?

Sony can claim it will be as powerful as they like if there isn't a release date.

Nice...

But I want UMD compatibility or at least a new Monster Hunter worth playing before I dedicate my student loan to this hulk of a beast.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.