Feeds

back to article 2011 Games Preview

Despite continuing 2009's sales dip, 2010 was still a great year for videogames. While the trend showed gaming wasn't impervious to global recession, the sales figures also proved it is firmly established as the world's leading entertainment medium. So how to improve upon a year that saw Super Mario Galaxy 2, Mass Effect 2 and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Silver badge

re: I take it...

FPS and some flight sims. Hate WOW and MMORPGs.

Even so, I used to buy PC games on impulse - just walk into an HMV, look at the pictures, buy a bunch of games, most of them I would never probably even install later on...

Now - I can't buy anything without having to research first what kind of DRM is on it, and if there is an online activation and similar restrictions I will not touch it. So, the loss to the industry is ... great, as I used to buy a lot of games and am now buying bugger all.

Thumb Down

"...are vastly superior on a pad"

Pfft. NOTHING is superior on a pad. Those crappy controllers are one of the primary reasons I will not buy a console at all. The other main reason, of course, being console gamers themselves.

FAIL

GTA IV (PC)...

...requires and has always required only ONE unique username to play 'offline'. No accounts, no passwords. Save at safehouses, same as GTA San Andreas. I've had this grossly under-rated game since release, and have played it this way since the install. Same went for the EFLC titles.

I can't believe there are so many numpties out there that can't/won't read installation instructions. They sure can write an amazon review, though!

Flame

really?

i take it you use a mouse and keys to play football games etc?

get off your high horse before you fall off

Anonymous Coward

re: citazen caned

like me he probably uses a game pad to play some pc games, you can get them quite cheaply. I even used to play flight sims using a force feedback joystick, proper force feedback too, not just a bit of a rumble. On occasion, i have also been known to plug the cheapy wired 360pad i have, specifically bought a wired second controller because i could do this, into my pc.

You can use any control method you like on a pc, i could even use a pen on a graphics tablet! But keyboard and mouse is used primarily because, a) you have it by default and b) it's a bloody good setup for a large chunk of games.

@Citizen Kaned:

Mouse and keys for most games; joystick for flight sims and racing games; shitty, imprecise, RSI-inducing gamepad for NOTHING.

And I think I'd sooner play Hello Kitty Online than stoop to football games or any "sports games."

Bronze badge
Thumb Down

Kinect Forza 4

Even more irritating to use than Mario Kart Wii with the WiiWheel then.

I'll stick to the Mad Cats wheel.

Anonymous Coward

ccp?

no mention of dust 514 which is meant to be out this year. the same year that incarna is meant to be added to eve:online

Bronze badge
FAIL

Here's a novel idea...

... how about someone release a game that's FUN, rather than all this pretty-looking, got-to-have-two-weeks-free-to-play, murder-simulating twitchware that seems to be hogging everything up these days?

Fail. Because this is what the vast majority of games I have tried playing in the last couple of years have done in attempting to entertain me.

MJI
Silver badge

I'd say the Uncharted series are fun

Great sense of humour and very well written

+1

great games. a level above tombraider. decent grown up story too. pity xboxers cant play it as they are truly great games.

FAIL

Duke Nukem ForNever

Sorry but I just checked availablility for Duke Nukem Forever on Amazon.co.uk and it lists a release date of Sept. 2012. If that's accurate then they are wasting their time and would be better off to just drop it. By then most of us who remember chewing ass and kicking bubblegum will have retired and be playing who can drool the farthest instead.

WTF?

That quote was nicked #

Posted Tuesday 11th January 2011 15:14 GMT

from They Live.

Happy

Fun?

I thought Portal was a lot of fun - I hope Portal 2 will be as well. Oh one little thing to the PC gamer bashers - you do realise you can use controllers/steering wheels/joysticks on a PC (normally via USB) as well as mouse and keyboard?

My god, this is like iPhone vs Android...

This argument is almost as good as an iPhone vs Android argument, except here there are 3 sides, PC, PS, Xbox.

Grenade

Always 3 sides

In the phone arguement also has 3 sided but us BlackBerry users are too busy efficiently working to stoop so low as to put forth an opinion!

Grenade

So ...

...apart from crap sequels to overhyped crap games, are there any NEW games coming to market ?

Guess not.

Selling up the console and swapping the PC to Linux is becoming more attractive ...

MJI
Silver badge
Grenade

Overhyped!!!!

So what if there are a lot of sequels, perhaps it is because they are good series.

Portal is anything but overhyped, I just hope Move support is added as I prefer comfy settee to sitting at the PC.

Uncharted - well it is possibly the best console game series of this generation, or it could be Mass Effect?

Lots of really good games, so what if they are sequels?

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Anonymous Coward

Games for 2011

Whilst I wait for HL2: Episode 3, I can at least look forward to Portal 2.

Other than that - the only probable other game will be Lego Star Wars 3 - Clone Wars on the Wii. http://www.lucasarts.com/games/legostarwarsiii/index.jsp

My son (6 years old) loves the other Lego games.

Bronze badge
Alert

You are in a...

...maze of twisty passages

Silver badge
Headmaster

Consoles? Pah!

Anybody who suggests that any autoaim assisted FPS played with a fricking console controller can APPROACH even a mediocre shooter on PC can be discounted as a clueless teen who has no idea about gaming.

Now get the hell off my lawn!

Pirate

I can't believe that no-one has remembered

...Diablo III. OK, so it's not been officially given a release date yet, but all indications are that it will ship in Q4 2011.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.