back to article Aussies demand Poms cough up first 'Australia' map

A group of Oz agitators is demanding Blighty hand over the first map of the Lucky Country to use the word "Australia". The Australian "birth certificate" was drawn up by Brit explorer and cartographer Matthew Flinders, a Royal Navy officer, who from 1801-1803 surveyed Terra Australis, as it was then known. The home leg of his …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Given Australia's Heritage

Shouldn't the Australians just steal the map?

2. Lars Silver badge
    Pint

Why not give them a nice copy

And on an other note, suppose the Brits returned the stuff they borrowed from Egypt.

Things are not that straightforward, always, when it comes to history.

3. The Cube
    Thumb Up

Does the map meet any of the requirements for being sent to Australia?

Has it;

1) Been convicted of a serious criminal offence

2) Been found to be too poor to support itself in England and stuffed on a boat

3) Been rounded up by a press gang

4) Been found guilty of being Susan Boyle ugly?

If so then we should stick it on the next convict boat going out, along with Tony Blair, Lord Levy and a whole bunch of other criminal crap we don't need. Tell you what, send the entire Leeds United team as well whilst we're at it.

Thanks for the reminder Australia, what would the civilised world do without a dustbin for our criminals, poor and chavs?

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Maty

Bloody whingeing aussies

Whining that the umpiring was not right for them at the ashes, demanding stuff that's not theirs and never was ... reminds me why we shipped them off to the other side of the planet to start with.

Damn impertinent colonials.

6. Sam 15
    Headmaster

I'm always willing to learn

"Being a school that is named after the great Matthew Flinders, we believe that it is within our responsibility to rise up and fight to reclaim this significant historical map that is rightfully ours."

Right!

I'm off to rename my house "The Royal Mint"....

That's my pension fund sorted.

Sam

(Jimmy Edwards icon because he would have been proud of their avarice)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Paris Hilton

Re: I'm always willing to learn

"Being a school that is named after the great Matthew Flinders"

What kind of dibs and perks do you get if you name your school after Jesus Christ? Or the Marquis de Sade. Or Paris Hilton. Or anyone, really. Whiny high-pitched voice: "Can I have their stuff now, please!" Sheesh!

7. Il Midga di Macaroni
    Pint

Students, politicians and academics? Smells like trouble.

Come on Poms, surely you have groups of students, politicians and academics that come up with idiotic ideas? And you wouldn't want us to think the whole country felt the same way?

If you lot want to send the map over for a touring museum for the anniversary of Flinders' death I reckon that'd be a nice gesture. But in 2015 you can take the bloody thing back again, I don't want to have to pay the power bills for the climate controlled room it has to live in.

And of course if you don't want to come to the party we'll just send Warnie over to beat your whole cricket team single handed. And have affairs with half your female population.

Beer because I can't be bothered arguing.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Australia Day plans

As any good Pom in Australia I shall start today reading El Reg and follow that an in-depth study of Australian culture. Then after breakfast...

9. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Alternatively

Why not give it to the native indigenous people of Australia? I'm sure they know what to do with a piece of old paper.

10. Mr Larrington
    Thumb Down

Dear Australia

Get stuffed. You do realise that Captain Cook only stopped there for a piss, don't you?

PS: http://www.legslarry.org.uk/Pikey/AussieWine.jpg. I need a freshly-'shopped one featuring Ricky Ponting's head on a silver platter.

11. jamie 5

And another thing

I've always though that the US Declaration of Independence is rightfully British, given that it was us they were declaring independence from, surely it must be delivered to the English head of state, or else no independence.

As for the Flinders map, why not have it on display in Australia, given that it's currently doing nothing, and no one back in blighty has any idea who Matthew Flinders was.

In other news, Sydney is too hot.

12. George 24

If Australia is so bad

Why are there so many poms living in OZ? As per the map, it belongs to England.

13. Nick Galloway
    Coat

Modern context

As an Australian, even I can see the logic is truly warped and as others have pointed out, not in the interests of logevity for the document. To put this in a modern context, if I photograph someone's new house for the first time, THEY OWN the photograph?

Not bloody likely. Similarly, if there happens to be some really excellent satellite images of say an Icelandic volcano erupting the owners of the satellite have to hand over rights to Iceland for those images?

Australia has an insurgency movement at work called the Republicans who, though well meaning, don't understand that if you are going to change a system then it needs to be an improvement, not a retrograde step. The current system works rather well, aside from the fact it lets the bleeding hearts be given too much air time.

I'm off for now, just lucky I am out of the country at the moment!?

14. tony trolle
    Grenade

Not just a dark room

needs to waterproof too......

15. s. pam Silver badge
    Headmaster

Fuck 'em they're all crims

why on earth should we give it away in the first place and in the second place only the descendant of the artist would have any prior art claims.

ebay the map to the highest bidder, to pay off some of the UK's national debt would be better!

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bloody Kiwis

Always complaining about something!

17. John Lodge

Who drew this? An Austrialian - Nope

It would seem that the Ozzies are wrong, it was produced by a Brit in the pay of HMG. End of...

18. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

Ahhh Bullshit...

In another few hundred years it will be fucking dust anyway....

Get a super duper high resolution scan of the map and then engrave it into a slab of pure copper and then run off some prints in carbon ink and mausoleum grade paper... so it lasts a LONG time in hermetically sealed controlled atmosphere argon filled glass cases... along with the copper slab.

Hey.... print the fucking thing out on toilet rolls so we can celebrate Invasion Day while we wipe our arses....

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

As Al Murray says ....

The reason it is called a "Test" is because it is a test of our colonial cousins manners - and the Aussies have been bloody rude for years!

20. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

As you can see,...

even tho "Down Under" rates highly on the quality of lifestyle tables, we are not spared the odd gobby dickhead. (Also see "Maoris who want everyone to leave NZ and move back to Europe").

Most antipodeans couldn't give a monkeys about the empire, as long as it stays where it is and doesn't bother us. Get a grip.

21. Rattus Rattus
    Thumb Up

Here's one Aussie

who honestly couldn't give a stuff about some old piece of paper.

Although I am amused to see all the Brit posturing and chest thumping. Don't work up too much of a sweat, guys - you don't want to have to take this year's bath a couple months too early, do you?

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Here's one Aussie

Aussies calling Brits stinky, huh. Is this a thing? Oh, OK. Very good.

1. Rattus Rattus

Re: Re: Here's one Aussie

Yeah, it's a thing. A bit of an older thing, but a thing nonetheless. It's long been opined down here that Brits only bathe once or twice a year due to the vicissitudes of weather.

22. Al x

Aus ancestry

Given their ancestry care should be taken as they might end up just nicking it...?!

23. Alex, Leeds

Who're the Poms?

As we all know convicts were marked with POME (Prisoner of Mother England) surely it's the Aussies that are the poms? I've always wondered about that - although I guess they'd argue that we based in Blighty remain the true prisoners...wrong though.

24. Alex, Leeds
    Stop

Ours

If the measurements were taken and drawn by someone in the employ of the Royal Navy then that makes it ours. End of - quit whinging and draw one yourselves!

25. U4eA
    Thumb Up

Ta muchly El Reg..

..for linking to a decent resolution copy of the map. Now does anybody have a log in for an Aussie FleaBay account I could borrow for a while...?

26. LuisPastor
    Thumb Up

Elgin marbles

This is the greek strategy to recover Parthenon marbles:

http://acartoonaday.blogspot.com/2011/02/elgin-marbles-and-new-troyan-horse.html

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like